Thread: Final 53?

Final 53?

Halfway through the preseason is a good time to look at the potential final roster. Here's how I see it:

QB (3)
    Smith
    Sanchez
    McElroy

Not going out on any limbs here. Simms goes on the practice squad for another year.

RB (3)
    Ivory
    Powell
    Bell

Goodson goes on the Reserve-Non Football Illness list and is available after week 6

FB (1)

Tommy Bohannon

WR (6)
    Holmes
    Hill
    Kerley
    Gates
    Edwards
    Spadola

Spadola playing with the 1s in the first game, getting run in the second. He makes the team. With Holmes looking like he'd be available before 6 weeks in, the Jets don't put him on PUP. Gates is the primary return man

TE (3)
    Cumberland
    Winslow
    Reuland

Wish I could put Hayden Smith here - he's a good story - but right now he's fighting just to stay on the practice squad.

OL (9)
    Starters: Ferguson, Peterman, Mangold, Colon, Howard
    Backups: Winters, Ducasse, Schlauderaff, Aboushi

Ducasse is showing enough growth (finally) to save his job. Winters too injured to push Peterman, but he'll be starting by midseason. Dalton Freeman goes on IR; he's our long-term backup at center. Aboushi is the swing tackle, but with Colon having history at RT and our depth at guard (wow, feels weird to say that), it may take 2 injuries to get him on the field.

Total Offense: 25

Defensive Line (6)
    Wilkerson
    Richardson
    Ellis
    Harrison
    Garay
    Douzable

LB (9)
    Coples
    Pace
    Barnes
    McIntyre
    Sapp
    Harris
    D. Davis
    Lansanah
    J. Smith

The biggest beneficiaries of Coples' injury are Douzable and Sapp. If Coples were healthy, they'd be on the roster bubble. Injured, the Jets need to add DL and pass-rushing depth. Lansanah and Smith take Bellore's and Mauga's spots as ILB backups - faster, cheaper, and with more potential.

CB (6)
    Cromartie
    Miliner
    Wilson
    Walls
    Lankster
    Trufant

S (4)
    Jarrett
    Landry
    Bush
    Allen

Wilson's ability to play CB or S comes into play here, as does the need to carry more players at LB and DL because of the Coples injury. Some promising DB depth players end up fighting for PS space

Total D (25)

ST (3)
    P Malone
    K Folk
    LS Purdum

Practice Squad
    Matt Simms (will be the No. 3 QB in 2014)
    Moisis Madu (going with only 3 RBs, we need bodies for practice and in case of injury)
    Hayden Smith (gets 1 more year to pull it all together)
    Zach Rogers (showed enough to land a spot as the developmental WR on the PS)
    JB Shugarts (they like him as a developmental tackle)
    Lanier Coleman (good story, big body needed with Ellis potentially injury prone)
    Mike Edwards
    Rontez Miles (That quality DB depth I mentioned above)

Only 1 WR and RB on the PS since they've stashed Hazelton and Griffen on IR (meaning they have additional developmental prospects at those positions under their control for next season). Toughest cuts: Bellore and Mauga (know the system), Pantale (he's been playing well), Titus Ryan (pushing Rogers for the PS spot), Cook (better backup C than Schlauderaff, but not as versatile), Will Campbell (hate to give up on a draft pick but he's shown nothing as a conversion project)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think you have to swap one of those LB's for a RB. I can't imagine just three runners unless they think Bohannon can actually get a few carries.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

@CLoprestiWFANBrian Winters rotating in with 1st team at LG. #NYJ

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Here's how I see it:
    Pretty spot on IMO.

I'm a little less sure on the D side of the ball (specificly the depth guys at LB and DL), but on O I think you've nailed it to a T.

It's not a bad team. It's not a talentless team either.

It should compete. Should be solid on D. Should be able to productive on O, barring turnovers....always the turnovers.

I could see this roster winning 8 games, very realistic IMO.

Hopes of worst-in-NFL records and #1 overall draft picks, I think, are a bit of fantasy.

Hall Of Fame
    I really think only carrying 2 QBs is the way to go this year. Stash Simms on the practice squad so it frees up another spot on the 53 man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bohannon
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I think you have to swap one of those LB's for a RB. I can't imagine just three runners unless they think Bohannon can actually get a few carries.

Bohannon is a beast and has some elusiveness. He is capable of carrying the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

I just don't see anyone else on the current roster taking that spot. When Goodson comes back, there'd be 4, and there's always the possibility of adding a cut from another roster - but there isn't anyone on the roster I'd keep over the guys I listed. And yes, that includes McKnight. He's just not a running back.

Hall Of Fame

Final 53?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't think the Jets risk putting Spadola on the PS so we will role with 6.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I really think only carrying 2 QBs is the way to go this year. Stash Simms on the practice squad so it frees up another spot on the 53 man.
    Actually I wouldn't be shocked if they had 4 QBs on the roster, but definitely 3. Sanchez is not a Jet next year. You can't start the offeseaon with 1 QB on your roster

I think Bellore's special teams prowess saves him, and I think Campbell makes the PS. Other than that, pretty sound list.

Solid list, but to throw in an interesting tidbit...

Madu is ineligible for the PS...He played 9 games on the active roster for the Bucs in 2011 after Earnest Graham went down. I find it interesting they would bring him in knowing this, unless they think he has a legitimate shot at making the team. He was in the Wildcat early with Powell, who kept on a couple of handoffs, had 2nd most yards rushing in the last game and Rex even spoke about him postgame. Everyone is talking up Bell, who got the glory for 2 TDs, but in reality only had a little over 2 YPC. Watch out for Madu!

I'm biased just a little being from OK

In all honesty, I see Goodson joining soon or McKnight coming through in the last 2 games, therefore taking up a spot and Bell and Madu getting let go, along with Spann (who Madu beat out in Tampa).

Bellore is making this team. Guaranteed. To valuable on special teams.