Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manish Mehta attacks Jes fans calls us obnoxious, self loathing, classless, etc...

Manish Mehta attacks Jets fans calls us obnoxious, self loathing, classless, etc...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1418423

CORTLAND – Somewhere along the way, a segment of the Jets fan base morphed into sad, self-loathing people who, frankly, don’t deserve a Super Bowl team.

The silent majority of long-suffering fans are sensible, fully appreciative that Rex Ryan’s teams have delivered some indelible moments the past few years, and aware that 2013 will be a rebuilding season.

It’s too bad that the obnoxious minority reared its ugly head by voicing displeasure toward one of its own during an intrasquad scrimmage over the weekend. A few thousand Jets “supporters” hid behind their First Amendment rights when booing Mark Sanchez after an interception in practice.

Antonio Cromartie rightfully called it “bull crap”. . .and he wasn’t alone. It was embarrassing behavior that ran contrary to Ryan’s mission to build excitement entering 2013.

“Hey, you’re preaching to the choir,” Sanchez told the Daily News on Monday about the absurdity of booing players in practice. “You heard what Cromartie said. Cromartie was pissed. Cromartie’s like, ‘What are you talking about? You’re going to come here and boo? For what? Then don’t come.’ A lot of guys feel like that.”

Fans have been understandably frustrated with Sanchez’s penchant for turnovers in the past two seasons, but this was a pathetic display.

It was a free scrimmage. In August.

Although Ryan admitted on Monday that fans “can do whatever they want,” he underscored the need to look beyond the team’s recent mistakes with a positive eye toward the future.

“We want our fans behind us at all times,” Ryan said. “Obviously guys make mistakes. . .We don’t want our guys getting booed, especially from our fans because we all are in green and white, including our fans. This game’s tough enough . . . but we need to support each other.”

Sanchez, who has become an easy target for fickle fans, has always taken the high road in the face of criticism. Not long after his interception prompted boos, he fired a practice-ending 57-yard touchdown to Stephen Hill, which drew a roar from the crowd.

“I throw the interception and people wanted to kick me out of the stadium,” Sanchez said. “I come back and throw the last pass, that’s all you hear when you’re signing autographs: ‘Hell of a pass, man! What a great throw! Great job!’ ”

“It’s not like they’re like, ‘Boo! You threw an interception and you’re a real jerk,’ ” Sanchez added. “It’s not like, ‘Boo! You’re a real a--hole. You’re a bad person. Boo! You speed down the highway, run red lights and punch old ladies.’ No . . . they’re booing because I made a bad play.”
    Rex Ryan wants Gang Green fans behind the team at all times.
    Robert Sabo/New York Daily News
    Rex Ryan wants Gang Green fans behind the team at all times.

The fans who booed on Saturday don’t deserve Sanchez, who once upon a time won four road playoff games with a three-to-one touchdown-to-interception ratio. It may be time to move on if rookie Geno Smith outplays Sanchez in the preseason and earns the starting job, but some Jets fans have turned classless behavior into a science.

They wallow in self-pity, chastising ESPN’s constant airing of the “Butt Fumble,” but invoking it themselves in conversation. They sometimes treat classy people like trash, as if cheering when Chad Pennington suffered an injured ankle in the 2007 season opener will bring them a Lombardi Trophy faster.

Sanchez is a flawed quarterback who helped bring success to this middling franchise. He’s in an open competition with his teammate now. The fans should encourage both guys.

Instead, some poke fun at Sanchez’s head band or make jokes that he jumped the shark. Emboldened Twitter tough guys take their jabs, too.

They want Smith to start. I get it.

However, the crude behavior only serves to make them the butt of jokes around the league. Apparently, they don’t know any better.

So, they continue to boo one of their own.

“What do you do?” Sanchez said in a quiet moment after practice Monday. “What should I say? I can’t sit there and pout. There’s no point. That’s not going to get me anywhere. The more time I spend worrying about that, maybe I don’t realize why I threw the interception. . . . If I’m getting booed, I’m not going to change anybody’s opinion in the 30 seconds I’m allowed to pout. . . . It’s this spiral. Why even go down that road?”

Sanchez joked that he’s gone through enough professional hardship in the past couple years to last 10 lifetimes. He’s been able to compartmentalize the ill will from fans.

“If it hurts you or bothers you or affects you on the next play, then you shouldn’t play this position,” he said. “You have enough inside of you and enough mental makeup to put yourself out there. If you can’t handle the criticism, then don’t do it.”

Sanchez has always been California cool. He may never become what some Jets fans thought he’d be, but he’s been the picture of class.

In that way, Sanchez will always differ from them.
    Last edited by Magnus; 08-08-2013 at 02:22 AM.

All League
    A SEGMENT

Yawn. All part of the same tired cycle.

1) Jets gossip writer pens an article that sounds OUTRAGEOUS and bashes the Jets players or fans.

2) News aggregators like PFT pick up the article and run it nationally because they know it will get clicks.

3) People everywhere who are not Jets fans and have some sort of schaudenfreudic obsession with releasing their small-town frustration at New York click the links in a frenzy.

4) ESPN on air programming picks up the "trending" story and it becomes national "fact".

Boring.
    Last edited by Astoria; 08-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Sanchez the QB, I am not a big fan. Sanchez, the person, ALL CLASS. I am a BIG fan.

I agree with his sentiment but on the other hand Mehta talking about being classless is the pot calling the kettle black.

Banned
    HA.... FVCK YOU MANISH!!!

You're obviously reading this, you hack piece of trash!

Hall Of Fame
    Manish Mehta molests turtles and farts tufts of gerbil fur.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Yawn. All part of the same tired cycle.

1) Jets gossip writer pens an article that sounds OUTRAGEOUS and bashes the Jets players or fans.

2) News aggregators like PFT pick up the article and run it nationally because they know it will get clicks.

3) People everywhere who are not Jets fans and have some sort of schaudenfreudic obsession with releasing their small-town frustration at New York click the links in a frenzy.

4) ESPN on air programming picks up the "trending" story and it becomes national "fact".

Boring.
    Rinse and repeat!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Manish just described himself

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Manish calls the fans classless? It's hysterical.....He is literally the Orchestrator, constantly ripping Mark....helping turn the fans on the player

he's right, of course

Wow. Just wow. Let me preface this by saying I agree that it's to the point that fans are almost wishing for a Sanchez mistake so they can boo him and call him a bum. But seriously Manish? YOU'RE going to call out Jets fans now after spending the entire season last year trying to undermine the team with "anonymous source" quotes left and right about how the entire organization is a joke? He basically made his living last year "reporting" in a manner that is identical to the way the fans acted towards Sanchez in that scrimmage.

It's definitely a pot/kettle situation, but is he wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Wow. Just wow. Let me preface this by saying I agree that it's to the point that fans are almost wishing for a Sanchez mistake so they can boo him and call him a bum. But seriously Manish? YOU'RE going to call out Jets fans now after spending the entire season last year trying to undermine the team with "anonymous source" quotes left and right about how the entire organization is a joke? He basically made his living last year "reporting" in a manner that is identical to the way the fans acted towards Sanchez in that scrimmage.
    ^This. Couldn't have said it better. Manish Mehta put in a 100% total effort last year to create external and internal controversy via his "anonymous source" irresponsible and unprofessional reporting. Well after this whiney article we can add another characteristic to the dubious resume of one Manish Mehta: Hypocrite Extraordinaire

Banned
    EY! MANISH! LEMME BUY YOU A BIG MAC, BEEITCH!

Veteran
    Obviously Mehta is getting what he wants with this article. People clicking and talking about it. He's become quite the tabloid writer since his days at The Ledger with the exception of a few articles (recent Geno article about his play calling in college). This is an example of one of those "tabloid" type articles to get the fans riled up.

But, he's right.

He did say a "segment" of the fanbase, which is true. There is the obnoxious handful out there that seem to take pride when the team is down and that's when they become extremely vocal.

Its training camp for god sakes. I'm not pulling for Sanchez, in fact I feel like his time here has run its course and I'm hoping Smith wins over the coaching staff and starts day 1.

That being said, going to training camp and booing a player during a scrimmage is a classless "look at me" move and the "fans" that did it are the same ones that will get riled up at this article, while probably being extatic that they've drawn this much attention upon themselves. These are the same people that cheered Pennington when he got hurt. They're the people that give Jets Fans as a whole a bad name.
    Last edited by jetsfreak10; 08-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.

The article is right on.

The irony that Manish is the writer is not lost on me. He definitely shouldn't be calling others out based on how he's trashed this team since going to the daily news.

But just taking the article at face value, I agree with it 100%.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I wonder how many times over the last 6-8 months that Manish, either on twitter or in one of his articles, has unnecessarily referenced "the "Buttfumble" or otherwise poked his little stick at similar dead horse issues. Isn't the mocking tone of many of his reports and tweets just as classless, if not more classless than fans booing Sanchez at practice? Regardless of which side of this issue you fall, the fact remains that newspaper writers are expected to have some base level of professionalism and decorum whereas some fans (regardless of the team) can be expected to be classless jerks.

It's certainly an ironic message coming from that writer, however this board is littered with posts that prove the veracity of the article.

f*ck Manish. It's the media that has brought this team down, trying to create infighting in the team