Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard to justify keeping Obomanu over Spadola in the top 5...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to justify keeping Obomanu over Spadola in the top 5...

especially since Santonio is already running sprints and will be back possibly even by the first game, Spadola is young and fast with big upside and with the way Braylon has looked so far, I don't just don't know if we can afford to keep Obo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting to think more and more neither Edwards or Obo make this team. Holmes is looking farther along then most of us thought he'd be. Spadola has to make the cut IMO. He has looked like he has a future. You just dont put a guy like him on waivers and pray no one claims him just to keep a JAG vet. Obo and Gates can do STs and I'd like to see if Obo returns any punts or kicks in game 3. With McKnight and Goodson both questionable I just dont see them leaning on their best WR to do return duties. Putting Kerley out there is just asking for trouble IMO. Gates looked good returning kicks and the week before he was pretty good on O. Really feel he is a lock to make final cut but you never really know what the coaches are seeing that we arent. I also find it odd that Rodges has fielded PRs in both games. I have to think if he is returning punts next week he is back in the mix as well. We have a lot of good options at WR it just seems like a hard choice with that last spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you kidding? Braylon absolutely makes this team, what about his performance in camp and these two preseason games leads you to believe he'll get cut?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been impressed with Spadola and I definitely think Rogers could be a a valuable asset on special teams- that means one of the journeyman receivers will likely be spared.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Are you kidding? Braylon absolutely makes this team, what about his performance in camp and these two preseason games leads you to believe he'll get cut?
    Absolutely. Braylon has been productive, he's a proven receiver and still keeps D's honest. The CS have been using him judiciously - he's a proven quantity, and every team needs a few of those guys

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I am starting to think more and more neither Edwards or Obo make this team.
    I'd be suprised if Edwards didn't make the team. Being that he's probably the best WR on the filed for us at current.

Hill is an obvious, as is Kerley to play slot. Holmes if he's ready.

So thats 3 sure-things, Holmes, Hill and Kerley. who is Idzik keeping ahead of Edwards then? Spadola? No. Obama? Lol, no. Gates? Not as a WR.

Given that most teams keep 5 WR's or more, we'd have to keep BOTH Spadola and Obama/Gates for Edwards to be at-risk of being cut.

I just don't see that as realistic or productive. Obama especially is a JAG frankly.

No, I maintain it'll be:

Holmes (lol #1)
    Hill (#2)
    Edwards (#3)
    Kerley (Slot #1)
    Gates (Slot #2)
    And if we keep 6, Spadola for development.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I'd be suprised if Edwards didn't make the team. Being that he's probably the best WR on the filed for us at current.

So thats 3 sure-things, Holmes, Hill and Kerley. who is Idzik keeping ahead of Edwards then? Spadola? No. Obama? Lol, no. Gates? Not as a WR.

Given that most teams keep 5 WR's or more, we'd have to keep BOTH Spadola and Obama/Gates for Edwards to be at-risk of being cut.

I just don't see that as realistic or productive. Obama especially is a JAG frankly.

No, I maintain it'll be:

Holmes (lol #1)
    Hill (#2)
    Edwards (#3)
    Kerley (Slot #1)
    Gates (Slot #2)
    Yes, I agree completely.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hadn't done much research on Spadola until now. Turns out he had his own little racial slur Twitter incident in 2011. I am surprised Semeni and Mansh!t didn't try to make a big deal out of this when Cooper had his drama.

Spadola has a spot for as long as Tone is out. He is a lock for the PS though. I do not see a situation where he gets released. Could you imagine if NE snagged him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Could you imagine if NE snagged him?
    Sounds like a bogus reason to keep him, but I remember what happened Danny Woodhead and Dan DePalma.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Could you imagine if NE snagged him?
    I usually LOATHE this type of reasoning for keeping/cutting players.

But in this case, Spadola is exactly the type of talent Bellichek would snag, and make something out of. This isn't Danny Woodhead, Spadola has decently NFL-worthy size and speed for a Reciever.

I keep Spadola becasue as the #5/#6 WR, why not (cut him for Obama, lol no). And because he looks like a quality development guy who could be a decently productive #2/#3 in a year or two.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

But in this case, Spadola is exactly the type of talent Bellichek would snag, and make something out of. This isn't Danny Woodhead, Spadola has decently NFL-worthy size and speed for a Reciever.

I keep Spadola becasue as the #5/#6 WR, why not (cut him for Obama, lol no). And because he looks like a quality development guy who could be a decently productive #2/#3 in a year or two.
    I usually feel the same way when people worry about losing player to NE but like you said Spadola is the type of guy they would love and unlike Woodhead he has NFL physical attributes. At just 22 years old he is definitely worthy of keeping over Obama and with a little seasoning I think he could be a key contributor.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

No, I maintain it'll be:

Holmes (lol #1)
    Hill (#2)
    Edwards (#3)
    Kerley (Slot #1)
    Gates (Slot #2)
    solid work right here

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Braylon looked slow last night. He isn't what he was in 2010, he just doesn't have that speed anymore. But hes still a big guy and shows he has good hands.

I think the Jets carry 6 WRs to start the year. Even if Holmes does start the year, this guy is going to probably be on a pitch count to start the year.

1-Santonio Holmes
    2-Stephen Hill
    3-Jeremy Kerley
    4-Clyde Gates
    5-Braylon Edwards
    6-Ryan Spadola

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 3m
    Ben Obomanu played 29 snaps last night. Most of any WR. Braylon ended up with 18 snaps, 5th among WRs. #nyj

Anyone else shocked that Obomanu was on the field that much. He seemed invisible out there. I don't think he even had one catch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

If BB snagged Tebow taking Spadola is a no brainer..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Consider who posted that comment you replied to, Slikmo....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slik you know that EDWARDS has many detractors for whatever reason here. Let them all yap! BE makes the team. He is a leader!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 3m
    Ben Obomanu played 29 snaps last night. Most of any WR. Braylon ended up with 18 snaps, 5th among WRs. #nyj

Anyone else shocked that Obomanu was on the field that much. He seemed invisible out there. I don't think he even had one catch.
    It would be interesting to see what percentage of those plays were run plays. If you notice one thing from MM so far, it is he shuffles around the WR group a lot from play to play. I think he is no brainer to make the 53 at this point. The lack of veteran WRs and his ability to play specials is why he will make the team. Spadola will also make the 53. Holmes will not be back before week 6.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what percentage of those plays were run plays. If you notice one thing from MM so far, it is he shuffles around the WR group a lot from play to play. I think he is no brainer to make the 53 at this point. The lack of veteran WRs and his ability to play specials is why he will make the team. Spadola will also make the 53. Holmes will not be back before week 6.
    Someone posted that he was catching Geno passes on the sidelines and running wind sprints. I'm not sure if it is true but if it is he may be back a lot sooner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Someone posted that he was catching Geno passes on the sidelines and running wind sprints. I'm not sure if it is true but if it is he may be back a lot sooner.
    The issue is that he is only running in straight line right now, hasnt made any "football" moves yet. If he isnt able to be back for the 3rd regular season game then the Jets are best served putting him on the regular season PUP list which requires he sits out the first 6 games. If he is on the PUP list he does not count toward the 53 man roster. It also protects them from any set backs he may have that could delay his return. It would also allow them to keep a kid like Spadola and have 6 WRs on the roster while Holmes rehabs.