Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The J-E-T-S chant is in your hands!"

"The J-E-T-S chant is in your hands!"

Jets NY Jets suggest ‘far-fetched’ way to keep J-E-T-S chant going in absence of ‘retired’ Fireman Ed
    In a book the team sent out to season ticket holders, there is a page titled "The J-E-T-S chant is in your hands!" with a map of MetLife Stadium, divided into four sections, each given a corresponding letter.

By Daniel O'leary / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:28 PM

Perhaps in reaction to the "retirement" of Fireman Ed — the former Gang Green superfan and leader of the "J!-E!-T!-S!" chant who handed off his role last season — the Jets have sent out written instructions to season ticket holders about how to keep the chant around.

In a book the team sent out to season ticket holders, there is a page titled "The J-E-T-S chant is in your hands!" with a map of MetLife Stadium, divided into four sections, each given a corresponding letter. The blurb explains:

"In 2013, we are launching an all-new J-E-T-S chant tradition. As a first step, please find your section on the map for your letter on gameday. Call your Jets Relations Representative to find out more at 800-469-JETS (5387) and start practicing your loudest J-E-T-S chant!"

The instructions were brought to the attention of the Daily News via Twitter user @Jayyyson, who identifies himself as Jason P. from Seacaucus, N.J.

"The @nyjets answer to no more #FiremanEd — Letters by sections" he tweeted Wednesday.

"The idea is far-feteched," he said when reached by the News. "Can't work with a fan who has no idea what section the cutoff is for a certain letter."

"It's better in theory not reality," he said.

Then again, reality has never been the Jet way.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1414370

I am just positive that this is not going to be lame....

I was sort of an Ed fan. Or at least I didn't dislike the guy...thought he played a good role.

But maybe we should just let it go. Or maybe give it a few games and see if a new chant leader....or even a new chant or cheering pattern emerges.

Will non-season ticket holders be allowed to participate or will it offend SAR and his girlie BMW?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Here is how it's done......

Good to see the Jets addressing this pressing issue.

"It's better in theory not reality," he said......Kinda like a Rex Ryan game plan.
    Last edited by FF2®; 08-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.

i hope it works, but i doubt it, i still remember the year in which the fire fraud missed when he was injured in work and missed the season, the stadium was a like a ghost town. and no chants were done.
    Last edited by bigdanNJ; 08-01-2013 at 09:25 AM.

All Pro
    So certain sections will do a letter and it will go around the stadium? Or are they picking people from each section to lead the chant?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The odds are against this sort of thing working. BEFORE the Fireman, they would try to use the scoreboard to do it, but it never worked. You need a guy, in a section, getting everyone's attention. Has to be grass roots.

Timing also matters. Jets fans are cynics. You have to get them at the kickoff or after TD scores (that are meaningful). If you don't do it when the crowd is already worked up, it won't happen. Ed had plenty of failed chants (with the jumbotron) when he did the chant too often or during down times.

My guess is that the person "running" this will not understand the nuance to the dynamic, and it will be an epic fail.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

At least we know that bad ideas aren't confined to football related decisions.

The chant was there before Ed (which he always admitted) and if it is to continue it will come from fans. The problem is the new stadium doesn't target the types of fans who are willing to work that hard to cheer.

To much risk of spilling their nachos or chardonnay.

All Pro
    It's like a verbal 'WAVE'. Kinda cool, in a give me that ol' time football feeling.

We need to get one of those dudes that dresses in a cape to lead the chant. and they have to be in the first few rows on the field level.

then the Jets need to make sure that whoever is the chosen one gets plenty of screen time to get it going.

Ultimately, the Jets really don't need a 12th Man to be effective on defense. Rex is the 12th Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Ultimately, the Jets really don't need a 12th Man to be effective on defense. Rex is the 12th Man.
    The chant is not for the Defense, it is for opening kickoff and after they score.

Jets Insider VIP
    I hope we get rid of the dumbassed chant just as we finally got rid of the dumbassed fireman

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This actually isn't a terrible idea. But I do agree that it needs to be a grassroots thing. I give Ed a lot of credit, what he did wasn't easy, and he had his share of false starts. But when everyone did sync up at the right moment, the result was thunderous. Best cheer in football.

The absolute worst was when they have a mic to that Jenn Sterger girl and she lamely tried to lead the chant. Horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I hope we get rid of the dumbassed chant just as we finally got rid of the dumbassed fireman

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    This actually isn't a terrible idea. But I do agree that it needs to be a grassroots thing. I give Ed a lot of credit, what he did wasn't easy, and he had his share of false starts. But when everyone did sync up at the right moment, the result was thunderous. Best cheer in football.

The absolute worst was when they have a mic to that Jenn Sterger girl and she lamely tried to lead the chant. Horrendous.
    As opposed to the Eagles who do the same exact thing? And don't need a male cheerleader to get it going?

One of the best chants in sports...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    One of the best chants in sports...
    Agree...

Here's an idea how about they use the lights as crib notes to identify the letters in each section. There are those colored bands that change at the mezz level I think they could by used for the chant instead of non stop ads

Go Jets!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bewildered Beast
    You are perverse; when the Jets have momentum it's awesome; and, it's a great, unique chant that 95% of the planet LOATHES.

I love me a timely Jets chant; I live for the genuwine art.ick.all.

All League
    The chant needs the fireman. Period. Otherwise forget it