Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith has Aaron Rodgers talent

Geno Smith has Aaron Rodgers talent

For all his so called shortcomings,his college film shows 2 key things I like.Anticipation and down field accuracy.Those 2 things seperate qbs and that is what I see. He has all the tools to become a top 5 qb in the nfl and be an elite qb,and he is our future and not somebody in next years draft.

I tried to convince myself that the scout reports are right,but I don't get them. The reason west virginia failed was because they couldn't get off the field,and not because of him.He had a great td - int ratio. I think the majority who are feeling down on him,will soon see a reverse coarse after the Giants game assuming he plays.He has all the talent in the world,but needs to get on the page with the wrs in game action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    For all his so called shortcomings,his college film shows 2 key things I like.Anticipation and down field accuracy.Those 2 things seperate qbs and that is what I see. He has all the tools to become a top 5 qb in the nfl and be an elite qb,and he is our future and not somebody in next years draft.

Puff puff pass bro.

Geno Smith was the best QB in this draft. His stock plummeted because his team was poor and he had some mediocre outings trying to come behind and then getting the horrible advice not to attend the seniot bowl. Had he attented the senior bowl he would have been picked early in the first round. Just need to hop his ankle heals and the Jets give him three quarters Saturday

What is great is - geno has a lot to learn and is nowhere near his potential in NFl . yet he STILL is already better then suckez.. Geno will be starter very soon..

Hall Of Fame
    What kind of cookies you eating?

All League
    I read this thread title and spit my morning coffee in hilarity....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    I know, do these things get made immediately following an evening bender or do we have guys here that are admitted to Creed-more, wait, that's dumb too, of course we do......

OP might have had a better chance of selling his argument by not drawing comparisons to the best QB in the league.

Only watched the first 5 minutes since we've all seen the highlights. There were some ****ty throws in the "lowlights" section, but at least the two INTs against K-State came from athletic plays by the defense, and the 3rd INT was all due to the receiver stopping his route just as Geno threw the ball. That's 50% of his INTs for the entire season. Not bad.

Man he took a shot at :50 in.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    That's nothing. Between this thread and the last one I just read here, you guys now have the second coming of Aaron Rogers and Eli Manning as QB's. I'd go with Rogers, even though he only won one SB.

Veteran

Yeah I don't see it. He seems like an average QB playing with superior talent at the WR position. In college any QB would look good when you have to nfl caliber recievers. I think Geno's upside is lower tier QB maybe slightly above Sanchez but not much higher. He played bad in all the big games, and that is not a quality you want in a QB. The "Good" sanchez is a much better QB then the "good" geno, but we don't get enough of the Good sanchez and too much of the bad.

Lets hope we draft a real franchise QB next year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post

Amen to that !

Really? We draft who many thought was the best QB in this year's draft, the season hasn't even started yet, and people are already "hoping" we fail so we can draft another top QB next year? Give me a break.

How about we just suck every year? Then we can look forward to drafting the best player at whatever position is lacking most. Hallelujah!

Jets Insider VIP
    This is like last year when you all said Sanchez is just like Eli and Drew Brees. I love these threads.

All Pro
    Yeah I don't see it. He seems like an average QB playing with superior talent at the WR position. In college any QB would look good when you have to nfl caliber recievers. I think Geno's upside is lower tier QB maybe slightly above Sanchez but not much higher. He played bad in all the big games, and that is not a quality you want in a QB. The "Good" sanchez is a much better QB then the "good" geno, but we don't get enough of the Good sanchez and too much of the bad.

I don't think I've seen that Sanchez yet. What are you basing that on? Did you play with him in high school?
    Last edited by RIJetFan; 08-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This thread and others like it are the 21st century version of that "This is your brain on drugs" fried egg commercial.

Do you actually know anything you are talking about?

"Played bad in big games"

WVA beat higher ranked Clemson in the 2011 orange bowl behind 407 yards passing and 6 TDs by Geno Smith

In the 3 2012 games vs ranked opponents WVA put up 48 points in a win vs Texas, 49 points in a 1 pt loss to Oklahoma (defense gave up 50), and 14 points in a loss to Kstate.

He really fell flat in those games?????

Hey at least he only said he has Aaron Rodgers talent and didn't call him the next "Beast"---you gotta love fans.

All Pro
    If the D is as good as it looks like it might be, we just need a QB with a decent completion percentage who is not a turnover machine. IMHO, Geno can be that guy. Sanchez has demonstrated over the past four years that he can not.

I do not expect Geno to approach his college stats in the NFL, but they may be indicative of some of the differences between him and Mark. Geno completed over 70% of his passes his senior year in college (substantially higher than Mark). Geno had 40+ TDs and only 6 INTs his senior year, playing under pressure and against some good defenses. His low interception ratio was consistent throughout his college career. Over his four years, Geno threw a total of 21 INTs in 1465 attempts. Mark threw almost as many (16) in only 487 career attempts at USC. I know they played in different conferences, with different offenses and with different levels of competition, but I think these numbers support an argument that Smith is likely to be more accurate and commit less turnovers than Sanchez would.

All Pro

Don't know who put this reel together but whoever did it probably helped make him fall to the second round. I expect you could put together a similar reel for any top prospect.