It's Geno's week to unseat Sanchez- NY POST- Steve Serby

Itís Genoís week to unseat Sanchez
    By STEVE SERBY
    Last Updated: 4:43 AM, August 19, 2013
    Posted: 1:50 AM, August 19, 2013
    Jets Blog

headshot
    Steve Serby

This is now Geno Smithís week, Geno Smithís game Saturday night against the Giants, Geno Smithís time to show he can be the leader the Jets so desperately need. Geno Smithís chance to give a franchise that would sell its soul to Joe Namath for the hope he can one day be its franchise quarterback.

Itís only one week, and it wonít even be a complete game, but if Smithís ankle holds up, and he can somehow show up as The Natural, magically make Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley and Jeff Cumberland better, throw footballs that stick to Hillís fingers, avoid Pick Sixes and red zone picks, get the ball out of his hands before the half expires so Rex Ryan can send in the field goal unit, he should be the one under center staring down Darrelle Revis on Sept. 8.

MARK SANCHEZ - Was once known as the Sanchise.

MARK SANCHEZ
    Was once known as the Sanchise.

This should be his job to win now.

For plenty of reasons, not the least of which is this one:

If Mark Sanchez, the fifth-year incumbent, cannot stop making rookie mistakes, the rookie deserves the keys to the kingdom if he is the one who isnít making the rookie mistakes.

Itís only one week, and it wonít be longer than three quarters, but if Smith shows the moment is not too big for him, if he shows he has command of the huddle and mastered Marty Mornhinwegís offense, then that should be enough to win Ryanís trust and the starting job that comes with it.

This isnít about expecting Smith to be this yearís version of Andrew Luck, or Robert Griffin III, or Russell Wilson, nor should it be. But the mere fact this quarterback competition has been extended to the third preseason game ought to tell you all you need to know about how some of the Jets decision makers would like this to end. Itís a good thing for general manager John Idzik, who drafted Smith in the second round, who signed a hobbled David Garrard to challenge Sanchez, whose moves suggest a worst-case inheritance of an $8.25 million albatross, that Sanchez has to date resisted hiring pitbull A -Rod lawyer Joseph Tacopina to seek truth, justice and bark at the Jet Way.

This is an NFL now where coaches, both established and novices, are no longer reluctant to throw pup quarterbacks to the wolves. Joe Philbin, as the rookie coach of the Dolphins, picked rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill over Matt Moore a year ago. Doug Marrone, the rookie coach of the Bills, appeared ready to annoint rookie quarterback E.J. Manuel over Kevin Kolb, at least until Manuel suffered a knee injury that required surgery yesterday. Ryan himself was a rookie coach when he went with a rookie quarterback we used to call the Sanchise seemingly an eternity ago.

Sanchez, to be fair, is functioning under his third offensive coordinator in three years, with a glaring dearth of playmakers around him. Logic would dictate he canít help but improve under Mornhinwegís direction. But the days of fantasizing over his upside are over. The days of fantasizing over Smithís upside have only just begun.

It is virtually impossible to rally around a quarterback who continues to make the very mistakes that contributed greatly to the recent Jets demise. It might have been a measure of Ryanís loyalty or the fact that he doesnít yet trust Smith enough when he took the blame for Sanchezís end-of-the-half brainlock. It is inexcusable for any quarterback to start a red zone play with six seconds left and trudge off to the locker room with no more time and no more points.

Smithís Wednesday practice was ďbrutal?Ē Well, what was that?

Smith draws the short straw here, a Giants defense looking to reestablish itself at home instead of the Jaguars defense, but at least he wonít have to worry about Jason Pierre-Paul trying to hunt him down. Itís a tall order for a rookie. If he comes up big, give him the job, and letís get on with this rebuilding program.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great chance for Geno to make an early statement. Sanchez could have closed the door on Saturday had the 2nd quarter been as good as the 1st, but it wasn't. 6 days of good football followed by a good performance against the Giants and Geno's got a real chance to come from behind and win this thing.

150+ yards, 65% completion, at least 1 TD and (most importantly) no INTs. For me, that would be good enough to get it done.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that sanchez's up and down performance has given Geno a window despite he ankle injury.

Come on kid ... Make it count!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We really gotta stop acting like there's some hard deadline with Geno starting week 1. If he's the goods, he'll get in there. If Sanchez craps the bed, he'll get in there. I just don't see how we'll know either one of those before the season even starts.

Do I hope Geno lights it up against the Giants? Of course I do -- I remember being at the Cruz preseason breakout and KNOWING that kid was the goods. If we could get that in a QB? I just wet myself thinking about it. But it's really not fair to put those expectations on the kid. He could easily struggle Saturday, even struggle into the season, but still end up being our future.

I know some just want to throw the kid out there, but I don't mind waiting until he's ready to impress . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good read, think it accurately captures the state of the sanchise

That is assuming Geno plays...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    We really gotta stop acting like there's some hard deadline with Geno starting week 1. If he's the goods, he'll get in there. If Sanchez craps the bed, he'll get in there. I just don't see how we'll know either one of those before the season even starts.

Do I hope Geno lights it up against the Giants? Of course I do -- I remember being at the Cruz preseason breakout and KNOWING that kid was the goods. If we could get that in a QB? I just wet myself thinking about it. But it's really not fair to put those expectations on the kid. He could easily struggle Saturday, even struggle into the season, but still end up being our future.

I know some just want to throw the kid out there, but I don't mind waiting until he's ready to impress . . .
    +1 Agreed! Smith doesn't have to start the season to unseat Sanchez. Its gonna happen sooner rather than later. If Sanchez comes out and has a great start to the season then great the Jets are winning games. If Sanchez is Sanchez then Geno will be starting by game 3. Sooner or later the better QB will rise to the top of the Jets depth chart.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giants defense sucks so this should be a good opportunity for Geno to succeed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    the move is to cut sanchez and keep simms and mcelroy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hate when people keep writing about the glaring dearth of playmakers. these are the same guys who are catching sanchez's passes when he looked good against jax and detroit. then when the offense fails, there's a dearth of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Geno to win this job, I want him to play well on Saturday. Mainly because Sanchez had the opportunity to close the casket on the competition last game and he didn't take advantage....he is who he is an inconsistent below average to average QB. Geno has above average skills.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i hate when people keep writing about the glaring dearth of playmakers. these are the same guys who are catching sanchez's passes when he looked good against jax and detroit. then when the offense fails, there's a dearth of them.
    Couldn't agree more. I was concerned about the TE position, but with Cumberland improving and Winslow in the mix, that's not going to be the crutch we thought it would be. And for those saying there's no skill on the outside, ask yourself if you'd be confident with Hill, Kerley, & Edwards (and eventually Holmes) if the QB was top-15. If the answer is yes, then the receivers aren't the problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I was concerned about the TE position, but with Cumberland improving and Winslow in the mix, that's not going to be the crutch we thought it would be. And for those saying there's no skill on the outside, ask yourself if you'd be confident with Hill, Kerley, & Edwards (and eventually Holmes) if the QB was top-15. If the answer is yes, then the receivers aren't the problem.
    If you're on record saying the Jets have playmakers comparable to other teams out there, then you are definitely entitled to put blame solely on Mark's shoulders. But that would put you in the minority. The majority of fans feel we are desperately lacking on the offensive side of the ball, especially with Holmes out. Yet somehow they turn around and act shocked that Mark can't do more with the "nothing" he's been given.

Personally, I feel Mark has shown he can be a decent PART of an offense, but not a leader of that offense. That's obviously not how you want to characterize your QB, but until a better option presents itself I'll hope MM can make more of what we have, making Mark better by default . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Sanchez looked decent in last weeks game but not seeing Gates wide open in the end zone and throwing low for the int when midget Trufant (5' 11") is on Winslow (6' 4") is unacceptable. That ball needs to be thrown high and is a "rookie" mistake. That being said he is definitely showing improvement over last year and I think given more time in the MM system he could be adequate. I need to see Smith make great decisions and move the ball before I would hand him the job.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    That is assuming Geno plays...
    Did I miss where the team announced that Geno Smith was the starter vs. the Giants?

Until I hear that announcment, I believe Sanchez will start that game. Game #3 is to get ready for the season and the games that count. It's too late for QB competitions IMO.

And yes, I am aware of the Russel Wilson and Idzik thing, got it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If you're on record saying the Jets have playmakers comparable to other teams out there, then you are definitely entitled to put blame solely on Mark's shoulders. But that would put you in the minority. The majority of fans feel we are desperately lacking on the offensive side of the ball, especially with Holmes out. Yet somehow they turn around and act shocked that Mark can't do more with the "nothing" he's been given.

Personally, I feel Mark has shown he can be a decent PART of an offense, but not a leader of that offense. That's obviously not how you want to characterize your QB, but until a better option presents itself I'll hope MM can make more of what we have, making Mark better by default . . .
    point is, when sanchez scores in preseason it's all attributed to him and not the guys catching the ball. but when he screws up there are too many who say well he has no playmakers. can't have it both ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Did I miss where the team announced that Geno Smith was the starter vs. the Giants?

Until I hear that announcment, I believe Sanchez will start that game. Game #3 is to get ready for the season and the games that count. It's too late for QB competitions IMO.

And yes, I am aware of the Russel Wilson and Idzik thing, got it.
    There has been no word as to who is starting yet. Also, I highly doubt Geno gets to play 3 quarters as some have suggested.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There has been no word as to who is starting yet. Also, I highly doubt Geno gets to play 3 quarters as some have suggested.
    Well he should. We got an extended look at Mark, they should do,the same with Geno

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Well he should. We got an extended look at Mark, they should do,the same with Geno
    Except it makes no sense to not play a guy who could very likely be your starting QB come week one. They aren't going to put Mark out there with the 4th sting O line and offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Except it makes no sense to not play a guy who could very likely be your starting QB come week one. They aren't going to put Mark out there with the 4th sting O line and offense.
    then they decided the outcome before the first preseason game, if they never intended to give geno a shot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the competition is still open because Mark couldn't seal the deal.

if Geno has a good week of practice, I absolutely expect him to be the starter vs. the Giants. if that's the case, I'd expect him to go the full first half against the starters, with Sanchez getting some reps in the 3rd quarter.