Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PFT: Holmes tells friends he’ll miss “at least” four games

Veteran

PFT: Holmes tells friends he’ll miss “at least” four games

Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
    AP

For the winner of the Jets quarterback competition, that could be the only thing he wins for a while.

The Jets don’t have much help for their quarterback. The offensive line, despite the presence of D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, once again has buttfumble potential. The running back depth chart could be topped by a guy who was the odd man out for the Saints for two seasons, if he can get and stay healthy. And the receivers are, relatively speaking, old and/or broken down.

Not quite as old but still too broken down to contribute is Santonio Holmes. According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, the MVP of Super Bowl XLII has told friends he’ll miss at least four games of the 2013 regular season with a foot injury suffered in September 2012.

That could be enough to prompt the Jets to leave Holmes on the PUP list, which would shut him down for at least six weeks.

Without Holmes, the Jets have Stephen Hill, a second-year second-rounder with similar measurables to Calvin Johnson but only a fraction of the production, Braylon Edwards, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley, and a flock of no-names. The tight end position is headlined by Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow, who won a job via a minicamp tryout after a cameo with the Pats in 2012.

So maybe the smart play for Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez would be to tank it for now, and then hope that by the time the Week One starter gets benched, Santonio will be ready to play.

::yikes

Jets Insider VIP
    Sensationalism at its best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not surprising at all.

Already figured they would leave him on the PUP list to start the season and he'd miss the first 6 games.

Oh, woe is us. We'll be lucky to win a game this year! The horror of our "old" receivers. The horror of our "buttfumble" offensive line. Forget that Austin Howard graded out by PFF as one of the top RTs in the league, forget that Willie Colon has been one of the top guards in the league. Forget it! They have BUTTFUMBLE POTENTIAL. The snarky certainty that our Week One starter will eventually be benched.

I don't think I'll watch a game this year after reading this, thanks for the heads up Mike.
    Last edited by Astoria; 08-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Much better than him telling friends "I don't know if I'm going to be able to play this year."

While this sucks for whoever the starter is, imagine if the Jets can somehow keep it at .500 or so through Week 6 and then get a boost from Holmes off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Oh, woe is us. We'll be lucky to win a game this year! The horror of our "old" receivers. The horror of our "buttfumble" offensive line. Forget that Austin Howard graded out by PFF as one of the top RTs in the league, forget that Willie Colon has been one of the top guards in the league. Forget it! They have BUTTFUMBLE POTENTIAL. The snarky certainty that our Week One starter will eventually be benched.

I don't think I'll watch a game this year after reading this, thanks for the heads up Mike.
    What? I know that's not true.

I never expected we would get a 100% healthy Holmes back. Even if he comes back he won't be the same. I've been saying that since the injury. Lisfranc injuries kill careers. And he had the worst grade that you can get with it.

Lets hope that our young WRs continue to step up. From all indications Hill has looked much improved this camp, hopefully it carries over to games. Same thing with Gates. I am also intrigued with Ryan Spadola, he seems to be making plays every practice. I want to see if it carries over to games, if it does maybe we found something there.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
    AP

For the winner of the Jets quarterback competition, that could be the only thing he wins for a while.

The Jets don’t have much help for their quarterback. The offensive line, despite the presence of D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, once again has buttfumble potential. The running back depth chart could be topped by a guy who was the odd man out for the Saints for two seasons, if he can get and stay healthy. And the receivers are, relatively speaking, old and/or broken down.

Not quite as old but still too broken down to contribute is Santonio Holmes. According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, the MVP of Super Bowl XLII has told friends he’ll miss at least four games of the 2013 regular season with a foot injury suffered in September 2012.

That could be enough to prompt the Jets to leave Holmes on the PUP list, which would shut him down for at least six weeks.

Without Holmes, the Jets have Stephen Hill, a second-year second-rounder with similar measurables to Calvin Johnson but only a fraction of the production, Braylon Edwards, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley, and a flock of no-names. The tight end position is headlined by Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow, who won a job via a minicamp tryout after a cameo with the Pats in 2012.

So maybe the smart play for Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez would be to tank it for now, and then hope that by the time the Week One starter gets benched, Santonio will be ready to play.

::yikes
    who cares, hope he stays away for the whole season. he is nothing more then a cancer in the locker room.

Makes perfect sense. Our WRs are all old and brokendown - Hill, Kerley, Gates . . . ancient!

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Makes perfect sense. Our WRs are all old and brokendown - Hill, Kerley, Gates . . . ancient!
    lol didn't catch that part of the article. Floria is such a idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    lol didn't catch that part of the article. Floria is such a idiot.
    JAJH
    just another jet hater

Who's old? Braylon just turned 30 this year. Hardly old for a WR. Do we even have another receiver over 30? If anything our receiving corp is young. Not very good mind you, but young.

He can stay away for good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    He can stay away for good IMO.
    totally agree

Hall Of Fame
    Pretty sure most of us know he'll be lucky to PLAY 4 games ever again.
    He's milking his final paychecks and pretending he'll be back soon.

And FVCK Florio

Holmes has friends? Is this the breaking news? Everyone knew Holmes wasn't going to play at the start of the season.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Holmes has friends? Is this the breaking news? Everyone knew Holmes wasn't going to play at the start of the season.
    I barely speak to Santonio...he told me 8 games.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I barely speak to Santonio...he told me 8 games.

LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Colon had only played guard for what 12 games? and you think he was mentioned as one of the top guards in the game and signed for 1 mil a year?

Old and Broken down? We have the youngest receiving core in the league. The oldest of which likely to make the team is still only 29. Other then Holmes are all on the field ATM too.