Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets camp 8/6 news thread

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No they don;t HAVE to. They know what Sanchez is. He is NOT a starting caliber QB in the NFL. Continuously coming up with rationalizations for why he has played poorly is freaking ridiculous. He is an anchor to this franchise. But he's Rex's guy so I guess we get to see Sanchez ruin another season. Only upside is that both of them would be gone next year. Of course we won't know what we have in Geno either. Starting Sanchez again is idiotic.
    What happened for the past 4 years has no bearing on this competition. This is a brand new offense and MM & Lee the main evaluators of our offensive talent are new to the team. This gives them a objective chance to evaluate two QB's who are new to their schemes and coaching styles. Those who are saying this is a Rex mandate are out of their mind. Why would Rex who was reportedly on the hot seat "defy" his GM and potentially alienate his offensive staff by forcing his hand at the QB spot , it just makes no sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    What happened for the past 4 years has no bearing on this competition. This is a brand new offense and MM & Lee the main evaluators of our offensive talent are new to the team. This gives them a objective chance to evaluate two QB's who are new to their schemes and coaching styles. Those who are saying this is a Rex mandate are out of their mind. Why would Rex who was reportedly on the hot seat "defy" his GM and potentially alienate his offensive staff by forcing his hand at the QB spot , it just makes no sense.
    You Sir...........

Are consistently a thinking man

Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Sanchez never had a good year. Even in 2009-2011 he was near the bottom of the league in QB ratings.
    Since then he has been historically bad.

Not sure why people keep bringing up 2009 and 2010. He was terrible in those years. The defense and running game carried the Jets.
    Sanchez had some nice flashes, especially in the playoffs, but his overall numbers were NEVER good.

He has always been a terrible QB. But as a young QB, it was fair to say he would improve. Unfortunately he did not improve and continued to SUCK.
    Stats are for losers , bottom line the only stat that really counts is W&L. By purely looking at stats you lose objectivity.
    Look at the offense the Jets ran during those years , look at the gameplans , look at the skill players on O.
    In 2009-2010 the team was built to run the ball and Sanchez did an efficient job at what he was asked to do - be a game manager . THis type of system will never produce eye popping stats.
    In 2011-2012 Oline injuries and FO failures at restocking the offensive talent left a team ill suited to run a scheme the HC was mandating - G&P. Subsequently, the team was put in more adverse passing situations and with a banged up Oline or scrubs playing wr it resulted in a true cluster **** on offense.

Bottom line Sanchez may never be a QB that puts up eye popping stats, but there's no way to really extrapolate his past stats to this season as its a completely different animal on offense - even without real talent at the skill positions.
    Adding MM & Lee open up a new chapter offensively for the Jets , its been noted in TC so far that the O looks much crisper and is besting a pretty good D on many days. Perhaps this is the real change we've all been looking for and the QB was simply the fall guy for some poor mismanagement in the past.

What happened for the past 4 years has no bearing on this competition. This is a brand new offense and MM & Lee the main evaluators of our offensive talent are new to the team. This gives them a objective chance to evaluate two QB's who are new to their schemes and coaching styles. Those who are saying this is a Rex mandate are out of their mind. Why would Rex who was reportedly on the hot seat "defy" his GM and potentially alienate his offensive staff by forcing his hand at the QB spot, it just makes no sense.
    not. that. hard. to. understand.

All Pro
    Stats are for losers , bottom line the only stat that really counts is W&L. By purely looking at stats you lose objectivity.
    Look at the offense the Jets ran during those years , look at the gameplans , look at the skill players on O.
    In 2009-2010 the team was built to run the ball and Sanchez did an efficient job at what he was asked to do - be a game manager . THis type of system will never produce eye popping stats.
    In 2011-2012 Oline injuries and FO failures at restocking the offensive talent left a team ill suited to run a scheme the HC was mandating - G&P. Subsequently, the team was put in more adverse passing situations and with a banged up Oline or scrubs playing wr it resulted in a true cluster **** on offense.

Bottom line Sanchez may never be a QB that puts up eye popping stats, but there's no way to really extrapolate his past stats to this season as its a completely different animal on offense - even without real talent at the skill positions.
    Adding MM & Lee open up a new chapter offensively for the Jets , its been noted in TC so far that the O looks much crisper and is besting a pretty good D on many days. Perhaps this is the real change we've all been looking for and the QB was simply the fall guy for some poor mismanagement in the past.
    The force is strong with this one...

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Which one of those three guys STARTED for four years and played anywhere near as bad as Sanchez has? None of them. It never happened.
    Eli Manning ??

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Well stated.

Eli Manning ??

I hate when people say that.

Eli was really good even in his young years. He always through the hell out of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Eli was really good even in his young years. He always through the hell out of the ball.
    I have some good friends who are die hard Giants fans. The venom that was pointed his way reminds me way too much of last years Tebow fiasco and this years witchhunt of Sanchez.
    Giant fans wanted him gone in the worst way and were *****ing they should have kept Rivers.
    Sure he had talent , he just needed more playmakers and a better offensive gameplan - sound familiar ???

Jets Insider VIP
    Eli Manning ??
    Even when Eli was still going through the ups and downs early in his career, he still showed a lot of flashes of developing into that legit, big time franchise QB.

I could count on one hand how many times we've seen that out of Sanchez over the past 4 years and still have a couple of fingers left over.

- Against the Colts in the 2009 AFC Championship game

- Against Houston during the 2010 regular season

- Against New England in the 2010 AFC Divisional game

That's it.

The kid has been completely ruined ever since Baltimore kicked his ass in 2011.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I'm so glad nobody with an agenda is going to make the QB call. MM should have the most influence, and he comes across as a very fair, prudent individual. Let him evaluate who is best for the system. Not make the call based on who i hate
    I think they said it is going to be as consensus call with coaches having a say including John Idzik. It may be weighted with Rex and MM having biggest input.

Jets Insider VIP
    Torn ACL for Hazelton.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Even when Eli was still going through the ups and downs early in his career, he still showed a lot of flashes of developing into that legit, big time franchise QB.

I could count on one hand how many times we've seen that out of Sanchez over the past 4 years and still have a couple of fingers left over.

That's it.

Oh, I agree I believe the beating he took in 2011 played a major factor is some of the "awlfuness" Sanchez has displayed the past two seasons.

Some of the hits he took that season were vicious ( Balt/Den/Oak) plus many others. It was after the Ravens game that the Jets stopped using the roll-out and it seemed as if the CS was asking him to remain a pocket QB.
    Of course some of the issues are due to the fact Sanchez had a hard time dumping the ball and hung in the pocket for far too long given our OL looked like tissue paper that year.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    They are both learning the offense from scratch. But my point was that it only makes sense to start Sanchez the first pre-season game if this was a real competition. I also was just correcting the poster who said sanchez was having a bad camp, when, as sad as it is, he's having his best one yet.
    Geno is the only one learning the offense from scratch. Mark played in a WCO style at USC and he had private tutoring in the WCO from Jeff Garcia who was under Marty. Mark had months head start on Geno. I've pointed this out multiple times and it seem like people keep forgetting that Mark had a huge head start on Geno. That's what made it so amazing that Geno was doing so well. With MM and Lee this group of QB's is getting superior coaching for the 1st time in years for this team. The idea was to try and get Mark to improve and it looks like he is, but it's still early. Over the next 3 weeks we're going to learn a lot more about our QB's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think they said it is going to be as consensus call with coaches having a say including John Idzik. It may be weighted with Rex and MM having biggest input.
    They did, as it should be, the janitor should weigh in, it would be foolish not to hear every opinion possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    GM John Idzik says he'll have a big input to the starting QB. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ave-a-big-role

Jets Insider VIP
    I actually prefer Sanchez get the start anyway.

By all accounts, the starters are only going to play a series or two.

Just means we get a longer look at Geno playing with the 2's.
    I agree, the starting QB is overrated in preseason games.
    Last edited by RMJK; 08-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.

That's it.

I'll agree he's been garbage since 2011, but he's had more than three "clutch" games. Sure, some of them he stunk for 3.5 quarters, but that almost makes it more impressive that he could find a way to win.

Yeah, the guy's probably shot, but I don't think Eli would have developed either with the supporting cast we've put around Sanchez . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    Geno is the only one learning the offense from scratch. Mark played in a WCO style at USC and he had private tutoring in the WCO from Jeff Garcia who was under Marty. Mark had months head start on Geno. I've pointed this out multiple times and it seem like people keep forgetting that Mark had a huge head start on Geno. That's what made it so amazing that Geno was doing so well. With MM and Lee this group of QB's is getting superior coaching for the 1st time in years for this team. The idea was to try and get Mark to improve and it looks like he is, but it's still early. Over the next 3 weeks we're going to learn a lot more about our QB's.
    I'll agree going out and consulting with Garcia would definitely give Sanchez a head-start as we're talking the same O from the same coordinator. Getting anything from his USC WCO would be analagous to Geno using his computer and scanning for WCO tutorials. I'm sure following the draft Geno had some tutelage on the WCO it just couldn't officially come from the Jets.

Regardless of who wins the QB job, the Jets may finally have an inkling on how to run an offense in today's modern pass happy and offense favored NFL.