Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VEGAS $20 dollar sandwich trick Update......

VEGAS $20 dollar sandwich trick Update......

Well a while back I had a vegas post asking if there were inexpensive places/stores to eat right on the strip. The answer is YES plenty of them

Also, heres what happened with my check in:

I got to Caesars very early (11am). I handed him my id, credit card and 20 bucks in the middle. I asked if there were any comped upgrades available. He took the 20 and slipped it in his pocket like a pro. He was very nice and said that he will try to find a great room and even let me get it early if its ready. I THINK he mentioned something about an early check in fee which he was going to waive.

Anyway I didnt get an upgrade of a room. I paid for a palace tower room and got a palace tower room BUT he put me up real high with a great view and easy access to the pool AND the 30 dollar early check in fee was never on my bill. Overall, a win.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

maybe a more expensive sandwich would have got the upgraded room

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    maybe a more expensive sandwich would have got the upgraded room
    That's what I was wondering. Maybe Ulysses S. Grant instead of Andrew Jackson?

All Pro
    So basically he stole your $20....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    So basically he stole your $20....
    Same thing happened at Aria. Tried the $20 sandwich, the woman at the counter pocketed it and offered the same room we booked at a "higher" floor -- the 14th. She then looked at us like she wanted more money for a better room.

Hall Of Fame
    $20? Maybe in 1950.

Jets Insider VIP
    I just got back from Vegas yesterday after a weekend with the fellas for a fantasy football draft. Stayed at Hard Rock for the first time. It was decent, lots of scenery at the pool where we had a cabana. HR is off the Strip which I'm not really used to being but it was fun and has two interesting places to eat, the Pink Taco (Mexican food) and Culinary Dropout which had awesome sandwiches (for less than $20) . That's what this thread is about, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Same thing happened at Aria. Tried the $20 sandwich, the woman at the counter pocketed it and offered the same room we booked at a "higher" floor -- the 14th. She then looked at us like she wanted more money for a better room.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    $20? Maybe in 1950.
    Sounds like the going rate is that $20 gets you a preferred room in the same class of room you booked and perhaps $50 and above gets you above and beyond. You're in Vegas - its certainly worth the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I just got back from Vegas yesterday after a weekend with the fellas for a fantasy football draft. Stayed at Hard Rock for the first time. It was decent, lots of scenery at the pool where we had a cabana. HR is off the Strip which I'm not really used to being but it was fun and has two interesting places to eat, the Pink Taco (Mexican food) and Culinary Dropout which had awesome sandwiches (for less than $20) . That's what this thread is about, right?
    Were you the oldest person there by 10 years?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    also where did you hold the actual draft? We planned to our draft in AC one year and then Hurricane Irene hit and the Borgata shut its doors for the first time ever.

Bewildered Beast
    If you hand someone a $20 and they are not handing you a coat or car keys you are only embarrassing the rest of us.

shazamm!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    If you hand someone a $20 and they are not handing you a coat or car keys you are only embarrassing the rest of us.

shazamm!
    I don't tip. I over-tip. That's my motto.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Were you the oldest person there by 10 years?

also where did you hold the actual draft? We planned to our draft in AC one year and then Hurricane Irene hit and the Borgata shut its doors for the first time ever.
    We had it at a restaurant / bar that had an upstairs conference room equipped with a huge conference room table, free WiFi, etc. It was about a 10 minute cab ride off the Vegas Strip but worked out great. We did the draft on Sat morning at 11AM and, surprisingly, all 10 of our guys made it...many carrying hangovers. It didn't cost anything to reserve the room, we just had to commit to spending a minimum amount (about $300 I think) in drinks/food which was pretty easy for 10 people.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-12-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    IRONY IS: We both po'! Welll...I am poor.

Service sucks these days; unless you shake-ah-de-cabbage right in their eyes.

i never get this...people go to vegas for 3-4 days and slip the guy 20 bucks expecting a suit or something...whats that 5 bucks a day? ive done the 50-100 dollar trick about 10 times, 7 times i ended up with a suite at the wynn, and the bellagio, the other times i ended up with a top floor and some type of a comp (like club tickets or something).

Sorry. That's just amateurish stuff. The trick is have the $20 is sortta visible to the clerk and ask them if you can get a upgrade on your room. You could have it in your hands when you handover the CC and ID so the clerk sees it. So you have the reward in your hand and you have made it clear what you want for that reward.

Most guys and girls like the 20 in their pockets. So they will do their best.

But if they have already pocketed their tip and know not much else is coming their way they do not have much motivation to give you the best possible result they could!

The 50 dollar and 100 dollar tip may get you better results compared to 20 but it does not always work. I have seen guy tip the clerk a 50 and walking away disappointed. So always have the tip in your hand till you are satisfied that the person has tried their best to earn the tip!

And it always works!

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanInDenver View Post
    Sorry. That's just amateurish stuff. The trick is have the $20 is sortta visible to the clerk and ask them if you can get a upgrade on your room. You could have it in your hands when you handover the CC and ID so the clerk sees it. So you have the reward in your hand and you have made it clear what you want for that reward.

Most guys and girls like the 20 in their pockets. So they will do their best.

But if they have already pocketed their tip and know not much else is coming their way they do not have much motivation to give you the best possible result they could!

The 50 dollar and 100 dollar tip may get you better results compared to 20 but it does not always work. I have seen guy tip the clerk a 50 and walking away disappointed. So always have the tip in your hand till you are satisfied that the person has tried their best to earn the tip!

And it always works!
    I love that you are an original JI charter member and your first post a decade later is about Vegas sandwich tipping upgrades!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I love that you are an original JI charter member and your first post a decade later is about Vegas sandwich tipping upgrades!
    It really is amazing what draws someone out of the shadows.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i never get this...people go to vegas for 3-4 days and slip the guy 20 bucks expecting a suit or something...whats that 5 bucks a day? ive done the 50-100 dollar trick about 10 times, 7 times i ended up with a suite at the wynn, and the bellagio, the other times i ended up with a top floor and some type of a comp (like club tickets or something).
    +1, I just ask, no matter what I do, please tell your goons not to shoot me.

I found out in 1987 that it was a 30 dollar trick. Unfortunately, I had dropped a tenner. I still lean to the left when I sit.

-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Pre-tipping" is always a good idea too. Want good service at a restaurant? Tip your server before the meal.

As to the expectation of $20 getting you a room upgrade, unless you are fishing for a $100 upgrade, the $20 is rather insulting. If you expect some poor SOB to put his job on the line by giving you a free upgrade worth hundreds of dollars to you and his employer for a measly twenty bucks... shame on you.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +1, I just ask, no matter what I do, please tell your goons not to shoot me.

I found out in 1987 that it was a 30 dollar trick. Unfortunately, I had dropped a tenner. I still lean to the left when I sit.

-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL