Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 293

Thread: Breaking Bad

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    You should because I think you were off. My wife and I both looked at each other and said "hes giving her an out"
    Yep.

    He had to do something because he knows Marie and her ginormous mouth and he doesn't want to kill her.

  2. #162
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    You should because I think you were off. My wife and I both looked at each other and said "hes giving her an out"
    That was most people's take. Is Walt out of control and reckless this season-yes he is.

    But the one thing he has always been very calculated about is his family.

    The episode starts with Walt lying on phone to his wife, and the episode ends with Walt lying on the phone to his wife. Both were done to protect his family.

  3. #163
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,946
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    You should because I think you were off. My wife and I both looked at each other and said "hes giving her an out"

    +1. To me the call was definitely staged for Skyler's benefit. What's more, I think she got it... there is a point in the call where she suddenly gets calm and says "Yes you're right...I understand."

    Idea on why he retrieves the ricin...what if he finds out Jesse has been forced into slavery and (spitefully) offers him the ricin as a way out?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 09-17-2013 at 06:07 PM.

  4. #164
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,752
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    +1. To me the call was definitely staged for Skyler's benefit. What's more, I think she got it... there is a point in the call where she suddenly gets calm and says "Yes you're right...I understand."

    Idea on why he retrieves the ricin...what if he finds out Jesse has been forced into slavery and (spitefully) offers him the ricin as a way out?
    I think he wanted to both punish Jesse and keep him close. Not sure why he loves Jesse so much, but he can't quit him. He knows the skinheads will keep him pinned down. jmo

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Lets not get nuts now.

    While a very very good show, most of BB's appeal to me lies in its epic plot twists, and overall is too reliant on sheer coincidence to make things work. The replay value therefore is very marginal in comparison to truly awesome works such as The Sopranos and The Wire.
    uh yeah.. you're nuts.

    Sopranos and the Wire, while good shows, don't hold a candle to Breaking Bad. I was late to the party but last winter spent 2 weeks blasting through 5 seasons on Netflix. I averaged 3 episodes a day but sometimes watched up to 6. I couldn't stop watching.

    The only episode I can remember lacking a little was The Fly (which I hear is universally considered the worst). Even in that episode they advanced the story and had some "oh crap" moments where it seemed like Walt was about to slip about Jane.

    The Sopranos was pretty good but better than Breaking Bad? The hell you say.

    Shame on you.

  6. #166
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,289
    Two more shows to go and everyone is still guessing the end.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    uh yeah.. you're nuts.

    Sopranos and the Wire, while good shows, don't hold a candle to Breaking Bad. I was late to the party but last winter spent 2 weeks blasting through 5 seasons on Netflix. I averaged 3 episodes a day but sometimes watched up to 6. I couldn't stop watching.

    The only episode I can remember lacking a little was The Fly (which I hear is universally considered the worst). Even in that episode they advanced the story and had some "oh crap" moments where it seemed like Walt was about to slip about Jane.

    The Sopranos was pretty good but better than Breaking Bad? The hell you say.

    Shame on you.
    +1

    Breaking Bad is far superior than most.

    I love the Walking Dead, but to me it's cheesy and the plot twists are not fluid - rather forced.

  8. #168
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    3,481
    Maybe he goes in, saves Jessie from the skinheads, and offers him a smoke as a victory.

    Too cheesey for this show

  9. #169
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    whoa nellie



    I think it's fair to believe Walt grabbed Holly for her value in Walt's getting away "right" or "clean". He had the presence of mind to make that "last call" with every agency of merit listening in as it was an Amber Alert. Then he was cool enough to stalk a firehouse to create space for his getaway. Breathtaking.


    BTW, Walt comes back immediately; the show takes place as he turns 51...now he's 52, according to The Bacon.

    AND ANOTHER THING: Since the only motif left is avenging Hank's death...the writers take the Easy Road in Walt's now-possible vindication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Why was he crying when he made the call then?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    You should because I think you were off. My wife and I both looked at each other and said "hes giving her an out"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Yep.

    He had to do something because he knows Marie and her ginormous mouth and he doesn't want to kill her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    That was most people's take. Is Walt out of control and reckless this season-yes he is.

    But the one thing he has always been very calculated about is his family.

    The episode starts with Walt lying on phone to his wife, and the episode ends with Walt lying on the phone to his wife. Both were done to protect his family.
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    +1. To me the call was definitely staged for Skyler's benefit. What's more, I think she got it... there is a point in the call where she suddenly gets calm and says "Yes you're right...I understand."
    Yeah, I watched it again, and while I see where many of you think that Walt made "the call" to try and exonerate Skylar, I'm still not buying it. Now that the DEA knows Walt is Heisenberg, there is not a snowball's chance in New Mexico that the wife is avoiding jail time because her sister vouches for her. Sky was in waaay too deep to get saved by whatever was said on that phone call.

    As for swiping Holly, not a chance that was thought out. He grabbed the baby out of pure emotion. Looking at his wife and son on the floor, seeing what he believed as betrayal (from his POV), grabbed the only salvageable part of his family, Holly. Walt's denial is so deep and profound, he is completely blinded to reality and sound decision making.

    I think this was juxtaposed nicely by Vince Gilligan is the "re-created" flashback where Walt and Jesse were cooking in the trailer and Walt lies to Skylar for the first time. He was analyzing what he was going to say and rehearsing it over and over before making the call. Walt doesn't do that anymore. As I said, he only reacts now. Not much thinking going on.

  10. #170
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    uh yeah.. you're nuts.

    Sopranos and the Wire, while good shows, don't hold a candle to Breaking Bad. I was late to the party but last winter spent 2 weeks blasting through 5 seasons on Netflix. I averaged 3 episodes a day but sometimes watched up to 6. I couldn't stop watching.

    The only episode I can remember lacking a little was The Fly (which I hear is universally considered the worst). Even in that episode they advanced the story and had some "oh crap" moments where it seemed like Walt was about to slip about Jane.

    The Sopranos was pretty good but better than Breaking Bad? The hell you say.

    Shame on you.
    Breaking Bad is pulp. Amazing pulp, but pulp nonetheless. It doesn't have the depth and complexity of the Sopranos, the Wire or Mad Men. It's in the pantheon, but it is not superior in my opinion.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Breaking Bad is pulp. Amazing pulp, but pulp nonetheless. It doesn't have the depth and complexity of the Sopranos, the Wire or Mad Men. It's in the pantheon, but it is not superior in my opinion.
    It's all subjective but I don't think it's really that close. There have only been a couple shows that have kept me thinking about them long after the episodes have ended. I think you and Ruby may be in the minority as BB seems to be getting this "best show ever" classification all over the place.

    And I think it's pretty obvious that Walt was putting on a show for the cops in that call to Skylar. If he wasn't thinking as you say he wouldn't have had a reason to break down when he hung up. I've read a few reviews of the episode and some threads from a BB message board and it's universally accepted that the call was a put on. A sadistic put on... but a put on.

  12. #172
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    uh yeah.. you're nuts.

    Sopranos and the Wire, while good shows, don't hold a candle to Breaking Bad. I was late to the party but last winter spent 2 weeks blasting through 5 seasons on Netflix. I averaged 3 episodes a day but sometimes watched up to 6. I couldn't stop watching.

    The only episode I can remember lacking a little was The Fly (which I hear is universally considered the worst). Even in that episode they advanced the story and had some "oh crap" moments where it seemed like Walt was about to slip about Jane.

    The Sopranos was pretty good but better than Breaking Bad? The hell you say.

    Shame on you.
    Sorry dude. I love love love Breaking Bad, but its not even close to the Sopranos. I can watch the Sopranos over and over again. Once you know all the twists in Breaking Bad, it isn't nearly as entertaining.

    For cable tv BB is the best ever. It doesn't come close to the Sopranos though.

  13. #173
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Breaking Bad is pulp. Amazing pulp, but pulp nonetheless. It doesn't have the depth and complexity of the Sopranos, the Wire or Mad Men. It's in the pantheon, but it is not superior in my opinion.
    This.

  14. #174
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    It's all subjective but I don't think it's really that close. There have only been a couple shows that have kept me thinking about them long after the episodes have ended. I think you and Ruby may be in the minority as BB seems to be getting this "best show ever" classification all over the place.

    And I think it's pretty obvious that Walt was putting on a show for the cops in that call to Skylar. If he wasn't thinking as you say he wouldn't have had a reason to break down when he hung up. I've read a few reviews of the episode and some threads from a BB message board and it's universally accepted that the call was a put on. A sadistic put on... but a put on.
    With all due respect Pac, you are out of your element.

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    With all due respect Pac, you are out of your element.
    haha... I don't even know what this means. (but it was funny).

    You and Woody are professional critics?

  16. #176
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    haha... I don't even know what this means. (but it was funny).

    You and Woody are professional critics?
    Not a Big Lebowski fan?

    No not at all, of course this is all just my opinion. Although I would be hard press to believe that Breaking Bad is considered universally better than The Sopranos or The Wire.

  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not a Big Lebowski fan?

    No not at all, of course this is all just my opinion. Although I would be hard press to believe that Breaking Bad is considered universally better than The Sopranos or The Wire.
    ahh.. only saw it once a couple years ago. for a minute I thought you got a really big head while I was gone.

    Yeah it's all a matter of personal preference but it really is gaining momentum as far as being considered the best of all time. You may not know this but I happen to be sort of an expert on the topic as I subscribe to Entertainment magazine.

    Believe me when I tell you that dozens of critics and fans alike are hailing BB as in fact the greatest show of all time.

    I'm not saying Sopranos or the Wire are bad at all.. they're great! Just not BB great.
    Last edited by Pac2566; 09-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.

  18. #178
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    It's all subjective but I don't think it's really that close. There have only been a couple shows that have kept me thinking about them long after the episodes have ended. I think you and Ruby may be in the minority as BB seems to be getting this "best show ever" classification all over the place.

    And I think it's pretty obvious that Walt was putting on a show for the cops in that call to Skylar. If he wasn't thinking as you say he wouldn't have had a reason to break down when he hung up. I've read a few reviews of the episode and some threads from a BB message board and it's universally accepted that the call was a put on. A sadistic put on... but a put on.
    It's the Best Show Ever until Mad Men comes back, and you'll be reading those headlines about that show. Yes, subjective, but I think Breaking Bad will not stand the test of time like those other shows will. BB's (relative) weakness is that it is driven by one fully developed character (albeit brilliantly acted) who is surrounded by completely under developed characters and some downright placeholders. You know Walt (better than he knows himself). You know Jesse (I guess). You knew Hank (post season 1). That's basically it. The rest of the universe are set up to advance plot. Compare that to The Wire, Mad Men and The Sopranos and their is no comparison.

    As for what the consensus is about that call, consensus doesn't equal accuracy. I'm not saying I know what he was doing there, all I'm saying is that people are giving him way too much credit, assuming things that may not be there.

    I guess the thing that troubles me the most about "the call" as part of a plan to exonerate Skylar is that - if that is in fact what happens - I will be horribly disappointed by the show's writers. It is completely implausible that it could possibly work in reality. Skylar's only recourse is to go in to witness protection (assuming she got a plea deal)and fully testify against Walt to escape legal penalty. But he would have to be arrested to have that happen. We know he is on the lamb, so I really am at a loss to understand what "the call" could possibly accomplish at this point. Walt is on the run. Skylar has to be taken into custody. Nothing else would make sense.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 09-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.

  19. #179
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    It's the Best Show Ever until Mad Men comes back, and you'll be reading those headlines about that show. Yes, subjective, but I think Breaking Bad will not stand the test of time like those other shows will. BB's (relative) weakness is that it is driven by one fully developed character (albeit brilliantly acted) who is surrounded by completely under developed characters and some downright placeholders. You know Walt (better than he knows himself). You know Jesse (I guess). You knew Hank (post season 1). That's basically it. The rest of the universe are set up to advance plot. Compare that to The Wire, Mad Men and The Sopranos and their is no comparison.

    As for what the consensus is about that call, consensus doesn't equal accuracy. I'm not saying I know what he was doing there, all I'm saying is that people are giving him way too much credit, assuming things that may not be there.

    I guess the thing that troubles me the most about "the call" as part of a plan to exonerate Skylar is that - if that is in fact what happens - I will be horribly disappointed by the show's writers. It is completely implausible that it could possibly work in reality. Skylar's only recourse is to go in to witness protection (assuming she got a plea deal)and fully testify against Walt to escape legal penalty. But he would have to be arrested to have that happen. We know he is on the lamb, so I really am at a loss to understand what "the call" could possibly accomplish at this point. Walt is on the run. Skylar has to be taken into custody. Nothing else would make sense.
    Oh, and the Sopranos and the Wire were completely realistic?

    You are thinking about this too hard.

  20. #180
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    With all due respect Pac, you are out of your element.
    I think you could've left "Donnie" in there.



    <obligatory> "Geeeve uss the Mmmmunneee, LLLebowwski! Eees not FAIR!

    "NOT FAIR? WHO ARE THE ****ING NIHILISTS NOW???"


    lol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us