Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: New Story: Cromartie looks comfortable in leadership role

All Jets 24/7
    Post Thanks / Like

Post New Story: Cromartie looks comfortable in leadership role

If God created a cornerback, if scientists dreamt one up in a petri dish, or gamers coded one onto a screen, they'd end up with someone resembling Antonio Cromartie, not ex-Jet Darrelle Revis.

His speed. His physicality. His 6 foot 2 inch frame.

Those are the characteristics that tempted the San Diego Chargers to draft Cromartie in the first round. It was his attitude, however, that ultimately got him shipped to the Jets.

As recently as last season, Cromartie was a training camp problem child, declaring himself the Jets second-best receiver, picking fights in practice and ducking the media.

Lest we also forget his...

More...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is perhaps the most unexpected outcome of that trade. We figured we were getting a guy who had worlds of physical talent, but also a reputation for being soft, and making mental mistakes (and lots of babies). While he still makes the occasional mistake, he seems to have cut down on his PI calls, gets burned less, and tackles. He also cleaned up his off-the-field act as far as we know and seems focused on football.

He might not be the #1 CB in the league but he certainly deserved to be in the argument last year. I'd be very happy if 2013 Cromartie plays just like 2012 Cromartie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Thereís rarely a moment now when Cromartie isnít in the ear of one of his Jets teammates, whether it be Milliner, former first round pick Kyle Wilson, or anyone else, coaching them, leading them.

"...fielding questions about the state of the defense, Millinerís development, and even the ongoing quarterback controversy. The change is evident. He acts like a leader, he talks like a leader.

ď 'Every day is a workday. When we touch the field we have to treat every situation like itís a game situation. Thatís what I try to preach to all the guys,' he said, rattling off quote upon quote as evidence that maybe, just maybe, heís finally putting it all together."

The Jets were very fortunate they didn't succeed in signing FA Asomugha in 2011. Cro waited patiently...for the Jets to turn back to him...and they made a deal. Obviously Cro really wanted to stay a Jet...and play in Rex Ryan's defense.

It showed the most...in how he took it upon himself to raise his game to a Pro Bowl level, when Revis went down. And how he has taken it upon himself to fill a void...and become one of the most important leaders of this team. It doesn't happen often enough...at least not for me...to see a highly gifted underachieving athlete like Cro was...to suddenly morph into a kind of Island version of himself on the field. And then just as quickly...to see that player's heart...emerge...bleeding Jets Green...as a true team leader off the field as well.

This kind of stuff is a big reason why I love this game of football so much.

Glad you're a Jet Cro.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    "Thereís rarely a moment now when Cromartie isnít in the ear of one of his Jets teammates, whether it be Milliner, former first round pick Kyle Wilson, or anyone else, coaching them, leading them.

"...fielding questions about the state of the defense, Millinerís development, and even the ongoing quarterback controversy. The change is evident. He acts like a leader, he talks like a leader.

ď 'Every day is a workday. When we touch the field we have to treat every situation like itís a game situation. Thatís what I try to preach to all the guys,' he said, rattling off quote upon quote as evidence that maybe, just maybe, heís finally putting it all together."

The Jets were very fortunate they didn't succeed in signing FA Asomugha in 2011. Cro waited patiently...for the Jets to turn back to him...and they made a deal. Obviously Cro really wanted to stay a Jet...and play in Rex Ryan's defense.

It showed the most...in how he took it upon himself to raise his game to a Pro Bowl level, when Revis went down. And how he has taken it upon himself to fill a void...and become one of the most important leaders of this team. It doesn't happen often enough...at least not for me...to see a highly gifted underachieving athlete like Cro was...to suddenly morph into a kind of Island version of himself on the field. And then just as quickly...to see that player's heart...emerge...bleeding Jets Green...as a true team leader off the field as well.

This kind of stuff is a big reason why I love this game of football so much.

Glad you're a Jet Cro.
    Hell Yeah baby!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the transformation with Cro

Totally agree about what a pleasant unexpected surprise his 2012 season was & a repeat of that
    I would love to see ... Happy for him to take on the leadership role as Milliner comes in as well ... Teach the rook Cro ... Teach him well !!!

All the media coverage about Milliner replacing Revis is bull$h*t

Those of us here know it is Cro replacing the island & the kid just need to be a #2 cb

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    good article and good interview.

unlike the rest of the media that just wants to regurgitate Geno/Sanchez Sanchez/Geno every two minutes.