Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Mornhinweg: "Do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Marty Mornhinweg: "Do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Marty was just interviewed live on Boomer and Carton and love Carton or hate him, he's a great interviewer as he is more than willing to let an interview get awkward due to asking tough questions. A portion of his interview is as follows:

"Marty, you got a guy in Sanchez who now and in the past has looked really good in spurts. He continues however, even now in his 5th season to make the same boneheaded plays that have plagued him his entire career. I need to ask you, point blank, do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Marty totally avoids the question with some non-specific answer of, "The QB position is all about trust and communication. One of my biggest strengths, and at times my biggest weakness is putting so much trust in my QBs. We as coaches are teachers. Constantly teaching, reteaching, and then reteaching again. When it comes time for the players to execute, you have to trust that they will."

Carton totally doesn't accept that as an answer and says, "You're good. I can tell you have been doing this for a long time. But you didn't answer my question. Do you trust Mark Sanchez? 4th quarter, you're down 6, a minute left, no timeouts, and you need to throw the ball to win the game. That scenario, do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Marty regergitates the exact same answer he previously gave. Carton again doesn't want to accept it and tried to interrupt Marty by saying, "You're not answering the question. Mark Sanchez, do you trust him as the QB of your team?" Marty continues to avoid the question and Boomer jumps in with a softball question to get him off the hook.

Pressed for an answer, then pressed again and pressed again, Marty just could not bring himself to out loud say that he trusted Sanchez. Even if he did not trust him in his heart of hearts, the easy thing to do would have been to just say he did as a sign of support for his guy. He couldn't even do it. If you heard the interview it was very telling. It wasn't a scenario of Marty refusing to answer the question simply out of spite or because he was "standing his ground." The guys were getting along great with lots of laughter during the interview. Even bits of laughter during this specific questioning.

I truly believe now (as many others probably do/did) that the job is Geno's to win with a strong showing next weekend against the Giants. Marty really does not trust Mark Sanchez as his QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty damning.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has a chance to turn it around. He is in a new system and he's familiar with the WRs this year. His stats should improve dramatically. As long as we games the fans will forgive him. If not we go with Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Sanchez has a chance to turn it around. He is in a new system and he's familiar with the WRs this year. His stats should improve dramatically. As long as we games the fans will forgive him. If not we go with Geno.
    I think everyone on the Jets is mindful of the need to be credible in the future after Sanchez has been released. Marty is clearly interested in a gig that lasts for longer than one year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I think everyone on the Jets is mindful of the need to be credible in the future after Sanchez has been released. Marty is clearly interested in a gig that lasts for longer than one year.
    +1

As Carton said, MM has been doing this for a while. Nothing to gain by answering that question directly, though it does speak to how Sanchez is viewed around the league (and by his own team) when a question like that is one that the OC has to avoid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can be telling how MM handled that interview, and he probably doesn't trust Mark deep down, but I don't expect him to say "Mark is my guy" to the media in the middle of a QB competition.

Edit: Yea he still could have said "I trust Mark" in spite of his competition with Geno.
    Last edited by carlito1171; 08-19-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    but I don't expect him to say "Mark is my guy" to the media in the middle of a QB competition
    He could have easily said, "Yes, I trust Mark. I trust Geno, too. I trust all of our QBs."

Boom question answered, still slightly avoided, and everyone moves on. The fact he was pressed and given the opportunity 3 separate times and wouldn't even give a corporate line answer is surprising (while also not surprising at all - since many people don't trust Sanchez). It just wasn't "by the books."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    He could have easily said, "Yes, I trust Mark. I trust Geno, too. I trust all of our QBs."

Boom question answered, still slightly avoided, and everyone moves on. The fact he was pressed and given the opportunity 3 separate times and wouldn't even give a corporate line answer is surprising (while also not surprising at all - since many people don't trust Sanchez). It just wasn't "by the books."
    yes, he could have lied and and that would have been that. in fairness, who does trust him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

hence why I edited my OP.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty needs to lay off the dip. Disgusting habit. Other than that I enjoy listening to him talk and I got the feeling that Idzik promised him an interim job if things turned sour with Rex and that is why he didn't follow Andy to KC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trusting that as long as Sanchez is out there, it's because MM believes he's the best option, whether he likes him or not. And that's why I'll just root for the guy to do his best, warts and all. Hopefully Geno makes it a no brainer to who's the better QB, but I'm not ready to blindly believe in him until the CS gives me reason to . . .

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I truly believe now (as many others probably do/did) that the job is Geno's to win with a strong showing next weekend against the Giants. Marty really does not trust Mark Sanchez as his QB.
    I'm not so sure of that. I think the deck is stacked against him - at least as it relates to week 1. The job is almost in his pocket long term, but for week 1, I get the feeling that they've been looking to give it to Sanchez. They still don't trust him and don't seem him finishing the season, IMO, but they'd rather give the ball to him to start the season and see where it goes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best post I've read here in sometime now. This is the exact same thought I have and all fans should. Well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I'm trusting that as long as Sanchez is out there, it's because MM believes he's the best option, whether he likes him or not. And that's why I'll just root for the guy to do his best, warts and all. Hopefully Geno makes it a no brainer to who's the better QB, but I'm not ready to blindly believe in him until the CS gives me reason to . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Marty needs to lay off the dip. Disgusting habit. Other than that I enjoy listening to him talk and I got the feeling that Idzik promised him an interim job if things turned sour with Rex and that is why he didn't follow Andy to KC.
    Fully agree that this is the case. Why else would MM take a job with a lame-duck HC, knowing that if the HC is fired and replaced that the new guy may clean house?

MM has to be looking at this as an audition for a HC spot with the Jets...it's a smart play on his part as if he can make any headway with an offense that was terrible last year, he'll have a leg up on the competition.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is all starting to look like they brought Marty M in here to at least get Mark to be average in the hopes they can trade him at some point. Anyone that believes that Mark has a future in NY is kidding themselves. He's not Idziks boy, just like Rex is not Idziks coach. Both of these guys are tied to one another & Rex, Red,yellow,green cards were the dumbest thing to ever come out of a coaching staff, EVER! RED YELLOW GREEN MY AZZ, you have a QB that you need flash cards for you need a new QB.
    If we didn't have MM coaching up Geno, I might be hesitant but I like what I have seen from an MM offense so far. If Geno didn't tweak his ankle, he would have won the competition vs the Jags.
    Last question, what the hell has happened to Sanchez & his scrambling & throwing on the run? He runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, never keeps his eyes downfield & never throws accurately anymore on the run?
    Man, it just amazes me the downfall of this kid from that 1st game I saw of him vs Houston in 2009 to where he is today a full 5 years later & he's worse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Fully agree that this is the case. Why else would MM take a job with a lame-duck HC, knowing that if the HC is fired and replaced that the new guy may clean house?

MM has to be looking at this as an audition for a HC spot with the Jets...it's a smart play on his part as if he can make any headway with an offense that was terrible last year, he'll have a leg up on the competition.
    especially since there was no guarantee the jets would even draft a qb. geno falling into their laps in the 2nd round was completely unforeseen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    This is sane...

And which is why it has no place on this board.....

Thank you.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Last question, what the hell has happened to Sanchez & his scrambling & throwing on the run? He runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, never keeps his eyes downfield & never throws accurately anymore on the run?
    Man, it just amazes me the downfall of this kid from that 1st game I saw of him vs Houston in 2009 to where he is today a full 5 years later & he's worse.
    It is called the magic of the Jets coaching staff!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It is called the magic of the Jets coaching staff!!!
    Well keep in mind that even his completions can be scary. The throw to Hill that he threw to the left shoulder was Sanchez best pass of the night....but here's where it gets interesting....Hill was TRIPLE COVERED! I mean seriously there had to be someone else open on that play when you got 3 secondary guys within 1 yard of the WR. I would love to be watching that replay with MM going... he's wide open over here but you went to a triple covered Hill?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Well keep in mind that even his completions can be scary. The throw to Hill that he threw to the left shoulder was Sanchez best pass of the night....but here's where it gets interesting....Hill was TRIPLE COVERED! I mean seriously there had to be someone else open on that play when you got 3 secondary guys within 1 yard of the WR. I would love to be watching that replay with MM going... he's wide open over here but you went to a triple covered Hill?
    Hopefully that's EXACTLY what happens, and if Mark doesn't respond appropriately his butt should be on the bench.

But on the flip side I've heard multiple people say his most recent INT was more on Winslow than on him. If that's true, MM knows that as well. So whether MM is correcting him or encouraging him, we've got to give it time to see if it sticks. Yes Mark's going on his 5th NFL season, but most here would agree it's his FIRST season with an OC on Marty's level, so there has to at least be a CHANCE this has a positive impact on all QBs on the roster . . .