Thread: Banning Words: What the Hell Are We Doing?

Banning Words: What the Hell Are We Doing?

Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language

Published August 02, 2013
    FoxNews.com

Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions.

KOMO-TV reports that the city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to avoid using the words because some may find them offensive.

"Luckily, we've got options."

- Elliott Bronstein, Seattle's Office for Civil Rights

"Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"

In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."

Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.

"They are legal residents of the United States and they are residents of Seattle. They pay taxes and if we use a term like citizens in common use, then it doesn't include a lot of folks," Bronstein said.

Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.

The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Dinosaurs, for example, conjures the topic of evolution, which could rile fundamentalists and birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Halloween, meanwhile, suggests an affiliation to Paganism.

Officials said such exclusions are normal procedure, insisting it’s not censorship.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” a Department of Education spokeswoman told the newspaper last year.
    Banning words.

If it wasn't so believeable, it'd be unbelieveable.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.
    I consider myself fairly educated, but I have never heard of this in my entire life. Is this even true?

Hall Of Fame
    Stuff like this makes me sympathize with the secessionists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I consider myself fairly educated, but I have never heard of this in my entire life. Is this even true?
    I'm with you. Either you're concealing alcohol or you packed a lunch... that's all I got

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'm with you. Either you're concealing alcohol or you packed a lunch... that's all I got
    I have heard the phrase "brown paper bag money" meaning drug money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    this.

I didn't hear anything to the contrary at my monthly racist Tea Party meetings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSokaXZApKg

Brown bag....always been a negative connotation.

As an aside....Gladys sounds remarkably like Sterns "Debbie the Pet Lady"

So "Brown Bag" and "citizen" are insults now?

What's next?

"Hello" being banned because it has the word "Hell" in it?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Mommy and Daddy do everything for Jr. wash his ass till age 35.

A kinder gentler society devoid of any emotion or thought

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'd like to meet this Bronstein guy, just to see if he finds "you stupid f---ing tool" to be an offensive term.

Jets Insider VIP
    Isn't a Brown Bagger a guy who brings his home made lunch to work?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Isn't a Brown Bagger a guy who brings his home made lunch to work?
    Please refrain from use of the "l-word".

It's oppressive to the fat community.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I'd like to meet this Bronstein guy, just to see if he finds "you stupid f---ing tool" to be an offensive term.
    I wonder if he outlawed the N word, cuz its still in wide use and ya know, offensive and whatnot.

Thread title isn't really appropriate. The words are not to be used by government workers, for work related functions. No one is being arrested for saying "brown bag". Also, while i think the brown bag policy is stupid, i don't have an issue with replacing citizen with resident, when you want to refer to residents as opposed to citizens. They do mean different things. I do agree that doing it in the name of sensitivity, or empathy is ridiculous. However half of you guys had no problem with the rage directed at the use of the phrase tar baby, or a white guy painting his face black. I don't see a difference between that and the brown bag nonsense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can I still say "wood"? Is it even more racist if I get it?