Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Jets Insider VIP

BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-driv...214456020.html

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ
    Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

“In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.
    Discuss.

Hall Of Fame
    A lot of them are pissed b.c they overpaid for a POS. Especially those in entry-level BMWs.

Veteran
    Now . . . who on JI owns a BMW? Hmmmm

Jets Insider VIP
    When there are no BMWs available, I usually piss on toilet paper rolls.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    When there are no BMWs available, I usually piss on toilet paper rolls.
    I aDmire your methods; and am intrigued to know more. However, Beemers don't rouble me the way PRIUS drivers "behave".

There is some entitlement happening....it's murky after that.

It's in Northern California, you will see it soon enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Like everything else the market became saturated, anyone could drive a BMW starting 15 years ago. The 80's and prior is when they were stock.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I have 2.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Ultimate Driving Machine.

For pissing off the 99%

Signed, SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Can we give these guys a little bit of a break?

Seriously, shoe on the other foot: if you had a tiny, tiny penis, wouldn't you be a cranky bastard, too?

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually they were a great car, then everyone had to compete with the Japs and their plastic the Autobahn was it's only salvation.

They needed a study?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Actually they were a great car, then everyone had to compete with the Japs and their plastic the Autobahn was it's only salvation.
    They were great until they began to take themselves too seriously. First the design went down the toilet in the Bangle era. Then you saw the intro of I-Drive...the single worst nav/entertainment/communications set up on the market. In fact, after about 8 years, they still have that F'd up.
    Then you had other silly things like a gear shift, where you push up to go in reverse...which is counter intuitive to anyone that has ever driven a car. Or a door lock button in the middle of the dashboard.
    The engines are still sweet, putting down a ton of torque (although there have been some reliability issues over the past few years). The handling is good (although not on par with what used to be class leading handling 10 years ago).

Interesting thing...it does look like some of these issues have caught up with them. For the first time in recent memory, Bimmer was (heavily) discounting new cars left and right this summer, trying to move them before the new model year.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    They needed a study?
    POTW goes to the man that Chance Winces Down On.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    They were great until they began to take themselves too seriously. First the design went down the toilet in the Bangle era. Then you saw the intro of I-Drive...the single worst nav/entertainment/communications set up on the market. In fact, after about 8 years, they still have that F'd up.
    Then you had other silly things like a gear shift, where you push up to go in reverse...which is counter intuitive to anyone that has ever driven a car. Or a door lock button in the middle of the dashboard.
    The engines are still sweet, putting down a ton of torque (although there have been some reliability issues over the past few years). The handling is good (although not on par with what used to be class leading handling 10 years ago).

Interesting thing...it does look like some of these issues have caught up with them. For the first time in recent memory, Bimmer was (heavily) discounting new cars left and right this summer, trying to move them before the new model year.
    The way the instrument cluster was designed, and the center dash was cocked to the driver, and how the hood opened that's what made them different etc.. Might as well be a Chevy, nothing wrong with a Chevy if that or any other make is your preference.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    POTW goes to the man that Chance Winces Down On.

Bewildered Beast
    LOL

I am at the point where I'd rather stare at that handsome feller that look at another twitter feed. Awesome thanks

"Look at him Smithers...that confused stare, that alert sense that something is not kipper...what does he know about me...I must kill him"
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 08-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Can we give these guys a little bit of a break?

Seriously, shoe on the other foot: if you had a tiny, tiny penis, wouldn't you be a cranky bastard, too?
    Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The way the instrument cluster was designed, and the center dash was cocked to the driver, and how the hood opened that's what made them different etc.. Might as well be a Chevy, nothing wrong with a Chevy if that or any other make is your preference.
    I agree with you. All that you describe was unique...and nice when the car was unique and nice. Over time, they have lost their way with some questionable elements.
    Chevy? Really? Ha, ha....

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, Jaguar, Lexus.

In this area, anyone driving any of these vehicles, especially (but not limited to):

Men driving SULuxMinivans
    Women driving sportscars
    Anyone driving an SUV

Are by the very definition of the word, *******s, who obay none of the typical traffic laws, and believe they own not only the road, but your car as well, with full rights to run you off the road.

Twats the lot of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't drive a BMW, I ride one!

West Coast is correct bout the prius (holier than thou)