Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 257

Thread: Camp reports and news 8/1.

  1. #221
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    My only concern would be Ivory other than that:

    - With the way Smith has stepped up Garrard would have held back his
    reps / development

    - With the way the team has been silent about Goodson I believe he is in
    rehab. And if Goodson recognized he had a problem and is addressing it
    I can't complain about it. If he gets clean maybe he comes back
    Very good points.

    Geno is showing that he can handle the extra reps with aplomb, and it's accelerating his development.

    I would rather they take extra care with Ivory's rehab and let him heal properly without rushing him.

    It would be good to hear a bit more about Goodson though...

  2. #222
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I guess it depends on how long each series (by both teams) is. A 3rd series could conceivably start in the 2nd quarter. I'm thinking maybe a quarter per QB with Mac and Simms getting their chance.
    If you are Geno, you would rather be the starter for the second pre season game against Jacksonville. Jets play the Lions in the first game, so Sanchez will go against the Lions #1 defense which is much tougher than the Jacksonville defense.

  3. #223
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Thank you for saving me the time looking that up. We are awful in the redzone aside from the one season with Plax which is absolutely an outlier in sanchez's career.

    The amount of turnovers he has had that cost up points when he should have thrown the ball away is atrocious.

    The guy had a great playoff run for us in 2010. I barely count 2009 as he threw for 65 yards in the last game of the year vs cincy (defense pitched a shutout). Under 200 against them the following week and under 125 vs SD - he simply didnt turn it over.

    Its time for Geno to play and hopefully Rex and MM can get there asap to get him as many reps as necessary.
    Yeah, he makes a ton of mistakes with his reads in situations where the defense tightens up. I think it's his lack of an elite arm downfield, so teams tend to stack the box against him a lot. And he's inaccurate to begin with, because even on completions you see receivers jumping up, down, left, and right to make a catch. And near the Endzone, that gives the defenders enough time to either knock it away or tackle the guy before he goes in for the touchdown.

    I think talent wise, Geno is already the better QB. It's just a matter of politics at this point. I'd rather go with the upside than the proven downside of Sanchez.

  4. #224
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post

    I think talent wise, Geno is already the better QB. It's just a matter of politics at this point. I'd rather go with the upside than the proven downside of Sanchez.
    I could see many franchises sticking with a veteran, even if that means benching him a few weeks later. No one wants to ruin a rookie - and there's a case to be made for waiting.

    But of course there's also a good case to be made for not waiting. Geno is not RG3 - but in recent years guys with good-not-great skills have come in and succeeded at QB without some extended warmup period - wether that's Russell Wilson or Flacco or that ginger in Cincy.

    Plus, with three new faces on board the upper echelon of the team (Marty, Idzik, Lee) I think the emphasis is on getting rid of the stench of the past two years - even if that means some lumps. The fans are behind that plan and I think the team is too. I'd bet that Geno will be named the eventual starter. Luckily our 0-line seems to be coming together nicely - so hopefully we can avoid a Plunkett/Carr/etc type of situation with Geno.

  5. #225
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Jamie Dukes.is a complete douche. They're talking about our QB situation on NFLN and that douche adds in, "they have a QB?". I f'ing hate these ignorant assclowns that comment on teams they've paid all of 5 seconds of attention to. The inaccuracy of their reporting alone is just pathetic. They do themselves no favors by hiring all these former players that can barely speak coherent English.

    Whether it be Geno or Mark, I just want someone to shut these TMZ-level hacks up.
    Lighten up dude. U act they they insulted ur wife or child. I think its hysterical. Good one jamie dukes.

  6. #226
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Lighten up dude. U act they they insulted ur wife or child. I think its hysterical. Good one jamie dukes.
    How is that "hysterical"?

    I fail to see the punch-line in dukes comment.

  7. #227
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...a-f4797bf2bd57


    interview with Sanchez. all the BS questions aside, the interesting/important part is what he has to say about the new offensive coaches.

    apparently, every rep, every play is practiced at 100% speed. that's in contrast to what we heard in past seasons (at least the Schotty years) that the offense wouldn't go full-speed in practice.

    Sanchez says it helps with the focus on getting the play right and limiting mistakes. hopefully that will carry over to the actual games.

    the acquisition of MM is looking better by the day

  8. #228
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...a-f4797bf2bd57


    interview with Sanchez. all the BS questions aside, the interesting/important part is what he has to say about the new offensive coaches.

    apparently, every rep, every play is practiced at 100% speed. that's in contrast to what we heard in past seasons (at least the Schotty years) that the offense wouldn't go full-speed in practice.

    Sanchez says it helps with the focus on getting the play right and limiting mistakes. hopefully that will carry over to the actual games.

    the acquisition of MM is looking better by the day

    Well that IS very interesting. I never knew the Jets weren't going full-speed in practice in past years.

    But anyway, the only thing Mark is excelling at is at Redzone situations(in particular, inside the 10).

    Otherwise, Mark cannot drive down the field whereas Geno can.

  9. #229
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I could see many franchises sticking with a veteran, even if that means benching him a few weeks later. No one wants to ruin a rookie - and there's a case to be made for waiting.

    But of course there's also a good case to be made for not waiting. Geno is not RG3 - but in recent years guys with good-not-great skills have come in and succeeded at QB without some extended warmup period - wether that's Russell Wilson or Flacco or that ginger in Cincy.

    Plus, with three new faces on board the upper echelon of the team (Marty, Idzik, Lee) I think the emphasis is on getting rid of the stench of the past two years - even if that means some lumps. The fans are behind that plan and I think the team is too. I'd bet that Geno will be named the eventual starter. Luckily our 0-line seems to be coming together nicely - so hopefully we can avoid a Plunkett/Carr/etc type of situation with Geno.
    I think in our case, it helps most likely, that Geno has a lot of experience, unlike Sanchez when he first came in.

    Yeah, the O-line is critical when it comes to breaking in a new QB. Carr probably had his career ruined because of having a horrible line (although sadly, his career numbers are still better than Sanchez).

    And yes, having a new system means both the veteran and the rookie are starting off on about the same footing so it's not like Sanchez has a huge advantage in the system. I really don't want them to make a decision based on the fans, because a lot of times fans tend to get caught up in the main stream media BS.

    I think the franchises that stick with their veterans usually have a good guy ahead of him, so as the current team doesn't suffer and the rookie can actually learn from the veteran. Alex Smith in SF turned it around, so Kapernick could learn from him, Farve-Rodgers. Rivers-Brees, Manning-Warner. But I think it becomes a major distraction when the veteran is a terrible player, and the fans along with the team knows that they have a better shot with the rookie. That's why these reports of them being impressed by Geno is important, because it signals a change in the clubhouse, where they are impressed, and now there is doubt if they want Sanchez to lead or not.

  10. #230
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume Geno gets the 1s the next few days, eh? Should be interesting to see how he does in goal line.

  11. #231
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I think in our case, it helps most likely, that Geno has a lot of experience, unlike Sanchez when he first came in.

    Yeah, the O-line is critical when it comes to breaking in a new QB. Carr probably had his career ruined because of having a horrible line (although sadly, his career numbers are still better than Sanchez).

    And yes, having a new system means both the veteran and the rookie are starting off on about the same footing so it's not like Sanchez has a huge advantage in the system. I really don't want them to make a decision based on the fans, because a lot of times fans tend to get caught up in the main stream media BS.

    I think the franchises that stick with their veterans usually have a good guy ahead of him, so as the current team doesn't suffer and the rookie can actually learn from the veteran. Alex Smith in SF turned it around, so Kapernick could learn from him, Farve-Rodgers. Rivers-Brees, Manning-Warner. But I think it becomes a major distraction when the veteran is a terrible player, and the fans along with the team knows that they have a better shot with the rookie. That's why these reports of them being impressed by Geno is important, because it signals a change in the clubhouse, where they are impressed, and now there is doubt if they want Sanchez to lead or not.
    This is the main reason for sitting Geno, at least for a couple of games. You need to make sure the line is up to speed as well as the TEs and backs knowing the blocking assignments.

  12. #232
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    This is the main reason for sitting Geno, at least for a couple of games. You need to make sure the line is up to speed as well as the TEs and backs knowing the blocking assignments.
    Tannehill, luck etc didnt seem to have a problem. They got great experience from being day 1 starters last year. Why cant geno?

  13. #233
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tannehill, luck etc didnt seem to have a problem. They got great experience from being day 1 starters last year. Why cant geno?
    Geno might be ok as well. I trust MM to know whether or not our offensive line is ready to keep our rookie QB upright. It's a new system with two new guards and some new backs and TEs. As soon as they gel, it could be Geno time. Maybe that's game number one. We will see. I just don't want a David Carr situation.

  14. #234
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Geno might be ok as well. I trust MM to know whether or not our offensive line is ready to keep our rookie QB upright. It's a new system with two new guards and some new backs and TEs. As soon as they gel, it could be Geno time. Maybe that's game number one. We will see. I just don't want a David Carr situation.
    Wasnt carr on a 1st year expansion team? We have 2 pro bowlers on the line. Preseason games are right around the corner. I think they will answer alot of these questions.

  15. #235
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Geno might be ok as well. I trust MM to know whether or not our offensive line is ready to keep our rookie QB upright. It's a new system with two new guards and some new backs and TEs. As soon as they gel, it could be Geno time. Maybe that's game number one. We will see. I just don't want a David Carr situation.
    These three words...
    (Or is it four?)

  16. #236
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Wasnt carr on a 1st year expansion team? We have 2 pro bowlers on the line. Preseason games are right around the corner. I think they will answer alot of these questions.
    very true, the pre-season can't get here soon enough.

  17. #237
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    These three words...
    (Or is it four?)
    It's nice to have someone capable running our offense.

  18. #238
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It's nice to have someone capable running our offense.
    First time since the Parcells era!

  19. #239
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez threw another int? holy cow thats almost one every practice.

  20. #240
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    Sanchez threw another int? holy cow thats almost one every practice.
    He is making the decision a little too easy, isn't he?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us