Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idzik on Goodson: "I expect to see him in a Jets uniform"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    The NFL isn't a social worker's charity. It's a business.

If he's not here, and/or doesn't produce on the field when he is here, he should be cut.
    Absolutely and that's why he hasn't been cut. It would have been very convenient - from a PR perspective - for the Jets to let him go as soon as he was arrested. But, bottom line, they still think they need him/could use him, so they'll keep him around because he will help them.

Also from a business perspective, if they cut him right away, they couldn't recoup any of his signing bonus if the charges proved to be legimitately serious. If they hang on to him and he pleads/is found guilty of a weapons charge, they can cut him and clawback some of the money already spent.

Besides, how much time does a RB need to catch up? A week of contact? He's not getting the ball 30x a game.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Cut off the nose to spite the face....an old saying.
    Is Goodson our nose?

Reward Powell for his good efforts thus far with playtime. Ivory is here, Bell is here. Bohannon is here.

Maybe keep McKnight and/or one of teh other Fullbacks.

Full stable of runners, let Goodson go.

Not saying it's advisable (I honestly don't know how good Goodson can be, I believe he's been hurt alot and is a career backup).

But it is possible, and I (for one) can see why some folks might feel it was the right decision to make as an organization in it's first year under a new GM.

It's the only aspect of 2013 that feels like the circus of 2012, honestly.

As long as he's not executing people at construction sites, I really don't care if he's in rehab for a little bit.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Is Goodson our nose?

Reward Powell for his good efforts thus far with playtime. Ivory is here, Bell is here. Bohannon is here.

Not saying it's advisable (I honestly don't know how good Goodson can be, I believe he's been hurt alot and is a career backup).

But it is possible, and I (for one) can see why some folks might feel it was the right decision to make as an organization in it's first year under a new GM.

If Goodson is the circus, its a pretty sucky circus. In this situation, I'll defer to the team. From what I've read (which is admittedly not the full and complete story), the weapons charges probably won't stick. If they decide to keep him, no problem with me. On the flip side, if they think what he did warrants being cut, no skin off my back.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Football has been rewarding criminals for years. Nothing new. Personally I'd love to see Idzik void the guy's contract. Simply as a message to the rest of the team.
    Send a message, Godfather? :roll*them*eyes:

Bewildered Beast
    Is Goodson our nose?

It's clear that you would be a mediocre GM; racing to apply various values at strategic times...you sound like Mangini.

No, that's not a compliment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Is Goodson our nose?

I never saw Goodson in a game but heard a lot about him. He is supposed to be very good. If he is better than Bell than I would keep Goodson based on his past football performance.

He went to a wedding and got drunk. Doesn't have a history of bad behavior. I think we should keep him even though he missed camp if he is the better RB. Now I saw Bell and he looked good but what about his blocking and rcv out of the backfield etc. I say the coaches know more than us. It's their call.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    In this situation, I'll defer to the team. From what I've read (which is admittedly not the full and complete story), the weapons charges probably won't stick. If they decide to keep him, no problem with me. On the flip side, if they think what he did warrants being cut, no skin off my back.
    Agreed, generally speaking. Trust in Idzik until the trust is no longer earned.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    It's clear that you would be a mediocre GM; racing to apply various values at strategic times...you sound like Mangini.

No, that's not a compliment.
    I'm ok with that criticism. I'd also be ok with Powell > Goodson anyway, so /shrug.

Bewildered Beast
    Agreed, generally speaking. Trust in Idzik until the trust is no longer earned.

I'm ok with that criticism. I'd also be ok with Powell > Goodson anyway, so /shrug.
    Well, you are from Missouri, so I understand your POV; and glad you stand behind (you are standing, right?) what you post.

Is Goodson our nose?

Hard to fault Goodson for being a career backup, considering his circumstances: he was drafted into Carolina behind two first round picks who played well enough to be lead backs when healthy (DeAngelo Williams and Jonathon Stewart), then got traded to Oakland where he was behind another elite RB (McFadden). It's the same circumstance Lamont Jordan and Michael Turner were in before FA - backups to elite starters.

And yeah, I picked those two for a reason. Both looked like they had incredible potential based on their small sample size as backups, but only one of them made it work as a lead back. So "career backup to an All-Pro" isn't a death sentence for a RB going into a second contract - but neither is "high potential back blocked by an All-Pro" a slam dunk star in the making.

Truthfully, of the two Jets RB additions this offseason, Ivory is the closer to a "career backup" - if only because the players he was backing up were nowhere near as good as the ones Goodson was.

In terms of how good Goodson is, his only experience as a starter came in 2010, during 3 weeks with both Williams and Stewart injured. He racked up 390 total yards those weeks, 275 on the ground, including rushing for 120 yards and 5.3 ypc against the Ravens.

Injury wise, he went on IR in 2011 (wk 10) with a hamstring injury, and missed 3 games with an ankle injury in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Just like the Fembots of JI to kick a man when he's down and at his lowest.

Some of you creepoids saying simply cut the man because he is supposedly in rehab are a$$holes. Would you act that way towards a family member who needs/needed help?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I never saw Goodson in a game but heard a lot about him. He is supposed to be very good. If he is better than Bell than I would keep Goodson based on his past football performance.

He went to a wedding and got drunk. Doesn't have a history of bad behavior. I think we should keep him even though he missed camp if he is the better RB. Now I saw Bell and he looked good but what about his blocking and rcv out of the backfield etc. I say the coaches know more than us. It's their call.
    I would like to know what the details are behind his whole top secret absence from camp so far before I finalize my opinion if he should be cut or not. Maybe he had some things in his life go a rye and went on a bender to forget about it, who knows at this point. Goodson the player could no doubt help this team, he is a great compliment to Ivory and with Powell, Ivory and Goodson the Jets would have a pretty solid RB unit. They would have guys who can bang between the tackles, guys who can catch the ball, and guys who can get around the edge. Huge upgrade from last season IMO.

Really? NFL rules or employment rules, because last I checked, being a drug addict is cause for termination at most places of employ....if they want that outcome.

Also, if he's in Rehab, why has there been no positive drug tests for him lately? NFL testing drop the ball?

Or is this "Rehab" like the San Diego Mayor's "Rehab". PR to make him and the Jets look better after the loldrama that was him, drunk and maybe high, passed out with a gun, in the middle of a highway?

/shrug

Forgive me, I have very little tolerence for this kind fo foolish distraction drama. This is not how you win titles.
    In RI and in Ma it is considered an illness and just like any other illness you can't be fired for it. Now the jets can cut him , but they won't get the SB Back

Goodson will be a lost roster spot week 1 IMO. I think we have to go with 4 RBs because of him alone. With Irory injury issues you need anther option. Powell with out a doubt makes this team and I dont think he fits the O at all. Will be interesting to see if we keep McKnight as insurance or go shopping in 2 weeks.