Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rookie cops shoot 14-year-old dead

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Obama had a son he would look like that kid. #nojustice

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Shot hit the kid in the jaw - that's not center-mass. No question the shooting was justified, though.
    According to the silhouette I shot at for 22 years, that's pretty much center mass.

The use of a firearm is deadly physical force, always, as it is a deadly weapon, not a dangerous instrument. As such, its use is intended to seriously injure or kill, not to wound. Not preaching, simply stating what I was taught.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    According to the silhouette I shot at for 22 years, that's pretty much center mass.

The use of a firearm is deadly physical force, always, as it is a deadly weapon, not a dangerous instrument. As such, its use is intended to seriously injure or kill, not to wound. Not preaching, simply stating what I was taught.
    Did your silhouette not look anything like this? B_27_e_10670.jpg

I think your blue bias is showing. Again, i think the shooting was justified, and i believe he was aimnig as you say at the center mass. He just missed by quite a bit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shot hit the kid in the jaw - that's not center-mass. No question the shooting was justified, though.
    Go to a range.... Use a RED laser target aide and from 20 yards I bet most regular trained LEOs can't fit a target within a one foot circle. That's small.

It ain't like we see on TV. It takes tremendous practice and training. The fact that he hit the kid at all, assuming he was moving a bit, is the sign of a well centered shot.

Just sayin it ain't so simple.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +10000

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Go to a range.... Use a RED laser target aide and from 20 yards I bet most regular trained LEOs can't fit a target within a one foot circle. That's small.

It ain't like we see on TV. It takes tremendous practice and training. The fact that he hit the kid at all, assuming he was moving a bit, is the sign of a well centered shot.

Just sayin it ain't so simple.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post

I think your blue bias is showing. Again, i think the shooting was justified, and i believe he was aimnig as you say at the center mass. He just missed by quite a bit.
    No, it didn't. The NYC silhouette has an outline and a shaded area (which is the area you are meant to aim for), both of which extend to the head. There's even a nifty version that has a nefarious type pointing a revolver at you.

Experience doesn't always equal bias.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

At a probably moving target... head moving up and down... a "miss" like that, oh well. Like previously stated, you shoot a gun with the goal of deadly force. That's it. The goal isn't to shoot the gun out of the kids hand, its to put him down as a threat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old Rocko there, his jaw is pretty close to his chest and center mass. But again, people expect it to be like the movies.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't you guys watch the Zimmerman trial? Better off hitting them in the head. Shoot a guy anywhere else and he has a better chance of killing you.

That rookie cop made a great shot under the circumstances. Many people would have missed. In a perfect world the perp wouldn't have died. Check that, in a perfect world there wouldn't have been a perp.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-08-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it didn't. The NYC silhouette has an outline and a shaded area (which is the area you are meant to aim for), both of which extend to the head. There's even a nifty version that has a nefarious type pointing a revolver at you.

Experience doesn't always equal bias.

Your first photo highlights the center of mass within the inner circle.

My problem with considering a shot through the jaw "close enough" is that if you miss by the same distance laterally, you're likely to hit a bystander. It just seems a little disingenuous to consider the head as part of the center of the body.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    he was on his was to get skittles......
    and Ice tea like Trayvon Martin. If you propose solutions you get attacked as racist. It is all about black kids being raised without married parents IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your first photo highlights the center of mass within the inner circle.

My problem with considering a shot through the jaw "close enough" is that if you miss by the same distance laterally, you're likely to hit a bystander. It just seems a little disingenuous to consider the head as part of the center of the body.
    I've been a cop for 25+ years and can tell you that shooting center mass at a stationary paper target is far easier than shooting an armed and moving human being. I'm guessing either the head was the only body part visible (peering above a car hood for example) or the center mass aimed shot simply struck him in the head.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Lmao...Doggin...I dont see us mouth breathers telling you law....too funny.

Get a clue on this one.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    and Ice tea like Trayvon Martin. If you propose solutions you get attacked as racist. It is all about black kids being raised without married parents IMO.
    Good thing there no divorces in Whiteyland.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I've been a cop for 25+ years and can tell you that shooting center mass at a stationary paper target is far easier than shooting an armed and moving human being
    Furreal?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Without married parents =/= divorce.

Unfortunately I believe there are a much greater percentage of black kids in single parent homes than non-Hispanic white kids - granted, that's often about economics as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I can't imagine what that kid feels like. He was justified but taking the life of a 14 year old must be hard no matter how bad of a kid it was.

I sympathize with LE in times like this. If they don't respond and that kid kills someone they get blamed for not protecting innocent minorities. If they kill him they get blamed for hunting young minority men. If they aim for the legs they might end up getting themselves killed. Thankless job under those circumstances.
    He should be able to sue the whole family for enabling him and allowing him to be on the street a 3AM with a gun. Especially since they are making excuses for the little ****.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Without married parents =/= divorce.

Unfortunately I believe there are a much greater percentage of black kids in single parent homes than non-Hispanic white kids - granted, that's often about economics as well.
    Also divorce is different than not knowing who your dad is or having a dad that isn't involved. I am divorced and my kids an I have a great relationship. We have 50/50 custody and I see my kids almost every day because I coach them and I am there for them. Divorce=/= Absent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Yeah...thats exactly the same thing as kids growing up without a male role model in the home, providing financially, emotionally and otherwise. The truth is so painfully abhorrent to you, you can do nothing but throw weak snark-bombs at anyone speaking it, trying to make it go away as to not hurt your sensibilities.

Newsflash: This philosophy risks nothing, helps no one.... and only aids in perpetuating the very conditions that produce generation after generation of unsocialized, angry kids that end up in jail.

Blaming whitey and spewing empty platitudes that enoble your vision of what should be... instead of what is....is as harmful in the long run...as what any Klansman in a hood could do.

You keep self-hating, we'll deal with the truth.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Yeah...thats exactly the same thing as kids growing up without a male role model in the home, providing financially, emotionally and otherwise. The truth is so painfully abhorrent to you, you can do nothing but throw weak snark-bombs at anyone speaking it, trying to make it go away as to not hurt your sensibilities.

Newsflash: This philosophy risks nothing, helps no one.... and only aids in perpetuating the very conditions that produce generation after generation of unsocialized, angry kids that end up in jail.

Blaming whitey and spewing empty platitudes that enoble your vision of what should be... instead of what is....is as harmful in the long run...as what any Klansman in a hood could do.

You keep self-hating, we'll deal with the truth.

-
    Agree to disagree.

(Klansman bit was top notch btw!)