Thread: Shark rides N Train in Queens

Jets Insider VIP

Shark rides N Train to Queens

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

No doubt that a cane-shaking Fishooked ran from the train yelling, "F**king Discovery Channel!!!!"

Not a toy: Shark found on New York subway car

130807204351-subway-shark-story-top.jpg

CNN) -- Commuters encountered an unexpected passenger when they boarded a New York City subway train early Wednesday: a shark.

A still wet 1-and-a-half foot shark carcass was discovered on the floor of a subway car at around midnight in downtown Manhattan.

"I thought it was just a plush toy or a prank," passenger Juan Cano told CNN. "When I saw the teeth that's I knew it was real, it was no toy."

The shark, described as weighing between five to 10 pounds, was discovered near a row of seats by passengers on the Queens-bound N train at the 14th Street stop.

The shark had blood on its mouth, as though it has recently been punctured by a fishing hook, according to Cano.

The shark quickly drew a crowd, as entering subway riders began to photograph and pose with the shark, even adding a subway fare card, soft drink can and a cigarette to the supine shark as props.

After several stops, an MTA official entered the train at Queensboro Plaza, cleared it of passengers, and locked its doors, Metropolitan Transit Authority spokesmen Kevin Ortiz told CNN. The shark was removed later that night and disposed of.

The shark's species was never identified.

MTA officials were unable to "determine the shark's origin," according to Ortiz.

This is not the first case of a mysterious shark appearance.

In Nantucket last week, a 5-foot-long shark carcass was discovered outside the door of a bar on Water Street.

"I have no idea how or why it got there." Sea Dog Brew Pub manager Jim Agnew told CNN.

Asked whether anything out of the ordinary happened that evening, Agnew could only point to having to ask two people to leave, but those were "peaceful ejections" he said -- adding that the customs had since returned to the bar.

Some have speculated that the appearance of sharks in mysterious places is a publicity stunt for the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week." Photos of the two mysterious sharks have exploded on social media using the hashtag #sharkweek.

Discovery Channel denies any involvement.

"Shark Week is all about conservation, so it deeply saddens us that someone would think that this was funny or in any way connected to our celebration of sharks," said spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg.

MTA officials told CNN they have no plans to "continue investigating" how the shark got on the subway.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    yeah, its not supposed to be smoking on the subway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

No doubt that a cane-shaking Fishooked ran from the train yelling, "F**king Discovery Channel!!!!"

LMAO!

I saw some type of shark about 8' long hanging from a light pole on Broadway in Washington Heights about 25 years ago. At the time, things were so screwy up there to begin with that the guy I was with just looked at me, rolled his eyes and kept driving. It fit right in with the chaos of every day life there.

sharks on a train? we are screwed

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    sharks on a train
    Coming soon, on SyFy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    LMAO!

I saw some type of shark about 8' long hanging from a light pole on Broadway in Washington Heights about 25 years ago. At the time, things were so screwy up there to begin with that the guy I was with just looked at me, rolled his eyes and kept driving. It fit right in with the chaos of every day life there.
    The fact that a sharking hanging from a light pole only warranted a minor eye roll is fantastic. But it makes sense. What's the protcol for dealing with a hanging 8' aquatic creature on a street corner? I'm guessing they don't address that in the Academy. Prolly a lot of unnecessary phone calls, paperwork and random agencies with acronyms to be involved. Moving on was assuredly the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    sharks on a train? we are screwed
    If Samuel Jackson popped out of the conductor's booth with a "Get these mutha****in' sharks off this mutha****in' train!", that would have been great.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Thanks to Sharknado and his cronies we'll be seeing a lot more of this

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Thanks to Sharknado and his cronies we'll be seeing a lot more of this

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4