Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MM: Sanchez to start because "he's earned it. He's had an outstanding training camp."

Starting Sanchez isn't the problem. I have no problem with that, in fact I think it makes sense.

I have a problem with the language MM used to describe Sanchez's performance. To me it's obvious pandering to Sanchez's ego and unnecessary.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Hopefully MM is dumb like a fox, knows Sanchez will sh*t the bed, making it much easier to name Geno the starter on OD.
    You are kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    lol...

good thing you're not getting worked up over this. that would be silly
    Dude. I can rant on the topic of potato chips for 10 pages and 10,000 words.

This reply is, frankly, rather calm and measured for me. It was a foregone conclusion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Mark Sanchez is a 4-year veteran, 4-year starter, 2-time AFCCG QB.

There was no way he wasn't going to get the start in pre-season game #1. None whatsoever, regardless of his play in camp.

As such, like most "Coachspeak", it's utterly irrelevant what MM says about Sanchez's supposed "outstanding" camp thus far, as even a cursory reading of camp reports would expose this line as what it is, coachspeak rah rah bull****.

Getting worked up about it would be silly. It was going to be this way no matter what, thats how the NFL operates, the veteran incumbant gets the nod first at this point.

We'll all get to judge for ourselves how "outstanding" Sanchez looks soon enough, and if Geno looks the part or not.

So congrats to Sanchez for having to have the O-Co basicly defend his decision to start him in the media and court of public opinion. We all know that if Sanchez REALLY had earned the start, no such comments would have ever been required.

Coachspeak is coachspeak, as is best ignored.
    Exactly. Who seriously thought that the incumbent starter, who hasn't officially lost his job to anyone wouldn't start the first game.

Like him or not Sanchez deserves the nod given that he's a 4 year starter.

The other comments are nonsense that coaches always recite at this time of the year. He's not going to say so and so is starting because the other guy has sucked.

Again, haven't we learned by now not to put faith in anything said in pressers? So we believe that he means that he as outstanding.

From what I have heard individually, the only truly bad Sanchez performance this camp has been the scrimmage. I was under the impression that Geno had a slight edge going into the scrimmage but it was close.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Starting Sanchez isn't the problem. I have no problem with that, in fact I think it makes sense.

I have a problem with the language MM used to describe Sanchez's performance. To me it's obvious pandering to Sanchez's ego and unnecessary.
    So you believe a coach, a coordinator, should use language more like a fan on a message board or on a talk show. You actually expect to hear language different than what MM used here. You think a football coach who says the expected is going out of his way to pander the ego of his QB, the one he's trying to replace.

LOL, ok

Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Mark Sanchez haters gonna be looking stupid when he leads us to the playoffs
    That's a problem I'd love to have.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Outstanding???
    What Green and White Scrimmage was MM watching?
    Maybe he was looking at things he was being coached up on, instead of looking at it from a fanboy perspective? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So you believe a coach, a coordinator, should use language more like a fan on a message board or on a talk show. You actually expect to hear language different than what MM used here. You think a football coach who says the expected is going out of his way to pander the ego of his QB, the one he's trying to replace.

LOL, ok
    No, he should simply say Sanchez is the starter.

There is no need to elaborate on his decision. He's the OC of the NYJ and doesn't need to explain his decision on who's starting the first pre-season game. The ONLY reason to explain his decision is to pander.

The statement MM made is the one you make when you choose the starter for the regular season. Who starts the first pre-season game is irrelevant.

Hall Of Fame
    MM- "We're gonna start Sanchez on Friday because Geno hasn't flat out beaten him yet, and we want the rookie to get as many live reps as possible heading into the regular season.
    And with that, I'll open it up for questions"

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    No, he should simply say Sanchez is the starter.

There is no need to elaborate on his decision. He's the OC of the NYJ and doesn't need to explain his decision on who's starting the first pre-season game. The ONLY reason to explain his decision is to pander.

The statement MM made is the one you make when you choose the starter for the regular season. Who starts the first pre-season game is irrelevant.
    i agree with this and your previous post. MM's comments also implies that geno hasn't earned it when most camp observers believe he has. truth, it doesn't matter who starts this game. but since the wording comes right after the fans are being warned not to boo sanchez, and when you consider all that's happened the past 4 years, some interpret it as coddling and/or ego stroking.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Dude. I can rant on the topic of potato chips for 10 pages and 10,000 words.

This reply is, frankly, rather calm and measured for me. It was a foregone conclusion.

This is awful.

All League
    The decision to let the starters stay on the field with Geno bothers me. Then we will see Geno vs. a second team defense with staters and increase the chance of injuries to our starters.

Just give Geno an extended look in week 2. For the "Geno or nothing" people, it is great news.

This game is not a game...it's still a competition for the Jets' starting QB job....I would start Sanchez too. He's the incumbent, let him start....it means nothing as to who will start week 1.

All Pro
    Sanchez is the incumbent veteran in an even competition. Of course he's going to start the first preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post
    This game is not a game...it's still a competition for the Jets' starting QB job....I would start Sanchez too. He's the incumbent, let him start....it means nothing as to who will start week 1.
    i actually think it does. there are many here who have posted that if the competition is even, that geno would start. if there's any takeaway from this decision it's that sanchez will probably start if it's even, if only to give geno more time to learn the pro game.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't think people are upset because MS is starting, I think people are confused because MM said MS was outstanding.
    Agreed

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    The decision to let the starters stay on the field with Geno bothers me. Then we will see Geno vs. a second team defense with staters and increase the chance of injuries to our starters.

Just give Geno an extended look in week 2. For the "Geno or nothing" people, it is great news.
    I think Rex, think, Rex means play with the 1st string against, against the 1st string.

Hall Of Fame
    I always thought he was going to get the start regardless. He is the incumbent and the competition hasn't been completely one-sided. No issues with this. Geno has to earn the job.