Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marty Mornhinweg: "Do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I caught the B & C interview with Sanchez himself and when asked by Boomer how he felt walking back to the huddle after the pick six against Detroit, after much tap dancing around the question he actually said "SO WHAT, it was the 3rd or 4th play of the game". He clearly does not get it and never will. This is the guy who may be leading our team. I hope Geno is taking notes on what NOT to do and what NOT to say to the press and the fanbase.
    Last edited by Flushing Roots; 08-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's easy to see why publicly expressing anger at poor performances can cause problems, but the way both Rex and Mark are talking to the media this year- how they're looking to put the past behind them (fine) but constantly ignoring current mistakes is the other extreme which is why hardly anyone takes them seriously at this point.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Marty needs to lay off the dip. Disgusting habit. Other than that I enjoy listening to him talk and I got the feeling that Idzik promised him an interim job if things turned sour with Rex and that is why he didn't follow Andy to KC.
    Let the guy dip if he wants to dip wtf do you care, this is a sport, hes not a doctor.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets88NYNY View Post
    Let the guy dip if he wants to dip wtf do you care, this is a sport, hes not a doctor.
    That's like asking 'Why do you care what millionaires do with a football?'

Why does anyone care about anything?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4953312]It can be telling how MM handled that interview, and he probably doesn't trust Mark deep down, but I don't expect him to say "Mark is my guy" to the media in the middle of a QB competition.

Oh, no - that's for sure.... that is saved for Rex. You don't and won't see a tattoo on MM's arm!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Marty was just interviewed live on Boomer and Carton and love Carton or hate him, he's a great interviewer as he is more than willing to let an interview get awkward due to asking tough questions. A portion of his interview is as follows:

"Marty, you got a guy in Sanchez who now and in the past has looked really good in spurts. He continues however, even now in his 5th season to make the same boneheaded plays that have plagued him his entire career. I need to ask you, point blank, do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Marty totally avoids the question with some non-specific answer of, "The QB position is all about trust and communication. One of my biggest strengths, and at times my biggest weakness is putting so much trust in my QBs. We as coaches are teachers. Constantly teaching, reteaching, and then reteaching again. When it comes time for the players to execute, you have to trust that they will."

Carton totally doesn't accept that as an answer and says, "You're good. I can tell you have been doing this for a long time. But you didn't answer my question. Do you trust Mark Sanchez? 4th quarter, you're down 6, a minute left, no timeouts, and you need to throw the ball to win the game. That scenario, do you trust Mark Sanchez?"

Marty regergitates the exact same answer he previously gave. Carton again doesn't want to accept it and tried to interrupt Marty by saying, "You're not answering the question. Mark Sanchez, do you trust him as the QB of your team?" Marty continues to avoid the question and Boomer jumps in with a softball question to get him off the hook.

Pressed for an answer, then pressed again and pressed again, Marty just could not bring himself to out loud say that he trusted Sanchez. Even if he did not trust him in his heart of hearts, the easy thing to do would have been to just say he did as a sign of support for his guy. He couldn't even do it. If you heard the interview it was very telling. It wasn't a scenario of Marty refusing to answer the question simply out of spite or because he was "standing his ground." The guys were getting along great with lots of laughter during the interview. Even bits of laughter during this specific questioning.

I truly believe now (as many others probably do/did) that the job is Geno's to win with a strong showing next weekend against the Giants. Marty really does not trust Mark Sanchez as his QB.
    Dam wish I had heard that.. I'm glad Marty is honest and doesn't bs us like Rex does..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty needs to lay off the dip. Disgusting habit. Other than that I enjoy listening to him talk and I got the feeling that Idzik promised him an interim job if things turned sour with Rex and that is why he didn't follow Andy to KC.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Fully agree that this is the case. Why else would MM take a job with a lame-duck HC, knowing that if the HC is fired and replaced that the new guy may clean house?

MM has to be looking at this as an audition for a HC spot with the Jets...it's a smart play on his part as if he can make any headway with an offense that was terrible last year, he'll have a leg up on the competition.
    Except for the fact that Marty was already interviewed and ready to accept the OC job, by the time Idzik was hired..... Idzik just signed off on him. And, that Andy Reid stated that he wanted play calling duties, again, which is why Marty didn't go to KC with him. Other than those facts, these posts are right on. It's gotta be some back room, wink-wink, handshake deal..... it's ALWAYS some shady conspiracy.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Dam wish I had heard that.. I'm glad Marty is honest and doesn't bs us like Rex does..
    Go to WFAN on line and click on Boomer and Carton. You can play the audio.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see that statement as particularly damning. He's intentionally offering a neutral answer because there's no benefit to saying one way or another. He says he trusts Sanchez, the media turns that into MM says Geno is out. He says he doesn't trust Sanchez and that turns into MM says Sanchez is out. He says he trusts all of them and that turns into MM says he trusts Sanchez so Geno is out. There is no benefit to feeding the sharks.

I'd rather MM have an open mind at this point and continue to evaluate the players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Except for the fact that Marty was already interviewed and ready to accept the OC job, by the time Idzik was hired..... Idzik just signed off on him. And, that Andy Reid stated that he wanted play calling duties, again, which is why Marty didn't go to KC with him. Other than those facts, these posts are right on. It's gotta be some back room, wink-wink, handshake deal..... it's ALWAYS some shady conspiracy.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not. If you are, who said anything about a conspiracy? Unless the Jets were his only option, there's no reason for a known commodity like MM to put himself in a situation where he might be looking for work again in a year unless he really thinks he might have a shot at a HC spot the following year (or will just stay in his OC role).

Nothing wrong or shady about the guy taking a shot with a team that might open up a promotional opportunity for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    I don't see that statement as particularly damning. He's intentionally offering a neutral answer because there's no benefit to saying one way or another. He says he trusts Sanchez, the media turns that into MM says Geno is out. He says he doesn't trust Sanchez and that turns into MM says Sanchez is out. He says he trusts all of them and that turns into MM says he trusts Sanchez so Geno is out. There is no benefit to feeding the sharks.

I'd rather MM have an open mind at this point and continue to evaluate the players.
    MM's comments are no more damning than when he praised Sanchez earlier on for "earning" the start in Detroit or when he said that Mark "has had an outstanding camp."

if MM had come out and said "I absolutely trust Sanchez" then he's painting himself into a corner if/when Sanchez gets replaced by Geno.

non issue, imho.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not. If you are, who said anything about a conspiracy? Unless the Jets were his only option, there's no reason for a known commodity like MM to put himself in a situation where he might be looking for work again in a year unless he really thinks he might have a shot at a HC spot the following year (or will just stay in his OC role).

Nothing wrong or shady about the guy taking a shot with a team that might open up a promotional opportunity for him.
    Exactly the point.... he's a known commodity. Coaches like him, don't play the "what if the new coach cleans house" game, because they know they wouldn't be out of work for long. It also doesn't have to be an audition for the Jets job. Any team that was looking for a HC, seeing that he did a good job with a meagerly talented Jets offense, would be interested. You're also ignoring the fact that MM was in place, before Idzik could make any "promotional opportunity" promises to him..... unless you're saying he came here, because, after interviewing with Woody and Rex, he thought he had a shot at HC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, he can only directly answer that question with a yes. If he doesn't he has to give a political answer. Otherwise it would be the only topic of conversation on ESPN and NFL all day and would create some serious issues. The fact he gave the political answer means his answer is NO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was disatrous in Detroit, but he never had anything to work with. I am really impressed with him in interviews. I am not a retread type of guy but would not be opposed to giving him a shot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is all starting to look like they brought Marty M in here to at least get Mark to be average in the hopes they can trade him at some point. Anyone that believes that Mark has a future in NY is kidding themselves. He's not Idziks boy, just like Rex is not Idziks coach. Both of these guys are tied to one another & Rex, Red,yellow,green cards were the dumbest thing to ever come out of a coaching staff, EVER! RED YELLOW GREEN MY AZZ, you have a QB that you need flash cards for you need a new QB.
    If we didn't have MM coaching up Geno, I might be hesitant but I like what I have seen from an MM offense so far. If Geno didn't tweak his ankle, he would have won the competition vs the Jags.
    Last question, what the hell has happened to Sanchez & his scrambling & throwing on the run? He runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, never keeps his eyes downfield & never throws accurately anymore on the run?
    Man, it just amazes me the downfall of this kid from that 1st game I saw of him vs Houston in 2009 to where he is today a full 5 years later & he's worse.
    I have wondered that too. Throwing on the run and great footwork was his thing coming out of college (Simms would go on and on about it) but he has last that from his game. I am not sure he is better than when he came out of college

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I have wondered that too. Throwing on the run and great footwork was his thing coming out of college (Simms would go on and on about it) but he has last that from his game. I am not sure he is better than when he came out of college

Cue the conspiracy theory accusers. But my theory is that in 2011 when Mangold went down and the OLine became a sieve Sanchez took a literal beating. With Mark Brunell as his primary backup Rex dearly needed to keep Sanchez in the games. Additionally Sanchez had taken a few big hits with his awkward combo style of slide/dive and I feel Rex and staff mandated him to not scramble and to dump the ball or eat a sack when necessary.

I've already seen a more mobile QB who rolls from the pocket under this OC so I don't it was necessary a physical thing. Having said that though I do think Sanchez played through injuries in 2011.
    Last edited by 56mehl56; 08-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it easier to believe that the Jets were MM's only option than I do that he was offered even a sniff of the HC job.