Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77

Thread: Hard to justify keeping Obomanu over Spadola in the top 5...

  1. #41
    I'm a Braylon fan but he did look rather slow last night.

    Seems as if he hasn't done much but I hope he makes the team. He brings a toughness to this team, and is dependable if the ball gets near him.

    I don't like the fact that there are reports out there that he is dogging it. That is very concerning to me. This is his last chance and he should be giving it 100 percent every play

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    I'm a Braylon fan but he did look rather slow last night.

    Seems as if he hasn't done much but I hope he makes the team. He brings a toughness to this team, and is dependable if the ball gets near him.

    I don't like the fact that there are reports out there that he is dogging it. That is very concerning to me. This is his last chance and he should be giving it 100 percent every play
    Did you see those two great down the field catches he made with ease last night? One was a duck thrown at Braylon's feet and he scooped it up like a short stop, and another was thrown over his head with two defenders on him, and he kept his feet in bounds. This is the preseason, and a proven veteran like him is not going all out, and risk getting hurt, especially since he put all that work into coming back from his knee injury. Rex knows and likes what he has in Braylon, and I expect him to have a big year as one of our starting WR's. Hill and Gates have yet to show me anything, that would make me think they can produce like Braylon can, especially with the way Sanchez throws his passes. I can't see Rex cutting Braylon, and leaving us with what we had last year at WR. Kerley is the only other receiver we can count on.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    My 1st few comments on this thread where not a slight on BE at all it was the reality of our WR situation. You just assumed it was all about BE which it wasnt. He is no lock to make this team is all I said and that is truth. Can he make the team yes I have never said he couldnt but chances are he doesnt. You can fan boy him up all you want it isnt going to make him a better WR.
    But it didn't take long for your true anti-Edwards agenda to emerge.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    I'm a Braylon fan but he did look rather slow last night.

    Seems as if he hasn't done much but I hope he makes the team. He brings a toughness to this team, and is dependable if the ball gets near him.

    I don't like the fact that there are reports out there that he is dogging it. That is very concerning to me. This is his last chance and he should be giving it 100 percent every play
    Edwards has most definitely lost speed. But like I've said elsewhere, we have Hill and Gates to stretch the field. Edwards fits nicely in the underneath and sideline plays and, with his blocking ability, is like having another TE out there. He'll be an asset in the red zone as well.

    I would like to see these "reports" about him dogging it. I've only read that from some select posters here on JI>

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,731
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Did you see those two great down the field catches he made with ease last night? One was a duck thrown at Braylon's feet and he scooped it up like a short stop, and another was thrown over his head with two defenders on him, and he kept his feet in bounds. This is the preseason, and a proven veteran like him is not going all out, and risk getting hurt, especially since he put all that work into coming back from his knee injury. Rex knows and likes what he has in Braylon, and I expect him to have a big year as one of our starting WR's. Hill and Gates have yet to show me anything, that would make me think they can produce like Braylon can, especially with the way Sanchez throws his passes. I can't see Rex cutting Braylon, and leaving us with what we had last year at WR. Kerley is the only other receiver we can count on.
    I can't either, barring injury or a complete meltdown.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I can't either, barring injury or a complete meltdown.
    esp. if they name sanchez the starter. he's always had chemistry with him and his height is needed to snare balls off target.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Edwards has most definitely lost speed. But like I've said elsewhere, we have Hill and Gates to stretch the field. Edwards fits nicely in the underneath and sideline plays and, with his blocking ability, is like having another TE out there. He'll be an asset in the red zone as well.

    I would like to see these "reports" about him dogging it. I've only read that from some select posters here on JI>
    That did come from a camp tweet about MM getting on him for not finishing a play. But while the report is valid, it's one instance and not enough (IMO) to just invalidate what he's done on the field through the first two games.

    On THIS team, Edwards makes sense as a #4.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    But it didn't take long for your true anti-Edwards agenda to emerge.
    Only because people are assuming my post is all about him which it isnt. Look at the fact here our WR lineup is right now.

    1. Hill, Kerley, and Gates have been taking more 1st team reps then anyone else. Really feel it is a give all 3 make the roster.

    2. Holmes will get a spot when he gets back we have already written that check. Which as it looks right now may be as soon as week 1 if only at a limited role. That is 4 right there.

    3. Spadola looks to be a standout both on the field as a WR and in ST. We are thin at ST right now so that is a premium. I am not big on throwing Cro and Kerley on ST just cuz this year. Given what has been seen in this kid it is very unlikely if we put him on waivers he clears to make the PS. I just wouldnt cut a young guy with promise for an aging vet it isnt a smart move. He'd also be the only rook WR so it isnt lie you dont have vets on the team. That is the 5 you cant touch IMO

    3a Davis will make the PS. With the injury to Hazelton and cutting White we still had 12 WRs on the roster and add Vaughn and Campbell. Why? Because they are PS eligible, young, and fit the O we will be running. Are we are prepping for life without Spadola on the PS I think so.

    4. You cant keep 6 WRs on the roster all year it just isnt viable. Last year we had to cut good DL to add WRs on the fly. At some point your going to have to cut one because of an injury elsewhere. You only get so many spots and right now we may need an extra RB(or cut Goodson?) or OL (injuries) as well. You only have a finite amount of roster spots unless you want to start IRing people with sprained ankles. I have heard people say well go with 2 TEs to add anther WR. That is not going to happen in a league where everyone is running 2 TE sets right now. Not to mention Winslow or Cumby would be in on all blocking plays. To me that is a scary idea.

    5. Obomanu or Edwards - IF we keep either your not talking a starter your talking a temp replacement IMO. Im sorry neither will see major reps if they make the team. They will be a BUs as we have seen in preseason already. Edwards is more of anther TE at this point in his career. Both have good hands Edwards is more physical but Obomanu has a wider range of skills. Being 100% bias Id say you can toss a coin if you wanted to keep one. I really think one of them will have to WOW the coaching staff the next few weeks to make the team. I just dont see that happening ATM. Ill admit Edwards could be a #5 if you want anther red zone guy till Holmes gets back. I am just not big on repeating something that failed so badly the 1st go around I'd rather try something new is all. Obomanu was brought in by our GM for a reason he was thought of highly in Seattle.

    6. You never know when your GM or Coach will love someone on waivers. You claim a guy you have to give him a roster spot. This can be a 4th RB, that 6th WR, or even an 8th OL this year. With Peterman and Winters already hurt I wouldnt be shock if we went into week 1 with 8 OL. Chances are we add at least 2 people after final cut and those guys will be on the team week 1. People tend to forget the waiver wire but WR claims are pretty common as teams get rid of a lot of quality guys at WR because they can carry them all. We may be on the other end of this but if they truly arent happy at WR this is very much an option. I think we have used roster spots on waiver wire WRs like 6 years in a row now.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 08-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #49
    Isnt a guy like Steve Breaston better then what we have? He just got cut.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,952
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    Isnt a guy like Steve Breaston better then what we have? He just got cut.
    He's had like 5 knee surgeries. Pretty sure he's just about done.

  11. #51
    Yeah just read that. Oh well

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    That did come from a camp tweet about MM getting on him for not finishing a play. But while the report is valid, it's one instance and not enough (IMO) to just invalidate what he's done on the field through the first two games.

    On THIS team, Edwards makes sense as a #4.

    #4??

    You mean #3. You've got Hill, Kerley, and whom else?

    I see Braylon play more this season than Clyde Gates who will be the #4, IMO, despite him getting more reps.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Vin that is a cheap shot and you know it. I am being realistic. Did I take one shot at him? NO. I am going by what you are seeing on the field.
    Sorry but we are going by what YOU are seeing from your biased point of view. The facts we see on the playing field where fair evaluations are conducted differ greatly from yours!

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    #4??

    You mean #3. You've got Hill, Kerley, and whom else?

    I see Braylon play more this season than Clyde Gates who will be the #4, IMO, despite him getting more reps.
    I was factoring Holmes, since it's sounding like a Week 6 return for him is a stronger possibility than it was a few weeks ago.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Sorry but we are going by what YOU are seeing from your biased point of view. The facts we see on the playing field where fair evaluations are conducted differ greatly from yours!
    You must be watching old tapes or something then because I have seen nothing to tell me the coaching staff feels either of these guys are locks.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    You must be watching old tapes or something then because I have seen nothing to tell me the coaching staff feels either of these guys are locks.
    How is it that 99% of the fans here see things the same way except for you?

    It's just astounding, in an absurd kind of way....

    And anyway, if the Coaching Staff was "iffy" on Braylon, he wouldn't have been on a so-called "Pitch-count"(to prevent injury) to begin with. They know what he can bring to the team and he has done just that.

    And with Mark Buttchez possibly starting the season as the Jets QB, he's invaluable as someone who is able to catch some of those un-catchable DUCKS that Mark throws 24/7.
    Last edited by Vin; 08-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    How is it that 99% of the fans here see things the same way except for you?

    It's just astounding, in an absurd kind of way....

    And anyway, if the Coaching Staff was "iffy" on Braylon, he wouldn't have been on a so-called "Pitch-count" to begin with. They know what he can bring to the team and he has done just that.
    Dreamers is doing just that...dreaming.

    Braylon made two phenomenal catches last Saturday. NO ONE else on this team would have made that shoestring catch. Only BE.

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,279
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The issue is that he is only running in straight line right now, hasnt made any "football" moves yet. If he isnt able to be back for the 3rd regular season game then the Jets are best served putting him on the regular season PUP list which requires he sits out the first 6 games. If he is on the PUP list he does not count toward the 53 man roster. It also protects them from any set backs he may have that could delay his return. It would also allow them to keep a kid like Spadola and have 6 WRs on the roster while Holmes rehabs.
    Coaches know more than us. I agree PUP is a good but politics is a consideration. Thank god we have Idzik.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    How is it that 99% of the fans here see things the same way except for you?

    It's just astounding, in an absurd kind of way....

    And anyway, if the Coaching Staff was "iffy" on Braylon, he wouldn't have been on a so-called "Pitch-count"(to prevent injury) to begin with. They know what he can bring to the team and he has done just that.

    And with Mark Buttchez possibly starting the season as the Jets QB, he's invaluable as someone who is able to catch some of those un-catchable DUCKS that Mark throws 24/7.
    99%? now your the one who is dreaming. Im being realistic you cant even admit he is on the edge and a BU. Come on man

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Only because people are assuming my post is all about him which it isnt. Look at the fact here our WR lineup is right now.

    1. Hill, Kerley, and Gates have been taking more 1st team reps then anyone else. Really feel it is a give all 3 make the roster.

    2. Holmes will get a spot when he gets back we have already written that check. Which as it looks right now may be as soon as week 1 if only at a limited role. That is 4 right there.

    3. Spadola looks to be a standout both on the field as a WR and in ST. We are thin at ST right now so that is a premium. I am not big on throwing Cro and Kerley on ST just cuz this year. Given what has been seen in this kid it is very unlikely if we put him on waivers he clears to make the PS. I just wouldnt cut a young guy with promise for an aging vet it isnt a smart move. He'd also be the only rook WR so it isnt lie you dont have vets on the team. That is the 5 you cant touch IMO

    3a Davis will make the PS. With the injury to Hazelton and cutting White we still had 12 WRs on the roster and add Vaughn and Campbell. Why? Because they are PS eligible, young, and fit the O we will be running. Are we are prepping for life without Spadola on the PS I think so.

    4. You cant keep 6 WRs on the roster all year it just isnt viable. Last year we had to cut good DL to add WRs on the fly. At some point your going to have to cut one because of an injury elsewhere. You only get so many spots and right now we may need an extra RB(or cut Goodson?) or OL (injuries) as well. You only have a finite amount of roster spots unless you want to start IRing people with sprained ankles. I have heard people say well go with 2 TEs to add anther WR. That is not going to happen in a league where everyone is running 2 TE sets right now. Not to mention Winslow or Cumby would be in on all blocking plays. To me that is a scary idea.

    5. Obomanu or Edwards - IF we keep either your not talking a starter your talking a temp replacement IMO. Im sorry neither will see major reps if they make the team. They will be a BUs as we have seen in preseason already. Edwards is more of anther TE at this point in his career. Both have good hands Edwards is more physical but Obomanu has a wider range of skills. Being 100% bias Id say you can toss a coin if you wanted to keep one. I really think one of them will have to WOW the coaching staff the next few weeks to make the team. I just dont see that happening ATM. Ill admit Edwards could be a #5 if you want anther red zone guy till Holmes gets back. I am just not big on repeating something that failed so badly the 1st go around I'd rather try something new is all. Obomanu was brought in by our GM for a reason he was thought of highly in Seattle.

    6. You never know when your GM or Coach will love someone on waivers. You claim a guy you have to give him a roster spot. This can be a 4th RB, that 6th WR, or even an 8th OL this year. With Peterman and Winters already hurt I wouldnt be shock if we went into week 1 with 8 OL. Chances are we add at least 2 people after final cut and those guys will be on the team week 1. People tend to forget the waiver wire but WR claims are pretty common as teams get rid of a lot of quality guys at WR because they can carry them all. We may be on the other end of this but if they truly arent happy at WR this is very much an option. I think we have used roster spots on waiver wire WRs like 6 years in a row now.
    This is a new offense, new OC, that runs a pass heavy WCO offensive system, it's not a stretch the roster is reshaped to keep 6 WR's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us