Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Start Powell

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Start Powell

To be clear, this is not a "bash Chris Ivory" post in any way. But I've been very impressed with Powell through the first two games, and assuming nothing else changes during the preseason I think he should be the starter. Here's why:

No matter who wins the QB battle, it stands to reason that defensive coaches are going to send pressure early and often to force mistakes. I think it makes sense to have the more "complete" back in the lineup in the early stages, to help with blitz protection/catching the ball, etc. And while not a burner, Powell has the shiftiness to take advantage of an over-aggressive defense.

Then as the game progresses, you start to work Ivory in. Let him take advantage of a tired defense with fresh legs. We already saw his violent style on a couple of plays from Saturday - anxious to see him punish tired defenders and churn out extra yards (and possibly break one). This is the role that Ivory has been effective in so far...why not leave him in that role while he gets up to speed?

If/When Ivory shows he can be the bell cow, switch it up. But I think Powell's earned the starting job and might be a big part of the offense when defenses are looking to send the house.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally had a feeling we'd be RBBC, so it's fine. I think Ivory is gonna be more effective late in the 2nd quarter and beyond due to defenses starting to tire a bit.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think it matters much who starts. Both Powell and Ivory will see plenty of action.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I dont think it matters much who starts. Both Powell and Ivory will see plenty of action.
    Exactly.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell is starting and looked great Saturday Night. Ivory looked awful. Powell with have over 1,000 yards rushing this year and at least 50 catches. He will open eyes this year. Ivory is the 2nd string rb on this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Powell is starting and looked great Saturday Night. Ivory looked awful. Powell with have over 1,000 yards rushing this year and at least 50 catches. He will open eyes this year. Ivory is the 2nd string rb on this team.
    That is some quality analysis, 6 plays for Ivory, and it's all wrapped up?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Ivory made a few plays when no holes were there. Today he looked spectacular in practice. Let's see what develops.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ivory is gonna own it in the 3rd quarter.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    To be clear, this is not a "bash Chris Ivory" post in any way. But I've been very impressed with Powell through the first two games, and assuming nothing else changes during the preseason I think he should be the starter. Here's why:

No matter who wins the QB battle, it stands to reason that defensive coaches are going to send pressure early and often to force mistakes. I think it makes sense to have the more "complete" back in the lineup in the early stages, to help with blitz protection/catching the ball, etc. And while not a burner, Powell has the shiftiness to take advantage of an over-aggressive defense.

Then as the game progresses, you start to work Ivory in. Let him take advantage of a tired defense with fresh legs. We already saw his violent style on a couple of plays from Saturday - anxious to see him punish tired defenders and churn out extra yards (and possibly break one). This is the role that Ivory has been effective in so far...why not leave him in that role while he gets up to speed?

If/When Ivory shows he can be the bell cow, switch it up. But I think Powell's earned the starting job and might be a big part of the offense when defenses are looking to send the house.

Thoughts?
    Ive been very impressed with Powell over the PAST 2 SEASONS

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

Thoughts?
    I agree. I have been more impressed with Powell than any other RB. He's playing better right now than I've ever seen him play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree. I have been more impressed with Powell than any other RB. He's playing better right now than I've ever seen him play.
    And he seems to always be healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell will be part of the group, but he isn't the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IDK .. Powell has been pretty damn durable ... I really like this kid ... He MAY be The Man if Ivory can't stay on the field.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been really impressed by Powell since last year. He's just an all around good football player, that has a great work ethic and attitude. He busts his butt doing all the little things well that will (given we find more players like him) be the difference between winning and losing some day. For example, chasing down an opposition player 30 yards downfield after a Sanchez fumble or interception - saw that a couple times from him. HA.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I've been really impressed by Powell since last year. He's just an all around good football player, that has a great work ethic and attitude. He busts his butt doing all the little things well that will (given we find more players like him) be the difference between winning and losing some day. For example, chasing down an opposition player 30 yards downfield after a Sanchez fumble or interception - saw that a couple times from him. HA.
    I think this is why Lynn was quoted as saying "this is a guy you win championships with." He might not be a 1,400-yard guy, but he's the type of guy that does those things that make a difference between getting over the hurdle and coming up just short. Kevin Faulk type, with maybe even a little more production.