Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: What is the huge urgency to start Geno??

  1. #1

    What is the huge urgency to start Geno??

    What is the rush to get Geno out there? This whole "he needs reps" is nonsense. Geno didn't sign a 50 million dollar contract. There is no sudden urgency to throw him out there because he HAS to be the guy. Ask any Offensive Coordinator and they will tell you that absent a ridiculous amount of talent, a QB is better off sitting his first year. The Giants sat Eli for 8 games after trading damn near their entire draft AND giving him a huge contract. Aaron Rogers sat for 3 years. Chances are he would have busted out of the league if he started right away. Phillip Rivers sat his first season. Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round knowing he was going to be the replacement for Smith, yet he still sat him for a season and a half. THERE IS NO URGENCY TO START GENO! This is NY and the fans and media are practically seething right now. Put Geno out there for the first 5 games and he falls on his face.....then what? Put Mark back in? What will that do to Geno's confidence?

    This past offseason it was pretty much a 100% concensus that we were going to suck this year. I don't care what you guys think of Spadola or Hazelton (who's out now) or Braylon Edwards, the truth is our WR's are pretty average at best. Our running backs are a M.A.S.H. unit or just plain MIA. Our TE's borderline suck. Our OL has a ton of questions. We're frankly not rolling either QB out there with a whole lot of support. Unless Geno is truly outperforming Sanchez then let him sit. Let him learn the NFL game outside of the spotlight. We just drafted potential franchise QB. We did just about everything wrong that we could with Sanchez. He had no business starting as a rookie. Why can we not learn from our mistakes and move forward doing the right thing with Geno? Let him sit and learn. Put the pieces in place with another offseason that give him true weapons to work with that will be here with him for a long time. But don't just rush him out before he's ready simply because "he needs the reps".

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,417
    Brady and Brees also did not start from day 1. Between those two and Rodgers, you've got 3 of the best 4 QB's in the league, future Hall of Fame players. The impatience of the fans here, that Geno MUST start from day 1, is short-sighted IMO. If Geno isn't ready, no biggie, let him watch and learn and we'll get him some weapons next offseason.

  3. #3
    Because rookie QBs now start right away and perform well. And people don't want to see Sanchez throwing turning it over anymore.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    I honestly think it's not about Geno starting, but about Sanchez NOT starting. And worse, I think the thing they fear the most is that Sanchez will play well and utterly undermine the last few weeks of their ranting posts.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,760
    I'll be relieved if Geno does not start Day 1, I prefer he sits. However, it's a tough argument to make if Geno is clearly outplaying Mark - it seems he is outplaying Mark but not overwhelmingly so. Geno isn't RG3 or Andrew Luck but their immediate success will be the argument for staring Geno Day 1.

    I disagree however that the Jets made a mistake starting Mark Day 1. It was the perfect situation to start a rookie QB, great O Line, very good weapons and run game, elite defense. Mark wasn't damaged by starting early, he wasn't David Carr getting shell shocked. He was propped up by those guys. Mark simply doesn't have the awareness or timing to be a top tier QB, we thought he had it but he never did and it's clear now that he never will.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,976
    Personally, I don't think there should be an urgency to start Geno Smith. If he proves that he is capable of effectively running the offense during training camp and preseason, then he should be given the opportunity to show how he performs and develops when the real games begin.

    It's on Geno's shoulders to win the job and prove he belongs in that huddle. The coaching staff needs to recognize potential over a proven commodity, and not turn a blind eye on the future in favor of complacency.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,242
    Just as Clemens should have started over Sanchez four years ago, Sanchez should be starting over Smith right now. It's almost always advantageous to a rookie's development if he gets a chance to watch and digest before being thrown into the fire.

  8. #8
    1st off Sanchez was not mismanaged. For the 1st 3 years everyone said the JETS brought Mark up the right way then all of the sudden we did it all wrong in year 3. BS. I never heard one football guy say Mark shouldnt have started day one or that starting his 1st year was a mistake. It was always oh he handles NY so well and look at who supports him. He was the king of the hill after 09 and that was with like a 50 QBR. You added a lot of talent around him and he had a great ground game to back him up. Some of that thinned out and Mark flat out never progressed. Now I never believed in him once. Hoped I would be wrong but never saw what some other said they saw.

    To answer your question. You dont need top rush Geno to start pre season games, I agree. That said Sanchez is no closer to being a viable starter then Geno is right now. At some point this year Geno will play ready or not. It is going to happen. Sanchez starting week one is just a bad thing in every way possible. If you force him out there because you dont have faith in Geno to win then what does that do to Genos confidence? He wasnt better option to start then a guy almost no one wants. Then he is going to at some point set out onto a hostile NY field after Sanchez has been pretty much run off. You dont think he will see that and be shaken? Our 1st 4 games are not hard and any D will be confused by a rookie QB. Mark has lost the lock room Im sorry but it is true. He wouldnt even be on the team if not for his contract which has crippled the team a few years now. Geno doesnt have a lot of high expectations because he wasnt a high pick and is a rook. Geno has a chip on his shoulder and want to prove people wrong. The team will respond to that and that is what gives us a better chance of winning games. If he falters no big deal the media will just say he is a rookie and brush it off his 1st year. Even if at some point we have to put Mark in I dont see that as being a big deal. We should have done that with Mark and we didnt IMO. If he is truly the man of the future that isnt an issue. Bottom line is he will not be crucified because he is learning and that is the impotent part to take for this. If you start Mark then pull him there is no going back IMO. If you start Geno then bench him for a few tough games you can always go back to him. It is best for both of these guys if Geno is the starter week 1 and the team IMO. Mark will have a lot harder time being anointed yet again the start because we dont want to use the other guy. The team, the fans, and the media will just pound him into the ground when he fails yet again.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    What is the rush to get Geno out there? This whole "he needs reps" is nonsense. Geno didn't sign a 50 million dollar contract. There is no sudden urgency to throw him out there because he HAS to be the guy. Ask any Offensive Coordinator and they will tell you that absent a ridiculous amount of talent, a QB is better off sitting his first year. The Giants sat Eli for 8 games after trading damn near their entire draft AND giving him a huge contract. Aaron Rogers sat for 3 years. Chances are he would have busted out of the league if he started right away. Phillip Rivers sat his first season. Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round knowing he was going to be the replacement for Smith, yet he still sat him for a season and a half. THERE IS NO URGENCY TO START GENO! This is NY and the fans and media are practically seething right now. Put Geno out there for the first 5 games and he falls on his face.....then what? Put Mark back in? What will that do to Geno's confidence?

    This past offseason it was pretty much a 100% concensus that we were going to suck this year. I don't care what you guys think of Spadola or Hazelton (who's out now) or Braylon Edwards, the truth is our WR's are pretty average at best. Our running backs are a M.A.S.H. unit or just plain MIA. Our TE's borderline suck. Our OL has a ton of questions. We're frankly not rolling either QB out there with a whole lot of support. Unless Geno is truly outperforming Sanchez then let him sit. Let him learn the NFL game outside of the spotlight. We just drafted potential franchise QB. We did just about everything wrong that we could with Sanchez. He had no business starting as a rookie. Why can we not learn from our mistakes and move forward doing the right thing with Geno? Let him sit and learn. Put the pieces in place with another offseason that give him true weapons to work with that will be here with him for a long time. But don't just rush him out before he's ready simply because "he needs the reps".

    Thank you for your sound post....

    Ummmmmm I said the same thing about 6 months ago and people out here insulted me to no end. They insisted I was doing all manner of sexual conduct with Sanchez all because I was saying what you said here..

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    1st off Sanchez was not mismanaged. For the 1st 3 years everyone said the JETS brought Mark up the right way then all of the sudden we did it all wrong in year 3. BS. I never heard one football guy say Mark shouldnt have started day one or that starting his 1st year was a mistake.
    If I remember correctly, the majority of the players on offense wanted Clemens to be the starter. They certainly qualify as "football guys".

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,246
    Because if he is capable the quicker he gets in the faster you find out if he is the guy. I'm totally against this two Qb crap, however, in this instance and this instance only I would be for it because I would like to see Geno get some acclimation to the NFL rather than sit on the sidelines and waste a whole year I don't believe Sanchez is leading this team to the SB, so.

  12. #12
    He needs to start because we need to know as soon as possible if he is our answer at QB. He is being paid backup money so there is no reason we cant try again in 2014 if needed. I dont care if we win 2 or 10 games, we need a solid QB to set us up for the next decade. I hope it Geno is the answer so we can draft a skill position next year in the first round.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Brady and Brees also did not start from day 1. Between those two and Rodgers, you've got 3 of the best 4 QB's in the league, future Hall of Fame players. The impatience of the fans here, that Geno MUST start from day 1, is short-sighted IMO. If Geno isn't ready, no biggie, let him watch and learn and we'll get him some weapons next offseason.
    True, but unless we're a highly unlikely 6-3 or 7-2 at the bye (with hypothetically #6 under center), Geno needs to get significant starting playing time this year. At the very worst, it will at least answer the question of "Should we be drafting a QB in 2014?" It's the ideal scenario because if Geno shows he belongs, we're gravy and we're getting a potentially above-average QB for a few years and a boatload of cash in cap space with a QB making under $2 million per year. If he sucks or he's iffy, then we gotta go back and use a high pick on a QB. It's annoying, but it's really the only way you can win a Super Bowl these days...it's virtually impossible to win with a below-average QB.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    1st off Sanchez was not mismanaged. For the 1st 3 years everyone said the JETS brought Mark up the right way then all of the sudden we did it all wrong in year 3. BS. I never heard one football guy say Mark shouldnt have started day one or that starting his 1st year was a mistake. It was always oh he handles NY so well and look at who supports him. He was the king of the hill after 09 and that was with like a 50 QBR. You added a lot of talent around him and he had a great ground game to back him up. Some of that thinned out and Mark flat out never progressed. Now I never believed in him once. Hoped I would be wrong but never saw what some other said they saw.

    To answer your question. You dont need top rush Geno to start pre season games, I agree. That said Sanchez is no closer to being a viable starter then Geno is right now. At some point this year Geno will play ready or not. It is going to happen. Sanchez starting week one is just a bad thing in every way possible. If you force him out there because you dont have faith in Geno to win then what does that do to Genos confidence? He wasnt better option to start then a guy almost no one wants. Then he is going to at some point set out onto a hostile NY field after Sanchez has been pretty much run off. You dont think he will see that and be shaken? Our 1st 4 games are not hard and any D will be confused by a rookie QB. Mark has lost the lock room Im sorry but it is true. He wouldnt even be on the team if not for his contract which has crippled the team a few years now. Geno doesnt have a lot of high expectations because he wasnt a high pick and is a rook. Geno has a chip on his shoulder and want to prove people wrong. The team will respond to that and that is what gives us a better chance of winning games. If he falters no big deal the media will just say he is a rookie and brush it off his 1st year. Even if at some point we have to put Mark in I dont see that as being a big deal. We should have done that with Mark and we didnt IMO. If he is truly the man of the future that isnt an issue. Bottom line is he will not be crucified because he is learning and that is the impotent part to take for this. If you start Mark then pull him there is no going back IMO. If you start Geno then bench him for a few tough games you can always go back to him. It is best for both of these guys if Geno is the starter week 1 and the team IMO. Mark will have a lot harder time being anointed yet again the start because we dont want to use the other guy. The team, the fans, and the media will just pound him into the ground when he fails yet [SIZE=3]again.
    [B]Ummmm I am SORRY numerous predraft reports said Sanchez was NOT ready to start right away!![/B]

    Look at this one instance!!



    http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/594

    Exclusive Emails to Subscribers for NFL Draft

    QB Mark Sanchez #6 - 6’2” 225 lbs. - Southern Cal - Sp. 4.9 - Hindu Theory - Matt Cassel
    Athletic strong armed junior QB has developed quickly over his short Pac 10 career while earning conference honors over his final performance. Mark surprisingly entered this draft class after basically just one season as the Trojan starting QB. Though he has enormous potential as a pro, he was a surprising addition to this class. His decision to turn pro was probably influenced by this year’s weak group of senior passers. He will most likely earn a high draft ranking on upside potential despite his limited playing experience. He is an above average athlete who has a very good arm and a quick compact delivery that allows him to deliver the ball with excellent velocity, good timing, touch and fine accuracy. He has progressed quickly in all aspects of play since starting at times as a sophomore while subbing for the injured John David Booty. He is a quality passer with fine measureables, including a very strong arm with adequate footspeed that allows him to escape from heavy pass pressure. He can make the quick proper read and deliver the ball into tight spots in the intermediate and short zones. He is an average runner, but shows the ability to throw effectively on the move as well as move quickly within the pocket. He has a very good arm that the pro scouts seek in a prospect with the ability to drive the ball down the field and drop the ball into holes in coverage. As a junior, he made fewer mistakes and made fast progress for a prospect with such limited playing experience. At times, he attempts to do too much to lead his offense that leads to mistakes and turnovers. He is an accurate thrower with the touch to deliver all the passes, and showed fast improvement especially in the deep game over his late career. He displays a live arm with enough mobility and the touch and timing to make the big throws that the position demands. Over his career, he improved his accuracy despite limited playing time. He has a fine delivery and setup with the quick release and follow through to complete the pass. He has the arm to make all the throws and is very effective on the shorter and intermediate routes, leading the receivers nicely to run after the catch. He delivers the ball with good velocity and accuracy with the toughness to hang in the pocket and make the difficult throw. He is very competitive, hard working and shows the ability to direct an offense. As a junior, his decision-making and maturity improved further, though he still needs pocket development and reps in reading coverage.
    The Numbers: As a junior, he completed 241 of 366 pass attempts for a 65% for 3207 yards with 34 TDs and 10 picks in 13 starts. During his sophomore season, he started just 3 games and threw for 695 yards with a 60% completion rate with 7 TD passes and 5 picks while backing up John David Booty. Over his career, he made only 16 starts with the great majority of his production over his final performance. At the NFL Combine, he ran a 4.93 time with a 32.5” VJ, 9’8” BJ and nice agility drills. In the passing drills, he showed a strong arm with the timing and touch to make all the throws. He is similar to the former Trojan Matt Cassel in size, AA and upside potential.
    The Skinny: This guy looks like a possible top ten prospect off his overall talent and value of the position. He has the arm, mobility and smarts to earn a pro starting grade but only after extensive development. He is a fine prospect with definite NFL starting talent and upside to become a top flight leader. He should move up fairly fast on the depth charts after development. He has the physical and mental talent to be a fine NFL starter with outstanding upside as a passer, but must refine all aspects of the position to be ready for the pro game. Probable early pick in the 1st round with the Jaguars, 49ers and Seahawks all interested. Top 10 prospect with the skill set to be a fine pro leader in time, but he is not ready for prime time playing time early in his career.Draft Projection: 1st Round


    Only the Jets ignored this advice saying they knew best better than all the other scouting reports combined which I highlighted. It is simply not relevant what talent you have around you if you are not ready to start in the NFL and require ime being properly groomed something Shotty and coach Cav (Rex's buddy) were not equiped to provide....

    That my friend is the DEEFINITION of mismanagement!!!

  15. #15
    At this point, I don't even care anymore. Sanchez will start the season and be awful, and Wrecks still won't bench him. Same ****, different year.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,671
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I honestly think it's not about Geno starting, but about Sanchez NOT starting. And worse, I think the thing they fear the most is that Sanchez will play well and utterly undermine the last few weeks of their ranting posts.
    LOL!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    If I remember correctly, the majority of the players on offense wanted Clemens to be the starter. They certainly qualify as "football guys".
    I actually wasnt talking about the team but yes some of the vets did want Clemens. Clemens had obviously not looked very good in camp however. I remember watching the competition and not one day did he really look better then Mark. The players wanted to win like most players do and felt he gave them a better shot at that. It was a contender team that went with a rookie QB. That was a hard pill for some of the players to swallow Im sure. This is a much different situation though. Sanchez had had his shot and I find it hard to believe the locker room thinks he gives them a better shot to put up numbers and win games. Your talking 4 years of below average numbers on Mark not exactly what other players are looking for. If he was a low 80s QBR guy maybe but he has never even been that good.

  18. #18
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,308
    I believe we are .500 or worse at the bye & that is when the switch will be made.

    Only thing that will alter this is if Geno plays so well & proves to MM that he is light years ahead of most prospects & ready for prime time before that ... Otherwise they kid glove treatment him.

    I'm very happy MM is the guy who will make the decision of WHEN Geno is ready

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    [B]Ummmm I am SORRY numerous predraft reports said Sanchez was NOT ready to start right away!![/B]

    Look at this one instance!!



    http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/594

    Exclusive Emails to Subscribers for NFL Draft

    QB Mark Sanchez #6 - 6’2” 225 lbs. - Southern Cal - Sp. 4.9 - Hindu Theory - Matt Cassel
    Athletic strong armed junior QB has developed quickly over his short Pac 10 career while earning conference honors over his final performance. Mark surprisingly entered this draft class after basically just one season as the Trojan starting QB. Though he has enormous potential as a pro, he was a surprising addition to this class. His decision to turn pro was probably influenced by this year’s weak group of senior passers. He will most likely earn a high draft ranking on upside potential despite his limited playing experience. He is an above average athlete who has a very good arm and a quick compact delivery that allows him to deliver the ball with excellent velocity, good timing, touch and fine accuracy. He has progressed quickly in all aspects of play since starting at times as a sophomore while subbing for the injured John David Booty. He is a quality passer with fine measureables, including a very strong arm with adequate footspeed that allows him to escape from heavy pass pressure. He can make the quick proper read and deliver the ball into tight spots in the intermediate and short zones. He is an average runner, but shows the ability to throw effectively on the move as well as move quickly within the pocket. He has a very good arm that the pro scouts seek in a prospect with the ability to drive the ball down the field and drop the ball into holes in coverage. As a junior, he made fewer mistakes and made fast progress for a prospect with such limited playing experience. At times, he attempts to do too much to lead his offense that leads to mistakes and turnovers. He is an accurate thrower with the touch to deliver all the passes, and showed fast improvement especially in the deep game over his late career. He displays a live arm with enough mobility and the touch and timing to make the big throws that the position demands. Over his career, he improved his accuracy despite limited playing time. He has a fine delivery and setup with the quick release and follow through to complete the pass. He has the arm to make all the throws and is very effective on the shorter and intermediate routes, leading the receivers nicely to run after the catch. He delivers the ball with good velocity and accuracy with the toughness to hang in the pocket and make the difficult throw. He is very competitive, hard working and shows the ability to direct an offense. As a junior, his decision-making and maturity improved further, though he still needs pocket development and reps in reading coverage.
    The Numbers: As a junior, he completed 241 of 366 pass attempts for a 65% for 3207 yards with 34 TDs and 10 picks in 13 starts. During his sophomore season, he started just 3 games and threw for 695 yards with a 60% completion rate with 7 TD passes and 5 picks while backing up John David Booty. Over his career, he made only 16 starts with the great majority of his production over his final performance. At the NFL Combine, he ran a 4.93 time with a 32.5” VJ, 9’8” BJ and nice agility drills. In the passing drills, he showed a strong arm with the timing and touch to make all the throws. He is similar to the former Trojan Matt Cassel in size, AA and upside potential.
    The Skinny: This guy looks like a possible top ten prospect off his overall talent and value of the position. He has the arm, mobility and smarts to earn a pro starting grade but only after extensive development. He is a fine prospect with definite NFL starting talent and upside to become a top flight leader. He should move up fairly fast on the depth charts after development. He has the physical and mental talent to be a fine NFL starter with outstanding upside as a passer, but must refine all aspects of the position to be ready for the pro game. Probable early pick in the 1st round with the Jaguars, 49ers and Seahawks all interested. Top 10 prospect with the skill set to be a fine pro leader in time, but he is not ready for prime time playing time early in his career.Draft Projection: 1st Round


    Only the Jets ignored this advice saying they knew best better than all the other scouting reports combined which I highlighted. It is simply not relevant what talent you have around you if you are not ready to start in the NFL and require ime being properly groomed something Shotty and coach Cav (Rex's buddy) were not equiped to provide....

    That my friend is the DEEFINITION of mismanagement!!!
    I am a draft guy and I always said he was a 3 year project. Fact is he looked better then Clemens. You say mismanaged but that was not the voice of the fan base or media once he played his 1st game. Cam Newton, RG3, Wilson, Tannhille, and Flacco was mismanaged by that definition because none of them where pro ready. If your arguing where we drafted him then yes I agree we mismanage that draft pick. If your arguing how we handled him once we put him in the roster no I dont agree. You dont draft a guy you think is a 3 year project in the top 10. They felt he was the real deal when they made that pick. You dont sit you franchise QB when he is the better option on the field. As stated he did really beat out Clemens because Clemens had a really bad camp that year.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Brady and Brees also did not start from day 1. Between those two and Rodgers, you've got 3 of the best 4 QB's in the league, future Hall of Fame players. The impatience of the fans here, that Geno MUST start from day 1, is short-sighted IMO. If Geno isn't ready, no biggie, let him watch and learn and we'll get him some weapons next offseason.
    Brady and Rodgers were also stuck behind guys like Brett Favre and Drew Bledsoe. Clearly Sanchez isn't anywhere close to their level.

    And as for the OP, Geno not being a high draft pick with a $50+ million dollar contract is a reason why you should play him early.

    We have next to nothing invested in Geno. So unless Sanchez is CLEARLY better than him throughout the rest of TC and the pre-season, then you throw Geno out there for 16 games and evaluate whether we need to draft another QB next year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us