Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You don't look Swedish.
    That's because I'm no- Oh.

Also, these "new" smilies suck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    This is manufactured faux-outrage. Go to the supermarket and stand behind "i have coupon for that" lady, then get back to us.

-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    does not compare to "old lady paying in pennies for 20 cans of cat food"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    That's because I'm no- Oh.

Also, these "new" smilies suck.
    +1
    smilies look like those found on a sewing forum for 90 yr old broads

but I think they work well for FFdoot

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only place to get any real science shows anymore are a few YouTube channels.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    The only place to get any real science shows anymore are a few YouTube channels.
    This

Also, what the f*ck happened to the History channel?

It's just pawn and picker shows 24/7.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This

Target audiences and advertising happened.

When you live in a world full of dumb people, it's not surprising that the airwaves are full of dumb programming.

Neil Tyson has more intelligent thought in a 100 character Twitter post than an entire weekend of Discovery/History/Learning Channel programming...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shark Week sucks now. I used to love it but now all the shows are the same. But I want one of those Megaladon teeth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This

I think this is the image you are looking for.
    It got so bad that they had to come up with a History Channel 2 -

now with History!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the cane-shaking is going on, it seems that every redneck with a beard has their own show now.
    All I'm seeing watching Shark Week is commercials for some redneck drunk-ass moonshiner named 'Tickle' - are you ****ing kidding me?

This is 'explore your world' TV?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

now with History!

Ancient Aliens

I can't believe they can show that crap on the "History" channel.

P.S. These new smilies blow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the cane-shaking is going on, it seems that every redneck with a beard has their own show now.
    All I'm seeing watching Shark Week is commercials for some redneck drunk-ass moonshiner named 'Tickle' - are you ****ing kidding me?

This is the sad part.

Obviously, these channels are tailoring their programming for their largest audiences. Pumpkin Chucking. Moonshiners. Duck Dynasty. Pickers. Storage Unit Hoarders. Etc.

Just think how great it would be if people who watched these shows were actually into book learning and these channels helped to see to such book learning.

A shame...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

now with History!
    This is now called H2. It used to be History International, but I guess 8-syllable phrases are too hard for the average American.

At least that channel does try to broadcast history shows, not Ice Truckers 12 or Pawn Stars Wyoming.

And what's with these new smilies? I can barely see these, and I like the old ones better.
    :shakespinkcane:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well there's only about 6 years of WWII to show, they probably ran through it

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...e-documentary/

Shark Week show gets panned for being a fake 'documentary'

On Facebook, Twitter, and across the Web, people lash out against the Discovery network's "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives" for being a sham.

Like the Loch Ness Monster, Abominable Snowman, and Big Foot, a living version of the prehistoric 60-foot Megalodon shark is more fiction than fact. But, the Discovery network's new Shark Week "documentary" would have people think different.

The network kicked off its annual Shark Week television series with a show called "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives," which claims that the finned predator could still be swimming the ocean's depths. However, no scientific evidence proves the creature's existence.

In fact, rather than real footage or actual scientists, Discovery apparently fabricated its Megalodon "evidence" and had actors play the "scientists" interviewed for the show, according to Discover magazine. In its promo commercial for Shark Week (see below), Discovery stages a bogus news event where a rescued seal gets snapped up by a mega-toothed shark.

A fake documentary from a science-based network has drawn fervent criticism from viewers across the Web and on social media. On Shark Week's Facebook page and across Twitter, hundreds of people have shared their disgust with the program.

"Shark week is officially a disgrace after airing that fake documentary," said one Facebook user, while another wrote, "I don't believe anything I see anymore on Discovery. So disappointing. Discovery, you've thrown away your equity and credibility with one stupid mockumentary. Congrats."

Similar chatter has also filled the Twittersphere. At the same time, actor and blogger Wil Wheaton ranted about the show on his blog.

"An entire generation has grown up watching Discovery Channel, learning about science and biology and physics, and that generation trusts Discovery Channel," Wheaton wrote on Monday.

"Someone made a deliberate choice to present a work of fiction that is more suited for the SyFy channel as a truthful and factual documentary. That is disgusting, and whoever made that decision should be ashamed."

Why would Discovery create a fake documentary? In a word, ratings. According to the Associated Press, "Megalodon" racked up 4.8 million viewers giving it the largest audience of any show the channel has aired in the last 26 years of Shark Week.

"We have found that people are open to exploring different ideas and concepts in addition to the more traditional fare that we air," Discovery spokesperson Laurie Goldberg told the Associated Press. "That would explain the ratings. As in any entertainment, you aren't going to always please everyone, but we stand behind all of our content and are proud of it."

But, the stunt could have backfired for many viewers who would have continued watching for the rest of the week. Hundreds of users on Facebook and Twitter claimed they were boycotting the rest of Shark Week and possibly further Discovery programs because of the Megalodon mockumentary.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    This is the sad part.

Obviously, these channels are tailoring their programming for their largest audiences. Pumpkin Chucking. Moonshiners. Duck Dynasty. Pickers. Storage Unit Hoarders. Etc.

Just think how great it would be if people who watched these shows were actually into book learning and these channels helped to see to such book learning.

A shame...
    blame the ratings.
    Deadliest catch or the days leading up to d-day for the 78634th time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

'Mericans who buy stuff (i.e. ad sales) apparently want to watch shows about pawn shops in Vegas, Detroit and Chicago, watch multiple shows about tow truck drivers, watch stuff about moonshining, faked storage locker auction shows from multiple states, gator hunting, boar hunting, varmint hunting, aliens, and mockumentaries about mermaids, monster sharks, bigfoot, etc. Oh, and that Jersey shore bull****.

If there really are aliens out there, they're watching us thinking WTF?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait so you are saying that megaladons aren't real?!?!?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.......... we've only explored about 5% of the planet's oceans.

Also, they went extinct, supposedly, about 250 million years ago........ however, a tooth was found in a South Carolina riverbed, that was carbon dated at 10,000 years old.
    Last edited by Laxman; 08-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Here's the straight poop... its real, its just long dead, unlike what Discovery wants you to believe.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...harks-animals/

The megalodon, a prehistoric shark that would dwarf even the largest great white, hasn't roamed the seas for millions of years. But it's inspiring real dread today, thanks to a new documentary that aired Sunday night on the Discovery Channel and that critics are decrying as fake.

Called "Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives," the two-hour documentary, which Discovery calls "dramatized," kicked off the channel's annual "Shark Week." It featured actors pretending to be scientists who are hunting for a live 67-foot-long (20-meter-long) megalodon nicknamed Submarine that is terrorizing humans and their boats off the coast of South Africa.

The network's insistence—against all scientific evidence—that megalodon might still live angers and exasperates shark scientists like David Shiffman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    My soon-to-be-wife is the queen of "wait right here, I just remembered one more thing!" whilst at the cash register at the grocery store. As she scampers off I'm left there with a queue of angry scowls behind me, trying to make idle chit-chat with the eye-rolling cashier.
    It gets worse post-marriage. Or at least, doesn't change.