Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Jets former team Doctor trained in Mexico? Wtf?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744

    Jets former team Doctor trained in Mexico? Wtf?

    With NYC having some of the best doctors in the world, the Jets hired the guy who couldn't get into a US medical school?

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...liabue-patient

  2. #2
    He is talking about the same timeline where Cherbet had like 30 concussions and still kept making plays. A lot has changed sense Brady was a JET.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He is talking about the same timeline where Cherbet had like 30 concussions and still kept making plays. A lot has changed sense Brady was a JET.
    While I understand that times have changed with respect to the treatment of concussions, the medical school pecking order has not. Simply put, the people who can't get in US medical schools go to places like Mexico for training.

    I can't believe that the Jets hired a guy from Mexico.

  4. #4
    It's not unusual. A lot of American med students go overseas. The cost here is insane. Quite honestly American schools aren't anything special anymore, even the top schools are being watered down.

  5. #5
    SURPRISE!

    America is not the "great" country it used to be. It's simply a breeding ground for Prisoners and corrupt governments at this point.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    It's not unusual. A lot of American med students go overseas. The cost here is insane. Quite honestly American schools aren't anything special anymore, even the top schools are being watered down.
    Even if that is true now, it wasn't true when that guy got trained.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 08-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    It's not unusual. A lot of American med students go overseas. The cost here is insane. Quite honestly American schools aren't anything special anymore, even the top schools are being watered down.
    With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

    Kids go to Caribbean (Mexican) med schools because THEY CAN'T GET INTO A US MED SCHOOL. It has NOTHING to do about cost. Here's a question for you: If you had a nagging pain somewhere that wouldn't go away, would you go to a guy that went to a Caribbean Med School or someone who studied at Harvard, Penn or Columbia? You do the math dude.

    I have not idea why this guy got the opportunity to work for the Jets. The Jets orthopedists (Elliot Hershman and formerly Steven Nicholas) are two of the finest docs in America. Have no idea why they hired the Mexicano internist. I'll ask Woody the next time I see him.

  8. #8
    Obama's fault.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,773
    What's the pay for a team doctor, have any idea OP?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,972
    This is old news. He's a left over from when Hess owned the team, and was not hired by Woody. He was hired by the late Dr.Nicholas, who at one time had the final say on everything Jet related. Hess gave him way to much power, and it cost us in the draft missing out on all those great players.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 08-18-2013 at 10:26 PM.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    This is old news. He's a left over from when Hess owned the team, and was not hired by Woody. He was hired by the late Dr.Nicholas, who at one time had the final say on everything Jet related. Hess gave him way to much power, and it cost us in the draft missing out on all those great players.
    It's all Sanchez's and Rex's fault.

  12. #12

    The generalization doesn't apply to an individual doctor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    With NYC having some of the best doctors in the world, the Jets hired the guy who couldn't get into a US medical school?

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...liabue-patient
    The generalization doesn't apply to an individual doctor. On the whole, US students had better qualifications that Mexican/Caribbean educated doctors. But an individual Mexican educated doctor can have better qualifications than an individual US doctor. Also, the foreign educated doctors take the same tests for their license and usually spend the second half of their education studying in US hospitals.

  13. #13
    There's an old joke among medical students that a friend (Dr) used to say when he was in school....

    "What do you call a medical student who graduates with a D ?.......Doctor".

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,644
    "Did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    There's an old joke among medical students that a friend (Dr) used to say when he was in school....

    "What do you call a medical student who graduates with a D ?.......Doctor".
    The joke goes on with the guy with an F is called a dentist.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    With NYC having some of the best doctors in the world, the Jets hired the guy who couldn't get into a US medical school?

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/...liabue-patient
    His scores on the US medical board exams are more important than the medical school he went to. Some foreign medical school grads just flat out have more medical knowledge than a lot of US medical school grads..... and it shows in their board scores.

  17. #17
    I clicked on this thread and thought it would be about Michael Vick....

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,941
    Bring back Dr Nicholas.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,908
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bring back Dr Nicholas.
    Dr. Nicholas Van Helsing?

    Doctor of proctology and other related tendencies?

    Graduate of the University of Rangoon. And assorted night classes at the Knoxville Tennessee school of faith healing?

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    His scores on the US medical board exams are more important than the medical school he went to. Some foreign medical school grads just flat out have more medical knowledge than a lot of US medical school grads..... and it shows in their board scores.
    If you want to be treated by a guy who couldn't get in a US medical school, that is your call.

    When my sister graduated at the top of her class in college, she got into great medical schools (Ivy League). After medical school, she did her residency at a great hospital. If my children get sick, I want someone like her treating them. I don't want the guy who went to a Mexican medical school and did his residency at a 3rd tier hospital.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us