Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pettine's "D" at Buffalo looks hella nasty........

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Pettine's "D" at Buffalo looks hella nasty........

Just watched the NFL network replay of the Buffalo, Minnesota game and Pettine's defense was very very aggressive and equally impressive (first team). It reminded me of Rex's first two years here. It really has me wondering just how much imput he had on the calls and game planning for us. If Pettine's "D" blows up this year in Buffalo, it's gonna really look bad on Rex unless our "D" blows up as well. I'm not sure our "D" will be blowing anything up this year......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Just watched the NFL network replay of the Buffalo, Minnesota game and Pettine's defense was very very aggressive and equally impressive (first team). It reminded me of Rex's first two years here. It really has me wondering just how much imput he had on the calls and game planning for us. If Pettine's "D" blows up this year in Buffalo, it's gonna really look bad on Rex unless our "D" blows up as well. I'm not sure our "D" will be blowing anything up this year......
    Buffallo has the talent on D, just bad coaching for the last few years. Our d doesn't look good because we have horrible lbs, and safteys. We also have a nice dline, which is not that important for a 3-4 defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we should definitely begin to marginalize Rex's ability as a defensive coordinator based on 1 pre-season game by the Bills against Christian Ponder and an A-Pete-less Vikings offense. I mean the Bills did hold the dynamic Joe Banyard to just 47 yards on 7 carries.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yes, we should definitely begin to marginalize Rex's ability as a defensive coordinator based on 1 pre-season game by the Bills against Christian Ponder and an A-Pete-less Vikings offense. I mean the Bills did hold the dynamic Joe Banyard to just 47 yards on 7 carries.
    lol @ Rex Ryan apologists in 2013

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams that usually look good on one side of the ball in preseason is b/c on defense they either blitz like crazy and teams aren't ready for it (Bills) or on offense they run the no huddle like the Jaguars did against us. Preseason means nothing team wise.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    lol @ Rex Ryan apologists in 2013
    LOL at people that can't distinguish between defending Rex as a defensive mind and his ability as a head coach

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Teams that usually look good on one side of the ball in preseason is b/c on defense they either blitz like crazy and teams aren't ready for it (Bills) or on offense they run the no huddle like the Jaguars did against us. Preseason means nothing team wise.
    +1

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on high draft picks and the fact that over the past 4 years the defense has allowed more points during each successive season. Has nothing to do with one pre-season game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get back to me when the real games start

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL at people that can't distinguish between defending Rex as a defensive mind and his ability as a head coach
    I love it when clowns throw out the "apologist" label.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Get back to me when the real games start
    No problem Woody, see ya when the season starts.......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets D with Revis, Cro and Wilson was beat suited playing coverage in Pettine's eyes. Buffalo is a different situation.
    Gotta play to your strengths, Jets had little pass rush to speak of, so they played coverage
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 08-19-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Clowney and Brett Ratliffe say hello.

Pettine was a High school coach when Rex was putting top 5 defensive units out on NFL fields yearly, please stop the stupidity in this place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The league will catch up. Just like they caught up to Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The league will catch up. Just like they caught up to Rex.
    Just like:
    Jerry Glanville and The Grits Blitz
    Buddy Ryan and the '46

As for Buffalo, their problem is at QB again as Manuel has gone down with an injury and they will be forced to start Kevin Kobb.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 08-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think buffalo has the talent on D, and now the coaching to have a top 5--10 defense. This is not a knock on Ryan, actually it's a compliment. It's nice to see coaches springing from the "ryan" tree, ala parcells. Ryan taught Pettine everything he knows.

If EJ Manuel can keep it up, the Bills can be a factor in the AFC east. Though watching the games, Manuel seemed to struggle mightily versus the blitz; so the book is still out on him. Let's hope it's Geno over Manuel (those two may turn into a nice rivalry in the years to come ala O'Brien Marino.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by child please View Post

Pettine was a High school coach when Rex was putting top 5 defensive units out on NFL fields yearly, please stop the stupidity in this place.
    Child please

I couldn't help myself,sorry. I agree that Rex is king; guaranteed we'll have a good D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...after watching 1 preseason game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    man I remember when Buffalo was 4-1 or 5-1 whatever they were 2 years ago. They beat NE and there were some people here talking about Buffalo surpassing us in the AFC east. I was trying to calm people down back then like "relax man let the season play out" ... here we got a guy talking about Pettine's defense looking aggressive in a pre season game and possibly making Rex look bad based on one pre season game lol ... Everyone pretty much has admitted Rex made most of the calls in his first 2 years so why are you even trying to suggest anything different went down??

I won't be surprised if Buffalo is 1-4 and their defense is ranked 27th or higher a few weeks into the season. Mike's a great coach and he'll help a bit but I'm not 100% on how great of a motivator he is. X's and O's is one thing but there are a lot of underachievers and just overpayed guys over there who need to be coached up. So much remains to be seen ... Pettine has talent there but he's going to have his hands full. There's more to defensive coaching than X's and O's and lets see how he game plans an NFL game without having Rex there for the first time in his life. A lot of teams had questions about Pettine because of this and its not like Buffalo is known to make the best of these decisions. Pettine always had Rex here to bite the bullet for him if he made a mistake ... lets see how things work when the finger is pointed at him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by child please View Post

You should be careful not to replace seniority with brilliance.