Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Steve Serby's interview with Geno Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Serby's interview with Geno Smith

The Postís Steve Serby went deep with the Jets rookie quarterback yesterday in Cortland.

Q: Why do you believe you can be a franchise quarterback?

A: Well because, for one, if you talk about the physical aspect of it, I think Iím a pretty decent player as of right now, but Iím only 22 years old. Iíve got a ways to go, Iíve got a lot of room to grow, Iíve got a lot of things to learn ... I can just imagine myself 10 years from now being way better than I am now. Itís going to come with a lot of hard work, and Iím willing to put the work in, day in and day out.

Q: RGIII, Kaepernick, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson ... all of them made big impacts last year. Can you make an impact kind of like they did?

A: I mean, if Iím given a shot, then of course I believe so. Whenever I get my opportunity, Iíll be ready to make an impact. I probably wonít focus on it as much as weíre talking about it, because at the same time, you got to manage the game, and thatís what I try and do on the field.

Q: How would you characterize your on-field temperament or mentality?

A: Very businesslike. Very strict. I can be a bit of a jokester at times, just to kind of lighten the mood up or something if I see the guys are kind of tense. But other than that, Iím very businesslike.

Q: You almost have to be a psychologist, donít you?

A: Yeah. Itís like managing the temperature in your house. You just got to be a thermostat to make sure everythingís at the right perfect cool temperature.

Q: Whatís the funniest joke youíve ever told in the huddle?

A: I think I was cracking on maybe one of the defensive linemen, one of íem may have been a little short and stubby. So I just cracked on him with my offensive linemen and then they went out and just blocked the hell out of him (laugh).

Q: What did you say about him?

A: I donít know, you might talk about his socks, or the way his legs are ... heís probably like 5-6, 350 or something like that maybe.

Q: Do you think youíre mature beyond your years?

A: I think Iím mature, but everyone has a different opinion. I think itís due to the fact that Iím the oldest child. Iíve always been in the leadership role. Especially when it comes to football ó I know what it takes to lead the football team.

Q: What does it take?

A: Maturity. It takes a very strict guy, it takes a guy whoís no-nonsense, it takes a guy whoís never scared. When you think of a leader, heís got to be fearless. You got to have them trust you, especially in the heat of battle, especially when things arenít always going your way, or when itís the biggest situation you can possibly be in.
    Since following Geno a little bit this past college season, and seeing what steps he has taken since being drafted by the Jets, Geno grows on me more and more. He has that "it" factor about him, minus the talent, he just has the work ethic and natural leadership capabilities needed to be a franchise QB. I think he can do it....will he do it? I guess we'll find out in due time....

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...XMyGuTCgeZo1fJ

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read. Thanks for posting.

I agree, Geno grows on me as well. Quite honestly I think he'll win the QB battle. Sanchez sucks. After the buttfumble I gave up on him and I was one of his biggest supporters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was so wrong on this kids attitude. He is saying all the right things there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Nice read. Thanks for posting.

I agree, Geno grows on me as well. Quite honestly I think he'll win the QB battle. Sanchez sucks. After the buttfumble I gave up on him and I was one of his biggest supporters.
    Same here. Geno has the "it" factor. It's something you can't teach, and something Sanchez doesn't have.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like the sky is the limit with this guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Since following Geno a little bit this past college season, and seeing what steps he has taken since being drafted by the Jets, Geno grows on me more and more. He has that "it" factor about him, minus the talent, he just has the work ethic and natural leadership capabilities needed to be a franchise QB. I think he can do it....will he do it? I guess we'll find out in due time....

Same was said about Sanchez. I do not care how he plays to the media. I only care if the kid can play football. Let the preseason begin.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post
    Same was said about Sanchez. I do not care how he plays to the media. I only care if the kid can play football. Let the preseason begin.
    Agreed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post

Minus the talent? Most agree he has the talent but questioned his maturity and psyche which seems to have been misplaced.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Minus the talent? Most agree he has the talent but questioned his maturity and psyche which seems to have been misplaced.
    I was trying to say that...putting talent aside (because it's obvious) he has other factors that make up a good franchise QB, he seems to have the demeanor to lead a huddle effectively.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has had a good camp and will be on the field as soon as Mark throws a few Interceptions to lose us the game. IMO

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    His previous coaches all vouch for him. One coach mentioned the high amount of trust they had in Geno at WVU. The guy said Geno had free reign to change the play at the line. He made the right choice most of the time and he could read the defense and get his team in the right alignment. The coach mentioned his mental ability on top of his physical talent. The guy said he lived in the film room and was given an iPad with the playbook, video of his opponents and video of great NFL QB's that Geno loved to study. He's really nothing like the guy Nolan Nawrocki tried to make everyone think he was.

I'm pulling for the kid to be the starting QB because I believe in his talent and I think he can one day lead this team to a winning season and that we'd have a better chance to win with him at the helm. He's been really on point so far and we'll see how things go for him this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great interview

Smith is fast growing on me as well, he sells himself short on his physical talent. I've been most impressed with the physical talent he's displayed in camp, based on video, and reports, probably even more impressed with maturity, leadership and the "it" factor

Anxious to see him when the bullets start flying.