Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Geno's week to unseat Sanchez- NY POST- Steve Serby

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    then they decided the outcome before the first preseason game, if they never intended to give geno a shot.
    How so? He was injured. Do you think they were not going to let Geno play if he was healthy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno should 100% get the start on Saturday if healthy.

Everyone keeps saying that Geno needs to "win the job." Well, the fact is the incumbent is "losing the job," and any competent team manager should relish an opportunity to evaluate Geno against some real competition. Sanchez is blowing his opportunity (as expected), the team would be dumb to move forward without giving Geno an opportunity to seize the moment, show he can handle real NFL competition, and run Mornhinweg's offense efficiently.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless, how Geno does I think this game will help him adjust to the NFL. A bunch of baby steps and this is one of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How so? He was injured. Do you think they were not going to let Geno play if he was healthy?
    you wrote they shouldn't sit a qb who will start opening day. well, if sanchez starts games 1 and 3 in the preseason, it's circular reasoning. if it's a real competition then geno should start this week. if it was never a real competition, then start sanchez and lie and say he earned it. which he hasn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Geno should 100% get the start on Saturday if healthy.

Everyone keeps saying that Geno needs to "win the job." Well, the fact is the incumbent is "losing the job," and any competent team manager should relish an opportunity to evaluate Geno against some real competition. Sanchez is blowing his opportunity (as expected), the team would be dumb to move forward without giving Geno an opportunity to seize the moment, show he can handle real NFL competition, and run Mornhinweg's offense efficiently.
    I think that's what we're all hoping for, Jets coaching staff included.

if Geno "seizes the moment" vs. the Giants it will be very easy to name him the starter. if he struggles, we'll likely go with Mark for Week 1.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's that important who starts week one especially if it's Sanchez. Geno will have the job by week 4-6 which I think is the right thing to do with Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you wrote they shouldn't sit a qb who will start opening day. well, if sanchez starts games 1 and 3 in the preseason, it's circular reasoning. if it's a real competition then geno should start this week. if it was never a real competition, then start sanchez and lie and say he earned it. which he hasn't.
    I said they shouldnt sit a guy who could likely be their starter, and said that Geno will not play 3 quarters even if he starts. You are so consumed with the notion that this competition is fixed that you are not seeing the reality in all of this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There has been no word as to who is starting yet. Also, I highly doubt Geno gets to play 3 quarters as some have suggested.
    The first half and the first drive of the 3rd quarter sounds about right. Sanchez got his extended look on Saturday, but he should get at least one series with the ones on Saturday.

I would also say that whoever wins the gig should get 2 series in the Philly game. I know the usual is 1 (or none), but I believe an exception to that rule is in order this year (especially if it's Geno).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    The first half and the first drive of the 3rd quarter sounds about right. Sanchez got his extended look on Saturday, but he should get at least one series with the ones on Saturday.

I would also say that whoever wins the gig should get 2 series in the Philly game. I know the usual is 1 (or none), but I believe an exception to that rule is in order this year (especially if it's Geno).
    Assuming both QBs have an even week of practice I would think that Sanchez would start and play the first quarter and then Geno would play the second and third with the starters.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If you're on record saying the Jets have playmakers comparable to other teams out there, then you are definitely entitled to put blame solely on Mark's shoulders. But that would put you in the minority. The majority of fans feel we are desperately lacking on the offensive side of the ball, especially with Holmes out. Yet somehow they turn around and act shocked that Mark can't do more with the "nothing" he's been given.

Personally, I feel Mark has shown he can be a decent PART of an offense, but not a leader of that offense. That's obviously not how you want to characterize your QB, but until a better option presents itself I'll hope MM can make more of what we have, making Mark better by default . . .
    Agree with your last paragraph, but otherwise yes, I think the Jets weapons are underrated. LAST year's offensive weapons stunk after Holmes went down. You had a raw rookie in Hill, a 2nd-year guy in Kerley, and a guy who might as well have been a rookie in Cumberland. Hell Chaz Schilens started 6 games last year, and now he's in a fight for a #5 spot in Detroit.

All three of those guys look better this year after an offseason of development. Now you have Winslow and Edwards in the mix. You added an RB who's a threat out of the backfield (if he ever sees the field). And maybe Holmes returns.

I firmly believe a top-20 QB can succeed with this talent...unfortunately the Jets don't have one right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming both QBs have an even week of practice I would think that Sanchez would start and play the first quarter and then Geno would play the second and third with the starters.
    I could see it going that way, but really hope they give Geno a shot to run out of the tunnel knowing he's getting the first snap. Let him see a #1 defense that's fired up and ready to play. Full on nerves. I think that would only add to the evaluation, but we'll see what the CS does.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're on record saying the Jets have playmakers comparable to other teams out there, then you are definitely entitled to put blame solely on Mark's shoulders. But that would put you in the minority. The majority of fans feel we are desperately lacking on the offensive side of the ball, especially with Holmes out. Yet somehow they turn around and act shocked that Mark can't do more with the "nothing" he's been given.

Personally, I feel Mark has shown he can be a decent PART of an offense, but not a leader of that offense. That's obviously not how you want to characterize your QB, but until a better option presents itself I'll hope MM can make more of what we have, making Mark better by default . . .
    I don't think the "Majority" of fans think the lack of offense is because of WR/TE, RB talent - I would agree with the previous poster in that most fans believe our skill players are more than adequate if we had a franchise type QB. (when I say franchise I'm meaning top half of the league)

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hate when people keep writing about the glaring dearth of playmakers. these are the same guys who are catching sanchez's passes when he looked good against jax and detroit. then when the offense fails, there's a dearth of them.
    Last year; first NEP game; Sanchez hit Hill in the hands on an important 3rd down play; inside NE territory. Hill dropped it; drive (and game) over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an outstanding Post!!!

The Jets offensive players are suspect at best!!

Jets fans are the most delusional on the planet....

Look at the responses in this thread!!!

Utter nonsense; for example Windslow and Edwards (whom I love) have both them each one foot out of the league!!! You guys act like we have Mark Bravaro and Jerry Rice coming to the team. Neither one of those two players can even practice everyday!!!! And these are examples in this thread of our UPGRADES from last year!!!

One poster last year said that last years team's offensive talent was the most talented in Jet team HISTORY and called me ignorant for not agreeing with him!!

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-19-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the competition is still open because Mark couldn't seal the deal.

if Geno has a good week of practice, I absolutely expect him to be the starter vs. the Giants. if that's the case, I'd expect him to go the full first half against the starters, with Sanchez getting some reps in the 3rd quarter.
    I'm hoping the ankle holds up. He needs his quick movements in the pocket to perform properly. He also needs to put pressure on that ankle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    [B]The Jets offensive players are suspect at best!!
    Agree to disagree.

Holmes-Hill-Kerley-Edwards-Spadola-Gates
    Powell-Ivory-Bell-Bhannon-Goodson (if he comes back)
    Winslow-Cumberland

IMO thats a perfectly acceptable talent group for an NFL QB to work with.

The "we have no talent on O" argument is, IMO, a weak one in 2013.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Agree to disagree.

Winslow-Cumberland

Agreed. In 2012, Sanchez had ZERO to work with )No Bray/Holmes hurt/Keller hurt/Greene at RB/rookie Hill dropping everything) and had an OC that was pathetic.

There are no such excuses this year. Hill looks better/Kerley is very good/Braylon looks like braylon/holmes could be back soon/Spadola looks like a player/Gates is emerging/Winslow looks healthy. Plus we got a new stable of RBs to go along with an improved OL. And the best part, is a respected OC that has had tons of success as an OC.

Sanchez may not have Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, but he has weapons this year. If he can't succeed now and beat out a rookie who missed a week with an injury, it really is lights out on his career.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except it makes no sense to not play a guy who could very likely be your starting QB come week one. They aren't going to put Mark out there with the 4th sting O line and offense.
    Playing Mark against the Giants isn't going to make him any better. He is what he is at this point. The staff knows what he has to offer. If Geno is healthy it makes sense to give him an extended look.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Agree to disagree.

Winslow-Cumberland

I never said this years talent is as poor as last years!!

Yes we have an upgrade but to act like we have talent to equal to say the top 15 offensive teams in the league is not true...

I have no excuses for Sanchez with this talent pool. My concern from day one has been fans who overestimate the Jets talent pool today, will be sending Smith hateful mail by the end of the season. The quaint notion that Jets fans wouldn't do such a thing is easily disproven by those who have cheered QB injuries in the past and wished as recently as last week that Sanchez contract cancer!!

I am not looking for our offensive talent to be all world I am saying that many are estimating what we currently have on the drawing board. Potential as has been said a thousand times before, just means you haven't done it yet....

But who can disagree with your statement that the Jets are better than they were last year, no doubt about it, especially since they now have a competent OC now running the show.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    Playing Mark against the Giants isn't going to make him any better. He is what he is at this point. The staff knows what he has to offer. If Geno is healthy it makes sense to give him an extended look.
    Except for the fact that we're running a different offense and MM needs to evaluate his "starter" as often as possible in preparation for the season.

I have no problem giving Geno as much time as they want, but I also have no problem with them wanting to continue working with Sanchez . . .