Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets camp 8/6 news thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    By all estimations Geno has outplayed Sanchez in camp 95% of the time. Up until that last second bomb Sanchez was having a bad camp. Now, b/c he had 2 good days, all of a sudden that makes up for the 95% of camp that he has played bad? I think the people trying to point out the hypocrisy in the fans rooting for Geno and against Sanchez are the biggest hypocrites. You gave no credit to Geno for playing well in camp while Sanchez was sucking it up. And downplayed any good news about Geno and any bad news about Sanchez throughout camp. But now that Sanchez had 2 good days we're supposed to celebrate like we won the Superbowl. And somehow his 2 good days means more then the 2 weeks of good football that Geno played and the 2 weeks of sh*tty football that Sanchez played? You're the hypocrits. Has it ever occured that we all want the same thing? We all want what is best for the Jets. But some of us believe that anybody but Sanchez is best for the team b/c of how he played last year. Isn't it odd that McElroy took the starting job from Sanchez last year yet he's relegated to 3rd string? Lets be honest, if Sanchez didn't have a huge cap number next to his name he wouldn't even be on the team right now.
    First off, Sanchez has not had a bad camp..... all reports, I've seen, say that he's been solid to good...... Smith has been on a par with him or better----- doesn't make it a "bad camp".

Second, I have stated in previous posts that Smith has been good..... I haven't taken anything away from Geno. Saying one QB has done well, doesn't mean that the other one sucks. I want the Jets to win, with whichever QB wins the competition. There is no hypocrisy with me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    By all estimations Geno has outplayed Sanchez in camp 95% of the time. Up until that last second bomb Sanchez was having a bad camp. Now, b/c he had 2 good days, all of a sudden that makes up for the 95% of camp that he has played bad? I think the people trying to point out the hypocrisy in the fans rooting for Geno and against Sanchez are the biggest hypocrites. You gave no credit to Geno for playing well in camp while Sanchez was sucking it up. And downplayed any good news about Geno and any bad news about Sanchez throughout camp. But now that Sanchez had 2 good days we're supposed to celebrate like we won the Superbowl. And somehow his 2 good days means more then the 2 weeks of good football that Geno played and the 2 weeks of sh*tty football that Sanchez played? You're the hypocrits. Has it ever occured that we all want the same thing? We all want what is best for the Jets. But some of us believe that anybody but Sanchez is best for the team b/c of how he played last year. Isn't it odd that McElroy took the starting job from Sanchez last year yet he's relegated to 3rd string? Lets be honest, if Sanchez didn't have a huge cap number next to his name he wouldn't even be on the team right now.
    I never got the impression that Geno was outplaying Sanchez in drills. I've seen he's hit more deep balls but not really doing anything that jumped out at me as performing better than Sanchez up until this point. I also don't see how you can consider Mark is having a bad camp. By all indications this looks to have been Sanchez's best camp ever in the pros.

Also I don't understand how it would make any sense to start Geno for the first preseason game. As the incumbent, in a true battle competition (which is what we all wanted) obviously Mark will start the first preseason game, and Geno the second. There isn't wasn't any other possibility for the starters if this a competition. To say Geno "deserves" to start the first preseason game because he hasn't been worse than Sanchez for a week of practice makes as little sense as it does to say Sanchez should start week 1 because he was the starter last year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have all brought valid points to the table about Sanchez and instead of getting into some immature arguement we can just agree to disagree. While his numbers werent "great" his 1st two years, people forget how young the dude was and that he only had 16 college starts. I personally feel like they threw him into the fire too soon, but when your alternative is kellen clemmens you really dont have a choice. But whom ever said they won inspite of Sanchez, why dont you look up his playoff stats, yes the ones that actually matter. He played big in those games. While i am still not sold on sanchez as a true "franchise" QB, i am not sold that he is a complete waste either. just my 2 cents

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    You guys have all brought valid points to the table about Sanchez and instead of getting into some immature arguement we can just agree to disagree. While his numbers werent "great" his 1st two years, people forget how young the dude was and that he only had 16 college starts. I personally feel like they threw him into the fire too soon, but when your alternative is kellen clemmens you really dont have a choice. But whom ever said they won inspite of Sanchez, why dont you look up his playoff stats, yes the ones that actually matter. He played big in those games. While i am still not sold on sanchez as a true "franchise" QB, i am not sold that he is a complete waste either. just my 2 cents
    The one reason why I still had faith in Sanchez up until last year was his ability to play big in big spots. He was inconsistent and at times ugly, but more often then not when it mattered most he came through. The same couldn't be said for our defense during his first two years. Hell Sanchez's best game in college was the Rose Bowl. However 2011 we saw very little of his "winner" ability, and 2012 we saw none of it. I think he's done in NY and probably the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Damn, McGinley is soooo mad
    It is pretty amusing ... I have decided to let the coaching staff deal with the angst of picking a starter and then root for whomever they choose ... until that guy fails.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    While i do agree that he is probably, ok most likely done in NY. I dont think he is done in the NFL. With the right team, right OC he can be a decent NFL QB. My bet, he is backing up Philip Rivers in SD next year. He will be back in sunny cali and wont have the pressure of NY. And not every athlete can handle that. Doesnt make them bad players, i mean these guys arent robots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    @RichCiminiRookie WR Ryan Spadola, Jersey guy, getting some first-team reps in walk-through. #Freehold #Springsteen

#TappingWhileTalking
    Yes!

I'd like nothing more than to be ordering a Ryan Spadola jersey by November!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You want an example of hyperbole (or bad math)?

Camp started 7/26. There were 2 off-days. That mean that, including today, there were exactly 10 days of camp. I believe the first two days were considered to be fairly even. So giving Geno the full win for the middle 6 days, including the G&W game which is generous, that means he 'outplayed' Sanchez 75% of the time. There weren't two weeks of good football before those two days. There were 8 days (over 10 calendar days).

You want to be taken seriously? Try to stay reasonably close to facts and then layer your interpretation/opinion on top of those. But when you make facts up that are really easy to shoot down, the rest of your message gets completely lost. Sorry to pick on this post in particular because it's just one example of many lately.

BTW, nobody is downplaying the good things Geno has done. We're just not anointing him the next great QB in the league based on less than two weeks of preseason practices.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    My god, if everyone was as reasonable and open-minded as you this forum would be boring as hell!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @JetsInsiderGeno threads a pass to Ben Obomanu in 7-on-7s. Just out Lankster's reach. #nyj

#TappingWhileTalking
    Someone yesterday told us that 7 on 7 doesn't matter much. Bummer, because this sounded like a good pass.

Or maybe 7 on 7 doesn't matter much only when Geno hits a LB for an INT?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like I'm the only one who's happy that Geno is going to likely get 2+ quarters of action in his first preseason game, instead of a handful of series in the first quarter. As others have said, the preseason week 1 starter doesn't mean anything... it's an open competition and we all know Mark and Geno have been alternating with the 1s. Now, if Geno doesnt get an opportunity to start in week 2, especially if he outplays Mark in week 1.. well .. that's another story

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I never got the impression that Geno was outplaying Sanchez in drills. I've seen he's hit more deep balls but not really doing anything that jumped out at me as performing better than Sanchez up until this point. I also don't see how you can consider Mark is having a bad camp. By all indications this looks to have been Sanchez's best camp ever in the pros.
    So what you're saying, is that our 4-Year, 68 Start, 6 playoff game QB....in his "best camp ever in the pros".....is playing neck-and-neck and slightly worse than our first year rookie QB who has never taken a snap in the NFL, and is learning the offense from scratch?

And that is good for Sanchez.....how?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    My god, if everyone was as reasonable and open-minded as you this forum would be boring as hell!
    HAHAHA....sorry dude, I know being realistic and boring isnt news worthy, but i can only take soo much of the doom and gloom haters on this board! And not for nothing, i am 38 years old and have had moreee then my share of Jets let downs in my life. I just hope that whomever they pick to start the season at QB the fans get behind him. The boos dont just affect Sanchez, it brings the whole mood of the team down. Who wants to hear boos at their own home game.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yes!

I'd like nothing more than to be ordering a Ryan Spadola jersey by November!
    love those white dudes huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NxYxJets View Post
    Why do so many people here HATE to hear that Sanchez is doing well?? I don't get it. I understand what he has done the last two years, but has he NOT shown that he can okay well and win in this league?! Geno (who is also having a good camp) is a ROOKIE...had never played a down in the NFL. If he beats Mark out for the starting job, that's a great accomplishment an hopefully he does a great job with the car keys. If he doesn't beat Mark for job, wouldn't you expect that? I mean, Mark is the vet, he has seen a lot more than Geno. Bottom line is I don't care who wins the starting job because to me that's the better option. We can all second guess the FO all day long because we THINK we know more, but we're all just Monday morning qb's and wanna be experts.
    It's as if people forget Sanchez was a former #5 overall pick and he is suddenly no better than camp fodder, and Smith should be blowing away the competition.

The agenda has made some fans dumb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @janesportsSomeone appears to pass out in crowd, Mark Sanchez's dad one of the first over to help.

#TappingWhileTalking
    It's the right thing to do. Afterall, the person passed out from shock when Sanchez threw a TD pass.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So what you're saying, is that our 4-Year, 68 Start, 6 playoff game QB....in his "best camp ever in the pros".....is playing neck-and-neck and slightly worse than our first year rookie QB who has never taken a snap in the NFL, and is learning the offense from scratch?

And that is good for Sanchez.....how?
    They are both learning the offense from scratch. But my point was that it only makes sense to start Sanchez the first pre-season game if this was a real competition. I also was just correcting the poster who said sanchez was having a bad camp, when, as sad as it is, he's having his best one yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you his lover or something? Do you wear that same head band around your junk? You criticize the so called "Sanchez Haters" yet you are the complete opposite...a Sanchez lover and apologist. Apparently 2011 and 2012 never happened. Good to know.
    Good to know you are in the same boat as these other agenda driven Sanchez haters. Me pointing out the hypocrisy and obvious agendas of some doesn't mean I'm a Sanchez' lover, don't be a jackass!! I'm completed impartial to who wins the job!!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    And for all the "Know it Alls" here:

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Marty Mornhinweg on why Sanchez is starting Friday night: "He's earned it. He's had an outstanding training camp." #Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    This is the point where we separate the fans who want the team to win, from those who are more concerned they be right about their position on Sanchez. Any evidence to the contrary must be denounced as temporary and meaningless.

I want either or both of the QBs to step it up big now, but there will be a special enjoyment to it if Sanchez really does turn things around because the board is going to be a raging ball of denial for weeks.
    Ha! Awesome. And 100% correct.

Watching Sanchez lovers and Sanchez haters debate is like watching MSNBC and FoxNews try to cover the same story and give you totally different interpretations! As a Jets fan (not a fan of a particular player) I want the guy who gives the Jets the best chance to win starting. And while there are 37 different posters on here who will tell you which guy should start at QB based on one pass in a 7 on 7 drill last week, the guy I want starting is the one that Rex, Idzik and Marty M. decide to start.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.