Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets camp 8/6 news thread

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Funny thing about Noll is that he quite possibly made the "wrong" decision at QB, but the Steelers were so strong everywhere else that not taking any risks like Bradshaw did led to 4 Super Bowls.
    good post!

I'm thinking QB not a make or break decision; I am interested in being patient here, john. that's my point.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 08-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Ray Ray this was possibly your finest post. This is what's lost on alot of guys here. The best thing possible to happen this year is for Sanchez to have taken all the pressure he has on him and succeed and play to the level he was drafted. It would leave us with 2 good QB's, making either one a solid tradeable commodity. If Sanchez plays well enough that he's no doubt the starter the following season we still have the ability to hold Geno for another year and make the decision in 2015. Bottom line is teams pay alot for relatively unknown commodities at QB. AJ Feely, Kolb, Cassell, Palmer, Schaub, Flynn.......the list goes on. If Sanchez turns it around and plays like a top 5 draft pick QB then Geno gives us a free 1st round pick in the next couple years.....or potentially vice versa. Getting rid of Sanchez or hoping he just sucks does nothing for us at all.
    REP!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Well both QB's are having strong camps and the offense seems to be doing well against a defense with a lot of talent. This is good bro
    Sanchez isn't our future at all. He's just gonna be a backup after this year, so why even bother? I'm sick of watching him invent new ways to **** up on Sundays.

All Pro
    Ray Ray this was possibly your finest post. This is what's lost on alot of guys here. The best thing possible to happen this year is for Sanchez to have taken all the pressure he has on him and succeed and play to the level he was drafted. It would leave us with 2 good QB's, making either one a solid tradeable commodity. If Sanchez plays well enough that he's no doubt the starter the following season we still have the ability to hold Geno for another year and make the decision in 2015. Bottom line is teams pay alot for relatively unknown commodities at QB. AJ Feely, Kolb, Cassell, Palmer, Schaub, Flynn.......the list goes on. If Sanchez turns it around and plays like a top 5 draft pick QB then Geno gives us a free 1st round pick in the next couple years.....or potentially vice versa. Getting rid of Sanchez or hoping he just sucks does nothing for us at all.
    It lets the haters say they were right. Apparently that's more important than football success. So if Geno struggles Friday, will they start calling for McElroy to start the season?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    This is BIGGER than the QB competition.

It's been my mantra in any of my support for Sanchez

I want to see Sanchez with a legit OC, it seems MM and Lee have had a really positive effect on Sanchez, and they will have the same on Smith.

A Sanchez that bounces back, thumbs his nose to his critics and the fanbase that has turned on him, would be awesome.

But better than that, a Sanchez that bounces back, is GOOD for our Jets team, it's just a damn shame TOO many ignorant fans who are BLATANTLY rooting AGAINST Sanchez don't see this.
    Ummmmm this!!!

It is disgraceful that some people actively root against Sanchez even if he plays well like today!!!

Thanks for the updates McGinley and all the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Thanks for the updates McGinley and all the rest!
    Anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Mark Sanchez is like a big steaming turd that won't flush.

I question the notion there was ever true competition here, if they refuse to move on from Sanchez and are prepared to tolerate his level of play they should never of drafted Geno that high to create the illusion of competition, they should of got Sanchez a weapon like Steadman Bailey in the 2nd.

Fact is Sanchez goes when Rex does, how many lives has nacho got? Just history repeating itself over and over.
    No, as someone eloquently stated earlier, if Smith can't beat out Buttfumble/Intchez/Suckchez then maybe he's just not ready yet. Doesn't mean Smith sucks either, just means he's not ready. The league has changed. We had a period where top round QB's had to start immediately regardless of them being ready or not because of the money they were paid. The rookie cap allows some relief to teams to actually develop a prospect a little. A QB who is thrown to the fire when he's not ready yet is going to fail more often than not. The decision is likely Marty's no matter what you're hearing. If he thinks Geno is going to be best at leading his offense then bet your ass Geno's gonna start. If he thinks it's Sanchez then Mark will start.

I'm happy Sanchez is doing well. I don't really care who starts preseason game 1, because Matt Flynn started that last year, and we know what happened.

I want Sanchez to do well, not only because he's on our team and anyone doing well is good for our team, but it does increase his trade value believe it or not. If he goes out there in Detroit and actually plays well, atleast some teams will give him a thought if the need arises. Not saying, let's start planning a first round pick or anything, but even a mid level pick would be better than nothing if he plays well. It also depends on if other teams have injuries (especially Arizona).

Second, Sanchez doing well can only push Geno Smith to be better as well. Smith seemed to recover well from his bad practice yesterday so that's a good sign. And if Sanchez is terrible to start the year, we have a competent replacement this time, so Smith will come in. I think most of the anger about the situation is the timing of it, because Smith outplayed Sanchez for all of camp, except yesterday and today, which just happened to be the day that the starter for the preseason game was going to be determined. And I read plenty of people saying they want Geno to win the competition than Sanchez lose it, so it bodes well in that aspect that Sanchez is stepping up. Now, we wait and see if Geno can go above him in the preseason games. Again, long time to go in the pre-season.

And thanks for the updates guys.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I said it as soon as we signed him as an UDFA. This kid will make the team and contribute. He performed great at the combine. 4.48 speed and his 6.72 sec three cone drill was the best out of all receivers. Im saying it now, this kid will be a taller version of Wayne Chrebet
    with combine #'s like that, how did he go undrafted??

Jets Insider VIP
    Mark Sanchez is like a big steaming turd that won't flush.

I question the notion there was ever true competition here, if they refuse to move on from Sanchez and are prepared to tolerate his level of play they should never of drafted Geno that high to create the illusion of competition, they should of got Sanchez a weapon like Steadman Bailey in the 2nd.

Fact is Sanchez goes when Rex does, how many lives has nacho got? Just history repeating itself over and over.
    Stedman Bailey wasn't picked until late in the 3rd round (#92). People would be complaining that he was a reach at #39.

All Pro
    If Mark Sanchez started playing like a Pro Bowl QB nobody on here would complain, they'd all admit they were wrong, and they'd all be ecstatic.

All that said, most of us live in the real world and know there is 0.1% chance that happens. And that might be generous.

No, as someone eloquently stated earlier, if Smith can't beat out Buttfumble/Intchez/Suckchez then maybe he's just not ready yet. Doesn't mean Smith sucks either, just means he's not ready. The league has changed. We had a period where top round QB's had to start immediately regardless of them being ready or not because of the money they were paid. The rookie cap allows some relief to teams to actually develop a prospect a little. A QB who is thrown to the fire when he's not ready yet is going to fail more often than not. The decision is likely Marty's no matter what you're hearing. If he thinks Geno is going to be best at leading his offense then bet your ass Geno's gonna start. If he thinks it's Sanchez then Mark will start.
    You see this is where it falls flat for me, most training camp reports suggest Geno was ahead going into the scrimmage, this "competion" still is in a state of parity most would agree.

Geno has had a few bad days, Sanchez a few good, just seems to me the benefit of the doubt always seems to go to Sanchez.

He's had two good days and bomb in the scrimmage and he's named starter, we know what we have in him, Geno has earned the chance to be evaluated in preseason and should of been given the chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    If Mark Sanchez started playing like a Pro Bowl QB nobody on here would complain, they'd all admit they were wrong, and they'd all be ecstatic.

All that said, most of us live in the real world and know there is 0.1% chance that happens. And that might be generous.
    T-H-I-S! THIS! THIS! THIS!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Sanchez isn't our future at all. He's just gonna be a backup after this year, so why even bother? I'm sick of watching him invent new ways to **** up on Sundays.
    90% of this board conceded before the draft that this was going to be a rebuilding year for the Jets.

Why then do we need or why are we compelled to throw a rookie QB out there just to satisfy the anti-Sanchez camp? What if Geno gets "David Carr'd" and never rebounds? What then? What would we have accomplished?

We would have sacrificed a young QB just for the sake of not having to watch Sanchez in a season that was considered a "rebuild" anyway. I don't see the urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Stedman Bailey wasn't picked until late in the 3rd round (#92). People would be complaining that he was a reach at #39.
    Good point, Justin Hunter then.

My draft knowledge has declined since April.

You see this is where it falls flat for me, most training camp reports suggest Geno was ahead going into the scrimmage, this "competion" still is in a state of parity most would agree.

Geno has had a few bad days, Sanchez a few good, just seems to me the benefit of the doubt always seems to go to Sanchez.

He's had two good days and bomb in the scrimmage and he's named starter, we know what we have in him, Geno has earned the chance to be evaluated in preseason and should of been given the chance to shine.
    you say Sanchez "has been named the starter" like it means anything. it just means Sanchez will get first shot with the 1's in the preseason game, like Smith had it in the G&W scrimmage. Rex has said they'll split reps with the 1's, again, like they did in the G&W scrimmage.

in fact, going by the 2-day rotation they've followed during all of the training camp, it SHOULD be Sanchez getting the "start" in the first preseason game.

this competition is far from over, you're all freaking out over nothing.

Rookies these days aren't some sacrificial lambs. Neither was Sanchez, fyi. I mean, has no one considered that maybe Mark just isn't that good? Idk, seems plausible...

Point is that we have enough to see if Smith is gonna be able to improve or if he's just gonna flat out suck ass. Starting Mark gives us nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    you say Sanchez "has been named the starter" like it means anything. it just means Sanchez will get first shot with the 1's in the preseason game, like Smith had it in the G&W scrimmage. Rex has said they'll split reps with the 1's, again, like they did in the G&W scrimmage.

in fact, going by the 2-day rotation they've followed during all of the training camp, it SHOULD be Sanchez getting the "start" in the first preseason game.

this competition is far from over, you're all freaking out over nothing.
    dirtstar, the voice of reason. (imagine that) :

Good point, Justin Hunter then.

My draft knowledge has declined since April.
    Hunter was gone before our pick, I think the Titans traded up ahead to pick him up. We've would've been choosing from Woods/Dobson/Bailey group, all three of which I wasn't a huge fan of. The "value" pick was Tank Carredine, but that would've been three straight defensive guys.

I think the Geno pick was great, because imagine the fights if Sanchez was Sanchez and our only other option was Mclroy?