Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 330

Thread: Jets camp 8/6 news thread

  1. #201
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by NxYxJets View Post
    Why do so many people here HATE to hear that Sanchez is doing well?? I don't get it. I understand what he has done the last two years, but has he NOT shown that he can okay well and win in this league?! Geno (who is also having a good camp) is a ROOKIE...had never played a down in the NFL. If he beats Mark out for the starting job, that's a great accomplishment an hopefully he does a great job with the car keys. If he doesn't beat Mark for job, wouldn't you expect that? I mean, Mark is the vet, he has seen a lot more than Geno. Bottom line is I don't care who wins the starting job because to me that's the better option. We can all second guess the FO all day long because we THINK we know more, but we're all just Monday morning qb's and wanna be experts.
    +100000
    I just dont get all the Sanchez HATE! I mean yes the last 2 years he has sucked, but so funny how quickly people forget what he did as a rookie and in his 2nd year. Yes he was surrounded by more talent, but he played his best in the playoffs. But typical of society, its what have you done for me lately. Not the whole body of work. Was he ever gonna be Brady, Manning, etc...no. But with the right OC and talent around him he has proven he can lead a team deap into the playoffs and win games ON THE ROAD. The last 2 years, well mostly last year, he was surrounded by SH*T! No OC, no talent around him. I hope he beats out Geno and proves all wrong! Probably not, since he is still surrounded by crap talent. But all the butt fumbles, and other name calling just goes to show the immaturity of some of the Jets fans. May the best man win, its that simple. All you Sanchez haters can go SAD! how bout being Jets fans instead of such haters!

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    +100000
    I just dont get all the Sanchez HATE! I mean yes the last 2 years he has sucked, but so funny how quickly people forget what he did as a rookie and in his 2nd year. Yes he was surrounded by more talent, but he played his best in the playoffs. But typical of society, its what have you done for me lately. Not the whole body of work. Was he ever gonna be Brady, Manning, etc...no. But with the right OC and talent around him he has proven he can lead a team deap into the playoffs and win games ON THE ROAD. The last 2 years, well mostly last year, he was surrounded by SH*T! No OC, no talent around him. I hope he beats out Geno and proves all wrong! Probably not, since he is still surrounded by crap talent. But all the butt fumbles, and other name calling just goes to show the immaturity of some of the Jets fans. May the best man win, its that simple. All you Sanchez haters can go SAD! how bout being Jets fans instead of such haters!
    Well said!

  3. #203
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Agreed. Four years is a pretty good body of work to judge the guy by and is just plain silly to expect him to play that differently than he has over all this time.
    Yet, there are plenty of QBs that have started poorly, for a variety of reasons..... only to have "the light go on", once experience has kicked in, or a more suitable system is employed. A lot of the fans on this board speak in such "black and white" terms, like "great" or "sucks", that they fail to see the "gray" area. A QB can change how he plays...... this may or may not happen with Sanchez, but the possibility is there, especially with a new system and CS.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Enough talent around him.

    Geez, your misinterpretation doesn't even make sense, since I had added "or flat out suck" to the equation.
    no misinterpretation, "determine his future" may include the possibility of him flat-out sucking.

    i'm just saying, you've got your jimmies all rustled up over nothing. Sanchez "starting" on Friday is consistent with the 2-day rotation they've followed throughout camp. Rex said both guys will play with the 1's and may also play with the 2's.

    the TC competition has been good, both guys have played well, and all indications are that Geno has played better with the exception of the past couple of days. let's see how they handle the preseason action and go from there.

    don't make me break out the "calm down bro" Lemur.

  5. #205
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    If, by "agenda," you mean I would prefer to give someone else a chance other than the guy who has stunk up the joint over the past few years, I guess I have an agenda. I was a huge Sanchez supporter at one time. I have seen enough. A tiger doesn't change his stripes.
    And this is where you're wrong...... as if everything is absolute. S. Young, D. Brees, B. Favre are just three examples of QBs that were not great, until they were in a new system, with some experience. I'm not saying that this is going to be Sanchez's career arc....... but I'd like to see what a good OC can do with him.

  6. #206
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Unless Rex plans to go into the season with Sanchez as the starter, I disagree with his decision about the starting quarterback in the first preseason game.

    Geno desperately needs the reps with the starters (and against the opposing defensive starters). Mark does not.
    Fortunately, the first preseason game has more than a few starters that sit out and what starters play, usually only play a series or two. This is the best case for Geno because he will be able to get more reps (albeit against backups). It's the third preseason game we should be waiting for, whoever starts that game is starting against Tampa.

  7. #207
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,724
    The fact that all three quarterbacks are playing well shows that competition is good.

  8. #208
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    90% of this board conceded before the draft that this was going to be a rebuilding year for the Jets.

    Why then do we need or why are we compelled to throw a rookie QB out there just to satisfy the anti-Sanchez camp? What if Geno gets "David Carr'd" and never rebounds? What then? What would we have accomplished?

    We would have sacrificed a young QB just for the sake of not having to watch Sanchez in a season that was considered a "rebuild" anyway. I don't see the urgency.
    That is a good point. The fans just want something to root for and I think the majority of us feel that Sanchez is not going to give us a reason to cheer. But lets keep in mind that the FO has witnessed a recent run of rookie QBs stepping in and playing well. It is a copycat league and Idzik just lived it last year in Seattle. Then there is the school of thought that you get to really see what a player is made of if you "throw them to the wolves" and see how they respond to taking lumps. Some great QBs have taken their lumps and persevered. Adversity reveals character.

    I don't think we can worry about Geno getting Carr'd even though it is a legit possibility. Scared money don't make money. There are ways for the coaches to protect him. Run the ball, short passes, etc. And I think we have a good OC for that. Carr did take a beating and he did break but maybe a stronger man wouldn't have. We need to find that out about Geno. The only way I would be against him playing is if he shows that he is completely overwhelmed in the pre season games. If he can't recognize blitzes and protect himself. And I don't anticipate seeing that.

  9. #209
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    +100000
    I just dont get all the Sanchez HATE! I mean yes the last 2 years he has sucked, but so funny how quickly people forget what he did as a rookie and in his 2nd year. Yes he was surrounded by more talent, but he played his best in the playoffs. But typical of society, its what have you done for me lately. Not the whole body of work. Was he ever gonna be Brady, Manning, etc...no. But with the right OC and talent around him he has proven he can lead a team deap into the playoffs and win games ON THE ROAD. The last 2 years, well mostly last year, he was surrounded by SH*T! No OC, no talent around him. I hope he beats out Geno and proves all wrong! Probably not, since he is still surrounded by crap talent. But all the butt fumbles, and other name calling just goes to show the immaturity of some of the Jets fans. May the best man win, its that simple. All you Sanchez haters can go SAD! how bout being Jets fans instead of such haters!
    People tend to inflate his first two years because the team played so well. His stats still sucked. A principled argument could be made that they won in spite of him.

    And yes, the supporting cast on offense has been weak the past two years, but good qbs tend to make their receivers look good, not get dragged down by them. I am sick of waiting for Sanchez to come around. Four years is enough.

    There are very few instances of QBs with a body of work as bad as his being allowed to start for this long. It is time to try someone else.

  10. #210
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Sanchez never had a good year. Even in 2009-2011 he was near the bottom of the league in QB ratings.
    Since then he has been historically bad.

    Not sure why people keep bringing up 2009 and 2010. He was terrible in those years. The defense and running game carried the Jets.
    Sanchez had some nice flashes, especially in the playoffs, but his overall numbers were NEVER good.

    He has always been a terrible QB. But as a young QB, it was fair to say he would improve. Unfortunately he did not improve and continued to SUCK.
    As we all know...... 22-26 is a QB's peak years, it HAS to be downhill from there--- he's waaaaay too old.

  11. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Past tense....... meaning, it has nothing to do with the 2013 season. Believe it, or not, Offensive Coordinators and QB coaches do actually make a difference. Sanchez has had a good camp, so has Geno..... the best QB, according to the CS, will start. Pointing out the hypocrisy, in the agenda of fans, doesn't make someone an apologist. Logic and reason is lost on too many fans.
    By all estimations Geno has outplayed Sanchez in camp 95% of the time. Up until that last second bomb Sanchez was having a bad camp. Now, b/c he had 2 good days, all of a sudden that makes up for the 95% of camp that he has played bad? I think the people trying to point out the hypocrisy in the fans rooting for Geno and against Sanchez are the biggest hypocrites. You gave no credit to Geno for playing well in camp while Sanchez was sucking it up. And downplayed any good news about Geno and any bad news about Sanchez throughout camp. But now that Sanchez had 2 good days we're supposed to celebrate like we won the Superbowl. And somehow his 2 good days means more then the 2 weeks of good football that Geno played and the 2 weeks of sh*tty football that Sanchez played? You're the hypocrits. Has it ever occured that we all want the same thing? We all want what is best for the Jets. But some of us believe that anybody but Sanchez is best for the team b/c of how he played last year. Isn't it odd that McElroy took the starting job from Sanchez last year yet he's relegated to 3rd string? Lets be honest, if Sanchez didn't have a huge cap number next to his name he wouldn't even be on the team right now.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    +100000
    I just dont get all the Sanchez HATE! I mean yes the last 2 years he has sucked, but so funny how quickly people forget what he did as a rookie and in his 2nd year. Yes he was surrounded by more talent, but he played his best in the playoffs. But typical of society, its what have you done for me lately. Not the whole body of work. Was he ever gonna be Brady, Manning, etc...no. But with the right OC and talent around him he has proven he can lead a team deap into the playoffs and win games ON THE ROAD. The last 2 years, well mostly last year, he was surrounded by SH*T! No OC, no talent around him. I hope he beats out Geno and proves all wrong! Probably not, since he is still surrounded by crap talent. But all the butt fumbles, and other name calling just goes to show the immaturity of some of the Jets fans. May the best man win, its that simple. All you Sanchez haters can go SAD! how bout being Jets fans instead of such haters!
    it's not that we hate he's doing well. it's that we don't have faith that his good practices will carry over into games. he doesn't make good decisions under pressure and he's not accurate either. we just don't think it matters how sanchez does in practice. and we don't want to watch him suck it up on opening day vs. the bucs, b/c if that does happen the only thing we have for the entire season is when idzik will override rex and geno plays.

    we want sanchez to succeed but we're tired of giving him so many chances. there aren't many qbs who play as lousy as him for as many seasons and keep starting.

  13. #213
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    And this is where you're wrong...... as if everything is absolute. S. Young, D. Brees, B. Favre are just three examples of QBs that were not great, until they were in a new system, with some experience. I'm not saying that this is going to be Sanchez's career arc....... but I'd like to see what a good OC can do with him.
    Which one of those three guys STARTED for four years and played anywhere near as bad as Sanchez has? None of them. It never happened.

  14. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Yet, there are plenty of QBs that have started poorly, for a variety of reasons..... only to have "the light go on", once experience has kicked in, or a more suitable system is employed. A lot of the fans on this board speak in such "black and white" terms, like "great" or "sucks", that they fail to see the "gray" area. A QB can change how he plays...... this may or may not happen with Sanchez, but the possibility is there, especially with a new system and CS.
    How many of those QB's got replaced by a 3rd string QB in year 4 of their development? I'll wait for your answer.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That is a good point. The fans just want something to root for and I think the majority of us feel that Sanchez is not going to give us a reason to cheer. But lets keep in mind that the FO has witnessed a recent run of rookie QBs stepping in and playing well. It is a copycat league and Idzik just lived it last year in Seattle. Then there is the school of thought that you get to really see what a player is made of if you "throw them to the wolves" and see how they respond to taking lumps. Some great QBs have taken their lumps and persevered. Adversity reveals character.

    I don't think we can worry about Geno getting Carr'd even though it is a legit possibility. Scared money don't make money. There are ways for the coaches to protect him. Run the ball, short passes, etc. And I think we have a good OC for that. Carr did take a beating and he did break but maybe a stronger man wouldn't have. We need to find that out about Geno. The only way I would be against him playing is if he shows that he is completely overwhelmed in the pre season games. If he can't recognize blitzes and protect himself. And I don't anticipate seeing that.
    It's also about the refusal to cut bait, none of the other 31 teams in the league would accept that level of play at QB without getting shut.

    Look at the bills, they paid Fitzpatrick, he was nowhere near the level of ineptitude of Sanchez yet they cut bait and moved on.

    Why can't we just move on already?
    Last edited by Harrier; 08-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I said it as soon as we signed him as an UDFA. This kid will make the team and contribute. He performed great at the combine. 4.48 speed and his 6.72 sec three cone drill was the best out of all receivers. Im saying it now, this kid will be a taller version of Wayne Chrebet
    Music to my ears !!

  17. #217
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,985
    Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Sanchez never had a good year. Even in 2009-2011 he was near the bottom of the league in QB ratings.
    Since then he has been historically bad.

    Not sure why people keep bringing up 2009 and 2010. He was terrible in those years. The defense and running game carried the Jets.
    Sanchez had some nice flashes, especially in the playoffs, but his overall numbers were NEVER good.

    He has always been a terrible QB. But as a young QB, it was fair to say he would improve. Unfortunately he did not improve and continued to SUCK.
    Very solid second post.

  18. #218
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,649
    Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Sanchez never had a good year. Even in 2009-2011 he was near the bottom of the league in QB ratings.
    Since then he has been historically bad.

    Not sure why people keep bringing up 2009 and 2010. He was terrible in those years. The defense and running game carried the Jets.
    Sanchez had some nice flashes, especially in the playoffs, but his overall numbers were NEVER good.

    He has always been a terrible QB. But as a young QB, it was fair to say he would improve. Unfortunately he did not improve and continued to SUCK.
    Welcome to the board ag3. You wouldn't happen to be related to sg3 would you?

  19. #219
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Yet, there are plenty of QBs that have started poorly, for a variety of reasons..... only to have "the light go on", once experience has kicked in, or a more suitable system is employed. A lot of the fans on this board speak in such "black and white" terms, like "great" or "sucks", that they fail to see the "gray" area. A QB can change how he plays...... this may or may not happen with Sanchez, but the possibility is there, especially with a new system and CS.
    Seems like people seem to forget that

    1) Shotty was a terrible OC when it came to making adjustments to the defense. Unless you have a Peyton Manning back there, most QB's can't do it on their own

    2) Tony Sparano was a fish out of water as an OC. He was like the gunman who couldn't shoot straight.

    I'm willing to wait and see how Sanchez does with an OC who has proven track record.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Seems like people seem to forget that

    1) Shotty was a terrible OC when it came to making adjustments to the defense. Unless you have a Peyton Manning back there, most QB's can't do it on their own

    2) Tony Sparano was a fish out of water as an OC. He was like the gunman who couldn't shoot straight.

    I'm willing to wait and see how Sanchez does with an OC who has proven track record.
    i think sanchez will be better with these guys running the show. and by the same token, geno's game should evolve faster too. the question for sanchez is, can he execute the offense AND not be among the leaders in turnovers? if he can do that, he's on his way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us