Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith has Aaron Rodgers talent

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Really? We draft who many thought was the best QB in this year's draft, the season hasn't even started yet, and people are already "hoping" we fail so we can draft another top QB next year? Give me a break.

How about we just suck every year? Then we can look forward to drafting the best player at whatever position is lacking most. Hallelujah!
    We tried that in the mid-90s. Doesn't work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    these threads are so stupid

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on a sample size of 1 youtube video, I can say, unequivocally, that Geno Smith is the greatest football player of this or any generation.

And I'm a football scientist, so you can quote me on that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He's a project, drafted right about where Kellen Clemens was. Hopefully in time he develops into a much better QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot depends on how dedicated he is and willing to become great.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith definitely has talent to be great, but you can say that about a lot of players. Based on what he did in college, he definitely shows the potential to be a really nice QB, especially as the league is going to more open offenses rather than the constrained ones from the past.

Is he going to be the next Aaron Rogers? No one knows. Rogers sat for the first 3 years, totaling 36 completions before being handed the job. When the Packers decided to move on from Favre, it was a huge controversy, and how there was constant turmoil there because of it, especially added in with the fact that the team was owned by the public. You can't appraise comparisons so early in the game because Geno still hasn't completed his first pre-season yet. People always remember the scouting reports where some bust was compared to an all time great, but as much as that happens, there are plenty of good players that were compared to busts as well.

As the video shows, there are plenty of things to like about Geno and there are stuff that concern you. But, in college, Geno has shown some of the traits that Rogers has displayed in the NFL over the last few years. Using an open system with multiple WRs, very good arm, excellent ball placement, good anticipation, and good mobility. The difference between them will be how much of these abilities he loses when he adjusts to the NFL or if he can even improve on them. I don't think the OP is wrong in saying Geno has Aaron Rogers talent, it's just wrong to assume that means he's going to be the next Aaron Rogers. But coming out of school, at similar stages, I think the comparison holds a good amount of weight. Rogers obviously has excelled and been better than even his college days now, so it remains to be seen if Geno can match it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    these threads are so stupid
    That's the first thing you said that's intelligent.

Let me reply with my own words of wisdom. Fans aren't normal people. (BTW no offense intended).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He's a project, drafted right about where Kellen Clemens was. Hopefully in time he develops into a much better QB
    His touch and footwork looks a lot better than Kellen's reel did, but he also had superior receivers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This statement is true. However it is worth noting that GS fell to the second round (senior year underwhelmed some pundits) and many questioned whether KC was a reach in the 2nd (absence of senior year cast uncertainty). The only valid comparison in the long run will be play on the field. Nonetheless, Geno throws a crisper pass (KC was king of the wounded ducks) and shines much more often in his first camp than KC did. He also Sachez-es a few plays so the verdict is still pending.

The open issue right now is whether/when we start Geno. For me (as a fan), I would like to see a significant body of work from Geno in 2013. This should be used to evaluate whether we keep drafting at the QB spot or hang tight. Even a spotty season can be evaluated by a talented OC (we might actually have one of those now) with MUCH more accuracy than running with the 2nd team during practice.

A legit rebuild should have Geno starting at least 2/3 of the games this season so that Idzik can make wise choices next Spring.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He hasn't even played a regular game game yet, or taken a regular season hit, or had to play a post-season caliber defense, and we're crowning him the equal of one of the best quarterbacks in the league?
    lol Nice!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Do you actually know anything you are talking about?

"Played bad in big games"

WVA beat higher ranked Clemson in the 2011 orange bowl behind 407 yards passing and 6 TDs by Geno Smith

In the 3 2012 games vs ranked opponents WVA put up 48 points in a win vs Texas, 49 points in a 1 pt loss to Oklahoma (defense gave up 50), and 14 points in a loss to Kstate.

He really fell flat in those games?????
    When the talk started of him being the #1 overall pick, and expectations grew, he fell flat on his face his senior year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    For all his so called shortcomings,his college film shows 2 key things I like.Anticipation and down field accuracy.Those 2 things seperate qbs and that is what I see. He has all the tools to become a top 5 qb in the nfl and be an elite qb,and he is our future and not somebody in next years draft.

This is why Jets fans are amongst the worst in the NFL. So many like to bash their own players, even players with major talent that haven't played in an NFL game. And where exactly was Aaron Rodger his first two years in the league? Exactly, on the bench. I guess he would have been written off by this type of Jets fan as a bust before he had a chance to play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's time to start comparing Sanchez to Clemens not geno.. Where some1 is drafted does not matter.. Matt Barkley would have been a early 1st rounder if he came out last yr, he fell a ton.. Geno could have been picked #1 overall and wouldn't have been a shocker.. Sanchez benefited from the USC hype, which after failures like him and leinart, ect there is no longer that hype..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    When the talk started of him being the #1 overall pick, and expectations grew, he fell flat on his face his senior year.
    To the tune of 42TD's, 6INT's and 4200 yards...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Love it Blows Pick Sixchezz away!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rogers is a bum compared to Smith. A bum I tell ya.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko View Post
    Wow Love it Blows Pick Sixchezz away!
    Sanchez is the worst QB in the league. Everyone blows him away.

He does have the whole headband thing going on though.

Maybe

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    That's nothing. Between this thread and the last one I just read here, you guys now have the second coming of Aaron Rogers and Eli Manning as QB's. I'd go with Rogers, even though he only won one SB.
    Nah, go with Eli. He's got two rings, both against your cheating ass asterisk cheating muthafocking team, dickbag.

And yes, I'm a mod.

Dickbag.

GTFO.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been others who compared Geno to Rogers. It's not like saying there are similarities means we have to take the jump all the way to Geno being exactly like Rogers in terms of his Super Bowl win. Whenever a comparison is made like this there are those who base the comparison solely on the Star players full career as opposed to "TRAITS" they may share. It's so annoying really.

Geno has a lot of talent and a long way to go but he's shown some similar traits to the way Rogers plays. That's not the same as saying he will be exactly like Rogers. In fact Rogers success is not just due to his talent but a lot of other factors. We can't predict what the team will be like around Geno in the future, so there's no way to really compare the career Geno will have. The circumstances will be different. I think anyone who is so sure Geno is going to be nothing of note aren't standing on firm ground either. They don't have any real evidence to stand on. It's way too early to know anything for sure.
    I do know that Idzik, MM and Lee all had a real hard look at Geno and if they didn't see it they wouldn't have taken him. I trust their eyes more than anyone on this forum.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    There have been others who compared Geno to Rogers. It's not like saying there are similarities means we have to take the jump all the way to Geno being exactly like Rogers in terms of his Super Bowl win. Whenever a comparison is made like this there are those who base the comparison solely on the Star players full career as opposed to "TRAITS" they may share. It's so annoying really.

Geno has a lot of talent and a long way to go but he's shown some similar traits to the way Rogers plays. That's not the same as saying he will be exactly like Rogers. In fact Rogers success is not just due to his talent but a lot of other factors. We can't predict what the team will be like around Geno in the future, so there's no way to really compare the career Geno will have. The circumstances will be different. I think anyone who is so sure Geno is going to be nothing of note aren't standing on firm ground either. They don't have any real evidence to stand on. It's way too early to know anything for sure.
    I do know that Idzik, MM and Lee all had a real hard look at Geno and if they didn't see it they wouldn't have taken him. I trust their eyes more than anyone on this forum.
    Wait aren't potential great QB's supposed to make everyone around them better and carry teams on their back , that's what we keep hearing about Sanchez and we know the **** teams and coaching he's had to deal with.