Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Riley Cooper, Eagle WR " I'll fight every N****R here"

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    You don't like a word? Or when someone uses a word? Then don't use it. Its That simple. If you complain, nobody is gonna listen or care. Whether you realize that or not.
    I know people wont care, it's still my opinion that it's ignorant and doesnt have a place in our society from white or black. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Once again as mentioned before, why does it matter if black people use it or if it's in rap videos? If your daughter made a twerk video and posted on Facebook would you be so flippant and say well why is this a big deal, it's ok for rappers in rap videos?

Can I relate to the hurt of the word as my dad does? No I cant. But it's a demeaning, ugly, hurtful word. Do I know Cooper to be a racist? No but I know what he did was racist and he is ignorant
    Agreed. These are two separate subjects. Just because some blacks use it too much, especially in rap videos, that doesn't give everywhite guy a license to run around calling people the N word in the heat of anger.

If Cooper was hanging out at Vick's house playing xbox and said "damn, N$$&^ that was a sick move" I wouldn't be as upset. The same would apply if Vick said "Damn, cracker etc..."

Context makes a big difference in this situation. But I do feel that Cooper is a legit good guy as his apology seemed heartfelt. Hopefully, he turns this negative into some kind of a positive and it doesn't effect his career.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Yes, the outrage over Cooper is overdone. He didn't go on a Kramer rant (which I did find offensive), he got caught on camera using a word he shouldn't have in a drunken fit. I get it.

What I don't get is why it's so hard for people to understand that there is a difference in certain words or phrases based on the "who" that's delivering them. For example:

You're in an airport. You see some reject kid acting like an idiot at the baggage claim. You turn to your travel partner and you say something like, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids." Then you look to your left and you see a Muslim guy who's been watching the same kid. You hear him say, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids."

If you're telling me that wouldn't bother you on some level, you're lying to yourself. But why would it bother you? He said the exact same thing you did, right? It would bother you because you know that you would never take action against this country, and your comment was just a comment. But you DON'T know how that Muslim guy actually feels about America. So you don't like hearing him say that.

It's okay for you to call your own brother an *******. But if you go to a bar, and some drunk calls your brother an *******, are you going to say, "well yeah, I call him that all the time because he is one." Or are you going to defend him?

I realize these aren't apples/apples comparisons. But try to keep in mind that when the word is used by someone who isn't black, it (often) triggers imagery of when that word was used while blacks were mistreated and viewed as subhuman.

To put it simply, there's just no imagery generated when blacks use it, because black people never enslaved other black people in this country, hung them from trees, forced them to use separate bathrooms, or told them they were only 60% of a man.

I agree with those who say we're better off just getting rid of the word altogether, and I can reluctantly agree that hip-hop is hurting the forward progression. But is there a reason why Cooper didn't choose to say "I will fight every a-hole in here?" Maybe that's worth examining - just my opinion.
    Thank you for this. Reading this thread, I was starting to question if I had anything else in common with the posters on this board other than being a fellow Jets fan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He's doing teh Manning Face

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

"Sticks and Stones" is an English language children's rhyme. It persuades the child victim of name-calling to ignore the taunt, to refrain from physical retaliation, and to remain calm and good-natured. It is reported to have appeared in The Christian Recorder of March 1862, a publication of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, where it is presented as an "old adage" in this form:

Sticks and stones will break my bones
    But words will never harm me.

The phrase also appeared in 1872, where it is presented as advice in Tappy's Chicks: and Other Links Between Nature and Human Nature, by Mrs. George Cupples. The version used in that work runs:

Sticks and stones may break my bones
    But names will never hurt me.

This sentiment is reflected in/reflects the common law of civil assault, which holds that mere name-calling does not give rise to a cause of action, while putting someone in fear of physical violence does.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Yes, the outrage over Cooper is overdone. He didn't go on a Kramer rant (which I did find offensive), he got caught on camera using a word he shouldn't have in a drunken fit. I get it.

What I don't get is why it's so hard for people to understand that there is a difference in certain words or phrases based on the "who" that's delivering them. For example:

You're in an airport. You see some reject kid acting like an idiot at the baggage claim. You turn to your travel partner and you say something like, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids." Then you look to your left and you see a Muslim guy who's been watching the same kid. You hear him say, "I hate this freakin generation of American kids."

If you're telling me that wouldn't bother you on some level, you're lying to yourself. But why would it bother you? He said the exact same thing you did, right? It would bother you because you know that you would never take action against this country, and your comment was just a comment. But you DON'T know how that Muslim guy actually feels about America. So you don't like hearing him say that.

It's okay for you to call your own brother an *******. But if you go to a bar, and some drunk calls your brother an *******, are you going to say, "well yeah, I call him that all the time because he is one." Or are you going to defend him?

I realize these aren't apples/apples comparisons. But try to keep in mind that when the word is used by someone who isn't black, it (often) triggers imagery of when that word was used while blacks were mistreated and viewed as subhuman.

To put it simply, there's just no imagery generated when blacks use it, because black people never enslaved other black people in this country, hung them from trees, forced them to use separate bathrooms, or told them they were only 60% of a man.

I agree with those who say we're better off just getting rid of the word altogether, and I can reluctantly agree that hip-hop is hurting the forward progression. But is there a reason why Cooper didn't choose to say "I will fight every a-hole in here?" Maybe that's worth examining - just my opinion.
    This is fairly well thought out ... And you definitely covered your ass in the last paragraph.

However, it's because of that last paragraph that your initial point is refuted. The idea that a demeaning or derogatory term can be 'owned' by its target is not a belief I subscribe to.

We are better off letting this word 'die'. Rappers using this term, I would argue, keep it more prevalent in today's society ... Ultimately a words context should not be derived by the color of the speakers skin. That kind of thinking is inherently racist IMHO.