Thread: Strip Sack Anyone??

Strip Sack Anyone??

As a Jets fan, I am extremely excited about the play of our D-Line. However, week after week, I watch other teams get to the QB and force the ball out, or slap it out. For our defense to take the step it needs to in these last 3 weeks, we need to not only get to the QB, but get the ball out of his hands. It would be also be helpful if we actually got some short fields and stopped some teams deep in their territory or forced turnovers on their side of the blitz. And Rex, can we pleeeasse stop calling the all out overload blitz on 3rd down?? Everyone knows it is coming, and we haven't gotten to the QB at all on those this year. I know it seems like I am asking a lot, but a dominate Dline should help us get some turnovers on opposing side of the field. I would be very interested to see the numbers of our average starting field position compared with the rest of the league. No better way to groom a young QB than to ask him to start at his own 20 on every possession...

you cant be the best at every statistic. the jets D is #1 against the run.

Veteran
    That'll be tested this weekend. Carolina believes they can run on anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Being #1 against the run doesn't help if you can't stop the pass or force turnovers.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsPT View Post
    As a Jets fan, I am extremely excited about the play of our D-Line. However, week after week, I watch other teams get to the QB and force the ball out, or slap it out. For our defense to take the step it needs to in these last 3 weeks, we need to not only get to the QB, but get the ball out of his hands. It would be also be helpful if we actually got some short fields and stopped some teams deep in their territory or forced turnovers on their side of the blitz. And Rex, can we pleeeasse stop calling the all out overload blitz on 3rd down?? Everyone knows it is coming, and we haven't gotten to the QB at all on those this year. I know it seems like I am asking a lot, but a dominate Dline should help us get some turnovers on opposing side of the field. I would be very interested to see the numbers of our average starting field position compared with the rest of the league. No better way to groom a young QB than to ask him to start at his own 20 on every possession...
    MO got a strip sack on Brees IIRC.......

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Being #1 against the run doesn't help if you can't stop the pass or force turnovers.
    Or more importantly, score on O.

I never asked to be the best at that...but I think getting a turnover in the backfield once every 2-3 games is not unreasonable. The Jets D is no doubt great against the run, however, it is a little easier to be #1 against the run when you can't stop anyone against the pass. If I were an opposing offensive coordinator, I'd rush less than 15 times per game against the Jets D, because they can't stop the pass right now with all this 1 v 1 coverage on the outside. But to ask to see a strip sack from Pace, Wilkerson, or Coples circa John Abraham from a few years ago is not too much to ask IMO.

Carolina is #1 against the run now. People are getting the ball out quick to neutralise our pass rush, if we can continue to cover better more sacks will come.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsPT View Post
    I never asked to be the best at that...but I think getting a turnover in the backfield once every 2-3 games is not unreasonable. The Jets D is no doubt great against the run, however, it is a little easier to be #1 against the run when you can't stop anyone against the pass. If I were an opposing offensive coordinator, I'd rush less than 15 times per game against the Jets D, because they can't stop the pass right now with all this 1 v 1 coverage on the outside. But to ask to see a strip sack from Pace, Wilkerson, or Coples circa John Abraham from a few years ago is not too much to ask IMO.
    When you can't cover and people get the ball out quickly to neutralise your best asset (d-line) the opportunity for sacks diminishes.

Sacks will come with better coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    When you can't cover and people get the ball out quickly to neutralise your best asset (d-line) the opportunity for sacks diminishes.

Sacks will come with better coverage.
    Harrier, I couldn't agree more. That being said, I am at home pulling my hair out when Rex dials up these all out blitzes on 3rd and long which completely neutralizes our chance to getting to the QB. QB checks down to hot read and with our crappy coverage this year, usually gets it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You rarely get a strip sack when your pressure is coming from up the middle and the QB can always see you coming. In the 3-4 your strip sacks come from edges. You normally get strip sacks when the QB can't see you coming and doesn't have time to tuck the ball away.. We are always a day late and a dollar short from the edge. Coples has played much better but he's not quick enough to be an edge rusher. He's a power rusher and is better suited to be a DE in 3-4 or DT in a 4-3.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

With Colpes at OLB don't hold your breath.