Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill wants to be Jets #1 Receiver

Hill wants to be Jets #1 Receiver

Hill wants to be Jets' No. 1 receiver
    July, 31, 2013

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. The New York Jets' wide receiver situation is shaping up, but there are still a lot of question marks. Santonio Holmes, widely regarded as the best on the Jets roster, shows no sign of an imminent return from Lisfranc surgery. Braylon Edwards has been solid, but was signed late and is on a pitch count.

And then there is second-year pro Stephen Hill, who declared on Wednesday that he was ready to compete for the top spot in the rotation.

"Honestly I feel like I can be that guy even if [Holmes] is out there on the field," Hill said. "That's just my competitiveness, that's what I feel like I can do. If I can be that No. 1 wide receiver, that's what I'm striving for. He's definitely going to make that comeback sooner or later, but other than that I'm definitely striving to be that No. 1 guy."

That's quite a statement, especially when you consider Hill is perhaps best known for a costly drop against the New England Patriots in October of his rookie year. There are those who look back at that moment and wonder if the drop changed the trajectory of the entire season. Hill is aware it will be brought up in Week 2 as the Jets prepare to meet the Patriots again, but he doesn't think drops are what define his short career.

"I only dropped three balls last year, that's what I know," Hill said. "I look back at the film because I watch film every day. However that goes, that's people's opinions, that's not facts."

Hill has looked solid in training camp, making tough catches using the benefit of his 6-foot-4 frame. He's even gotten a shoutout from coach Rex Ryan, in a cryptic kind of way.

"I'm not going to comment on Stephen, because he's doing so well I'm not going to comment on him," Ryan said on Monday.

Hill smiled when he heard.

"That's a good thing," Hill said, "but I still feel like I have a lot of things to work on."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez said Hill has returned in better shape and is better prepared, which you would expect of a player with a full NFL season under his belt.

"He looks a little more mature, a little bigger, a little better on his feet. He looks a little more developed, like he's having fun," Sanchez said. "Things aren't moving as fast for him this year. ... Last year, things were kind of spinning for him."

It's a long way from rookie mistakes to the starting spot, but Hill is already talking a big game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-no-1-receiver

Hill is pretty confident, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Hill wants to be Jets' No. 1 receiver
    July, 31, 2013

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. The New York Jets' wide receiver situation is shaping up, but there are still a lot of question marks. Santonio Holmes, widely regarded as the best on the Jets roster, shows no sign of an imminent return from Lisfranc surgery. Braylon Edwards has been solid, but was signed late and is on a pitch count.

And then there is second-year pro Stephen Hill, who declared on Wednesday that he was ready to compete for the top spot in the rotation.

"Honestly I feel like I can be that guy even if [Holmes] is out there on the field," Hill said. "That's just my competitiveness, that's what I feel like I can do. If I can be that No. 1 wide receiver, that's what I'm striving for. He's definitely going to make that comeback sooner or later, but other than that I'm definitely striving to be that No. 1 guy."

That's quite a statement, especially when you consider Hill is perhaps best known for a costly drop against the New England Patriots in October of his rookie year. There are those who look back at that moment and wonder if the drop changed the trajectory of the entire season. Hill is aware it will be brought up in Week 2 as the Jets prepare to meet the Patriots again, but he doesn't think drops are what define his short career.

"I only dropped three balls last year, that's what I know," Hill said. "I look back at the film because I watch film every day. However that goes, that's people's opinions, that's not facts."

Hill has looked solid in training camp, making tough catches using the benefit of his 6-foot-4 frame. He's even gotten a shoutout from coach Rex Ryan, in a cryptic kind of way.

"I'm not going to comment on Stephen, because he's doing so well I'm not going to comment on him," Ryan said on Monday.

Hill smiled when he heard.

"That's a good thing," Hill said, "but I still feel like I have a lot of things to work on."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez said Hill has returned in better shape and is better prepared, which you would expect of a player with a full NFL season under his belt.

"He looks a little more mature, a little bigger, a little better on his feet. He looks a little more developed, like he's having fun," Sanchez said. "Things aren't moving as fast for him this year. ... Last year, things were kind of spinning for him."

It's a long way from rookie mistakes to the starting spot, but Hill is already talking a big game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-no-1-receiver

Hill is pretty confident, isn't he?
    honestly, if he can be a good #2 i'd be happy. the way MM's offense works we need several wrs, rbs and tes. next offseason i imagine they'll address te, and maybe rb if ivory/goodson isn't what they hoped. but if hill can reduce the drops that would be great.

All League
    Definitely has the talent to do it

Will be rooting for him

Bewildered Beast
    I'm pretty confident I want a sammich...a good one.

All League
    3 drops and 21 catches. Averages a drop rate of 12.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    3 drops and 21 catches. Averages a drop rate of 12.5%
    Too small a sample to be meaningful. Hills a stud. You watch.

What a coincidence, Stephen - Jets fans want you to be the #1 receiver.

Now all you have to do is go catch passes and score touchdowns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He's got #1 potential, we could really use a big, fast receiver like him for our offense

All Pro
    #FreeTheKerley

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'm pretty confident I want a sammich...a good one.
    I just had one :

A Ham, Capicola, and Provolone Hero sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I just had one :

A Ham, Capicola, and Provolone Hero sammich.
    Isn't ham and capicola in the same sandwhich redundant?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CurleyJohnson View Post
    So is hero and sammich...but VIN is not known for his cerebral tenacity on JI.
    If we had an IQ test to get on JI, VIN would not be here.

keep your sights LOW when reading VIN posts. This is the guy who had a Sanchez avatar for years...... BTW, he hates Namath.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CurleyJohnson View Post
    Don't disrespect capicola like that.....real men eat italian hot capicola not the american bs they put on subs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Don't disrespect capicola like that.....real men eat italian hot capicola not the american bs they put on subs.

BUtt cappicola vs ham cappicola .

Jets Insider VIP
    Is this thread about Stephen Hill or deli meats?

Or, are we saying Hill is ready to stop being a turkey and hold onto the sandwiches thrown to him?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Or, are we saying Hill is ready to stop being a turkey and hold onto the sandwiches thrown to him?
    A bit of both...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Please stop derailing threads.

Hall Of Fame
    Stephen Hill is our #1 WR.

Spare me the Braylon says hi. And Kerley is a slot receiver.

Nope.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini nowRandy Starks flashback: ... Sanchez pretty deep ball to Hill - dropped. Shades of '12.

Now I've never applied for a job as an NFL team's #1 receiver, but I'm pretty sure receiving would be on prerequisite list.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Stephen Hill is our #1 WR.

Spare me the Braylon says hi. And Kerley is a slot receiver.
    He needs to prove that he is which I think he will. I don't think the weapons will be as bad as people think with or without Holmes. It really comes down to the health of the rbs and the qb play.