Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: After Watching The JAC Tape ...

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,665

    After Watching The JAC Tape ...

    Here's what I saw


    Good

    - OLine pass & run blocking

    - Running game

    - OC and offensive staff. Good to see things that were poor last week improved this week
    (rushing offense). You saw more examples of Mornhinweg's ability to scheme players open
    with his shifts and misdirections. Particularly on Cumberland's TD you saw the effect
    of misdirection. Sanchez faked a hand off to the left moved to the right and then ended
    up throwing back to the left to Cumberland who was wide open. The angle of the replay
    showed JAC defense "following" Sanchez until somebody screwed up their coverage allowing
    Cumberland to shake free

    - Bilal Powell

    - Matt Simms (major NFL arm talent)

    - Special teams (Gates was so good maybe we can cut McKnight and use his spot for someone
    else)

    - Reduction of penalties

    - Hopefully Coples will be back quickly because he was the only player from the #1 defense
    who flashed. In the first half he had four "splash" plays:
    * Got in the backfield and disrupted an MJD run
    * Flushed Gabbert out of the pocket and caused an incompletion
    * Got in the backfield and disrupted a reverse by Sanders
    * Almost had the strip sack where he got hurt

    - Danny Lansanah with the INT. With Mauga missing and Bellore being stiff he could make it

    - Ellis Lankster & Darrin Walls


    Bad

    - Defensive staff and the #1 defense. Unprepared for the hurry up offense and fatigue
    quickly set in which affected everything

    - Tackling was pathetic

    - Milliner needs to start checking WR's in the 5 yard area. He let every WR free release
    off the line and if you do that you're asking for trouble

    - We missed Kenrick Ellis because Damon Harrison got pushed around at NT


    Sanchez

    He reminds me of Wile E. Coyote the cartoon character who chased the Roadrunner. For those
    who never saw the cartoon, Wile E. Coyote would always create these elaborate plans to catch
    the Roadrunner. But his own "stupidity" would always cause his plans to "blow up" in his
    face. Let's take a look:

    - His first two drives were on point. He made one mistake where he threw behind Hill on
    third down and we had to settle for a FG

    - Then on his third drive he's moving the team well and he even shows good awareness
    (finally) by throwing the screen pass away. But then he "blows up" his good performance
    with that ridiculous INT. He has a chip shot FG in his pocket but as usual he forces a
    bad pass and takes points off the board. If it was the last play of the game and we were
    down by 4 you make that pass, not when you're in the 2nd quarter

    - Before that INT he was 6-8 after the INT he went 7-15. Its like he made himself cold
    after his mistake

    - There's just no excuse for the final drive of the first half. With six seconds left
    and no timeouts you can only do three things, snap the ball, catch the ball and throw it
    to a WR or out of the end zone. YOU CAN'T scramble and let the clock run out!!! What
    made the play even worse was just before the play we were called for a penalty and as the
    refs were talking he had time to go to the sidelines and talk to Mornhinweg. And he STILL
    didn't execute properly


    I just don't know what to say about Sanchez, he was on the verge of wrapping up the starting
    spot and he just gave it away. And all he had to do was manage two fairly basic situations
    that a fifth year QB should handle in his sleep
    Last edited by KRL; 08-18-2013 at 01:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Powell won the starting job last night. Ivory is overrated he got alot of yards after contract in New Orleans because teams were always in the dime facing Brees. Sanchez was Sanchez. His worst play of the night was actually not even a turnover or clock mismanagement it was missing Clyd Gates wide open directly in front of him in the endzone. I really hope Geno starts next week against the Giants and Simms plays the entire second half.

    Time to move on.

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    986
    I love u KRL. Your expert analysis of our team is the highlight of JI and I always look forward to reading your posts.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,218
    Just like the Cortland reports. I hope you do this for every game.

    I hope Milliner reads your reports and starts getting on the WR in 5 yd area. He gave up a ton of catches. Revis was very good at this.

  5. #5
    Great break down. Awesome work keep it up.

    The thing that has always gotten me about Mark is he seems to play favorites with his options. Keeps going to the same guys when he gets in trouble even if someone is wide open. He did it with Keller his 1st two years. Holmes 2 years ago now Hill. A good QB doesnt ignore open options because of who they are. I'm tired of seeing guys open deep and Mark opting to make the 5 year screen because he has no faith in his WRs. That is not how the QB position is played. Good or bad he has to put the play up and give it a chance to work.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Powell won the starting job last night. Ivory is overrated he got alot of yards after contract in New Orleans because teams were always in the dime facing Brees. Sanchez was Sanchez. His worst play of the night was actually not even a turnover or clock mismanagement it was missing Clyd Gates wide open directly in front of him in the endzone. I really hope Geno starts next week against the Giants and Simms plays the entire second half.

    Time to move on.
    You are an unbelievable judge of talent. Most professionals would need more than 6 carries after a week of practice to decide on a player.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,305
    Good wrap up.

    Sanchez absolutely stunk it up after that interception. And that's just Sanchez for ya, one bad play and he just implodes. This guy is a 5th year veteran and still makes mistakes like a friggin rookie. That sequence after we got the ball back with 20 seconds left was almost predictable. You just knew that someway, somehow Sanchez was going to screw up and we weren't going to get a touchdown, let alone a field goal. It's going to be a long season if he continues as our starter.

    I don't know about you guys, but I just can't bare it any longer. Sitting on the edge of my seat biting my nails just knowing that Sanchez could make a mistake at any moment. And this is only preseason.

    Give me Geno or give me death.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Here's what I saw


    Good

    - OLine pass & run blocking

    - Running game

    - OC and offensive staff. Good to see things that were poor last week improved this week
    (rushing offense). You saw more examples of Mornhinweg's ability to scheme players open
    with his shifts and misdirections. Particularly on Cumberland's TD you saw the effect
    of misdirection. Sanchez faked a hand off to the left moved to the right and then ended
    up throwing back to the left to Cumberland who was wide open. The angle of the replay
    showed JAC defense "following" Sanchez until somebody screwed up their coverage allowing
    Cumberland to shake free

    - Bilal Powell

    - Matt Simms (major NFL arm talent)

    - Special teams (Gates was so good maybe we can cut McKnight and use his spot for someone
    else)

    - Reduction of penalties

    - Hopefully Coples will be back quickly because he was the only player from the #1 defense
    who flashed. In the first half he had four "splash" plays:
    * Got in the backfield and disrupted an MJD run
    * Flushed Gabbert out of the pocket and caused an incompletion
    * Got in the backfield and disrupted a reverse by Sanders
    * Almost had the strip sack where he got hurt

    - Danny Lansanah with the INT. With Mauga missing and Bellore being stiff he could make it

    - Ellis Lankster & Darrin Walls


    Bad

    - Defensive staff and the #1 defense. Unprepared for the hurry up offense and fatigue
    quickly set in which affected everything

    - Tackling was pathetic

    - Milliner needs to start checking WR's in the 5 yard area. He let every WR free release
    off the line and if you do that you're asking for trouble

    - We missed Kenrick Ellis because Damon Harrison got pushed around at NT


    Sanchez

    He reminds me of Wile E. Coyote the cartoon character who chased the Roadrunner. For those
    who never saw the cartoon, Wile E. Coyote would always create these elaborate plans to catch
    the Roadrunner. But his own "stupidity" would always cause his plans to "blow up" in his
    face. Let's take a look:

    - His first two drives were on point. He made one mistake where he threw behind Hill on
    third down and we had to settle for a FG

    - Then on his third drive he's moving the team well and he even shows good awareness
    (finally) by throwing the screen pass away. But then he "blows up" his good performance
    with that ridiculous INT. He has a chip shot FG in his pocket but as usual he forces a
    bad pass and takes points off the board. If it was the last play of the game and we were
    down by 4 you make that pass, not when you're in the 2nd quarter

    - Before that INT he was 6-8 after the INT he went 7-15. Its like he made himself cold
    after his mistake

    - There's just no excuse for the final drive of the first half. With six seconds left
    and no timeouts you can only do three things, snap the ball, catch the ball and throw it
    to a WR or out of the end zone. YOU CAN'T scramble and let the clock run out!!! What
    made the play even worse was just before the play we were called for a penalty and as the
    refs were talking he had time to go to the sidelines and talk to Mornhinweg. And he STILL
    didn't execute properly


    I just don't know what to say about Sanchez, he was on the verge of wrapping up the starting
    spot and he just gave it away. And all he had to do was manage two fairly basic situations
    that a fifth year QB should handle in his sleep
    Good post, fair, though I think Sanchez, once again, is getting too much flak. BUT, I agree with many of the points you made.

    The end of the first half, off of the fumble recovery, is just inexcusable. I can defend Sanchez, but not for that, he needs to make better decisions, there were several, he tried to hard to make plays without throwing the ball, I felt he held himself back on a play where had he not gave up and tried to run, he would have had Gates in the back of the EZ for a TD, I can see he's battling himself, to improve on what he's done wrong in the past, but is still not doing the right thing, rushing plays, and not letting them develop, or not rushing plays, not making quick decisions.

    The play where he tucks and runs, he should have extended that just a bit more, for the TD to Gates, he's got t see there is one defender, having to decide on the RB/FB (think it was Bohanon in the flat, and then Gates running a round in the back of the EZ. Then on the final play with 6 secs left, he's got to make a quick decision, see what the defense is giving him, after snap, and see that he has nothing, throw the ball into the ground and have MM give him another play to call, change things up. That series of plays bothered me the most, that and the INT on a bad decision.

    But aside from the end of the 2nd half, and the INT, Sanchez played some of his best ball. It is really a tale of multiple ups, and some downs, the ups were good, and the several downs were bad.

    But taking a step back, understanding that this is the pre-season, a new offense, still working with new players and without key players in Holmes, and not playing with Edwards until the 2nd half, I thought Sanchez overall was pretty good. I realize fans will over dissect the bad plays, but we really should be evaluating the ENTIRE performance, understand that this is pre-season, the team as a whole are working through kinks, timing, and synergy of a new offense.

    Geno DOES deserve HIS shot next week, no question, but he really has to play well, and very well to win the job, otherwise, let him learn, I still think, as of RIGHT now, Sanchez has done enough, and has shown progress to win the job, he's shown flashes of being able to bounce back, despite the negative plays, let's see how he progresses through these lapses under MM and Lee, that is the key, fans won't acknowledge this, especially the Sanchez haters, but I do think Sanchez made positive steps overall, despite the few lapses.

    The key here again, how does Sanchez respond to MM and Lee coaching him through these mistakes, on tape, seeing what Sanchez did wrong and how MM and Lee make their corrections, and how Sanchez responds to those corrections and how he can progress from them under MM and Lee.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You are an unbelievable judge of talent. Most professionals would need more than 6 carries after a week of practice to decide on a player.
    Ivory is so overrated by the media and Jets fans. Yeah he averaged 6.0 ypc against defenses that were always in dime or preven. How often is that going to happen with Suckchez?

  10. #10
    As bad as the defense looked, the main takeaway was your comment about millner and frankly it is a legit issue as it was mentioned a LOT in the pre-draft. Alabama doesnt play bump and run so even when they are in man, their CBs play 5-10 yards off the receiver, so he has very limited experience jamming or backpedaling. Now the kid is in the top .00001% of athletes in the world so he should be able to pick up the technique (and if last night wasnt a wake up call, not sure what would be) but it might not happen overnight. I also was very disappointed that he missed a few tackles, as run support is one of his strong suits. Hopefully it was just him getting acclimated to the NFL.

    Im a big fan of powell and have no clue why he is ripped for below average speed, when there are many more important parts to being a good RB. He hits the hole hard and can move laterally, so 10-30 yard runs are definitely in his wheelhouse. As for Ivory, I am more than fine if he is a 12-15 carry guy, with powell handling the same workload. Ivory also hits the hole hard and should be able to pick up yardage, especially running right.

    Harris is a real frustrating player to watch...coples did a great job a couple times to force plays back inside only to have harris miss the tackle and give up a huge run. Its insane to even discuss replacing him (in the lineup not on the team) as we have so few veterans out there, but he is tough to have out there vs spread offenses.

    Anyone know how bad winters is hurt or (and this is tougher) but what about dalton freeman? Oline depth is important for us and id love to see winters starting and freeman make the team as the last olineman and backup center. Also, I didnt hear Oday's name called, which for a lineman is usually a good thing, but I didnt watch him specifically so im not sure how he did in game 2.

    The only thing I will say about sanchez, since the errors have been beaten to death, is that last night is as good as it will EVER get for him, and he was still mediocre. The line was excellent in pass pro last night, he had a clean pocket and a stellar running game - and yet still made game altering mistakes. Id say we all need to "pray" but its actually not that far fetched, for Geno to get a solid week of practice in and play well enough in 2-3 quarters vs the Giants to win the job.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    How exactly can you tell that Ivory is over rated? They held him back big time last night, he had what, 6 carries? We really have no clue what he can do, nor will we until the RS begins so lets get a grip.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    As bad as the defense looked, the main takeaway was your comment about millner and frankly it is a legit issue as it was mentioned a LOT in the pre-draft. Alabama doesnt play bump and run so even when they are in man, their CBs play 5-10 yards off the receiver, so he has very limited experience jamming or backpedaling. Now the kid is in the top .00001% of athletes in the world so he should be able to pick up the technique (and if last night wasnt a wake up call, not sure what would be) but it might not happen overnight. I also was very disappointed that he missed a few tackles, as run support is one of his strong suits. Hopefully it was just him getting acclimated to the NFL.

    Im a big fan of powell and have no clue why he is ripped for below average speed, when there are many more important parts to being a good RB. He hits the hole hard and can move laterally, so 10-30 yard runs are definitely in his wheelhouse. As for Ivory, I am more than fine if he is a 12-15 carry guy, with powell handling the same workload. Ivory also hits the hole hard and should be able to pick up yardage, especially running right.

    Harris is a real frustrating player to watch...coples did a great job a couple times to force plays back inside only to have harris miss the tackle and give up a huge run. Its insane to even discuss replacing him (in the lineup not on the team) as we have so few veterans out there, but he is tough to have out there vs spread offenses.

    Anyone know how bad winters is hurt or (and this is tougher) but what about dalton freeman? Oline depth is important for us and id love to see winters starting and freeman make the team as the last olineman and backup center. Also, I didnt hear Oday's name called, which for a lineman is usually a good thing, but I didnt watch him specifically so im not sure how he did in game 2.

    The only thing I will say about sanchez, since the errors have been beaten to death, is that last night is as good as it will EVER get for him, and he was still mediocre. The line was excellent in pass pro last night, he had a clean pocket and a stellar running game - and yet still made game altering mistakes. Id say we all need to "pray" but its actually not that far fetched, for Geno to get a solid week of practice in and play well enough in 2-3 quarters vs the Giants to win the job.
    Sanchez missed a wide open Clyde Gates right in front of him in the endzone. The guy is what he is time to move on and go with the kids (Geno, Simms) they cannot be worse. Tim Tebow and McElroy absolutely are both far worse than Mark Sanchez but we don't know about Geno and Matt Simms.

    The Jets have got to sign Kerry Rhodes and maybe even another Safety or Nickelback. Milliner is learning he will eventually be great but even Revis got burnt as a rook. Kyle Wilson is a lousy bust of a pick and our Safeties are so bad they actually make me miss the garbage like Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard. Eric Smith never met a tight end who didn't love smoking him like a fine cigar. A lot of NFL Tight Ends and RB's are going to get rich off facing Antonio Allen and Jarrett.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

    He reminds me of Wile E. Coyote the cartoon character who chased the Roadrunner. For those
    who never saw the cartoon, Wile E. Coyote would always create these elaborate plans to catch
    the Roadrunner.
    Beep. Beep.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,510
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Powell won the starting job last night. Ivory is overrated he got alot of yards after contract in New Orleans because teams were always in the dime facing Brees. Sanchez was Sanchez. His worst play of the night was actually not even a turnover or clock mismanagement it was missing Clyd Gates wide open directly in front of him in the endzone. I really hope Geno starts next week against the Giants and Simms plays the entire second half.

    Time to move on.
    Move on to who exactly?? Goodson is M.I.A., McKnight has a concussion and head issues, Griffen is done for the year, who exactly would you like throw Ivory to the street for??

  16. #16
    Sanchez is shot mentally. He's damned if he does & damned if he doesn't. He's shell shocked & the perfect example was the scramble where he only needed to move a little more laterally & keep his head up & Gates was wide open.
    But, & this is a huge but, he is thinking WAY too much. He's thinking about protecting the ball, protecting his job, protecting his feelings from outraged fans.....he is cooked!
    As soon as he threw that pick he went completely downhill!
    Versus BACKUPS!
    Idzik has to see this right? I mean it so what if Geno takes his lumps at this point when his ankle heels. Something else can happen to Geno also, just maybe the line keeps him clean like Sanchez last night & he starts hitting WRs in stride & gets a jolt of confidence, not only for himself but the team gets a jolt of confidence that this team actually has a future!
    There is no one on this squad that truly in their heart of hearts that believes that Mark Sanchez has a future in this town! My god, Kyle freaking Orton is better than Sanchez & he's played on like 5 teams in the last 6 years.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,824
    Can't say I agree with praising the run blocking/running game.

    Take away Powell's 37 yarder and we were stuffed most of the night by a bad defense.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Ivory is so overrated by the media and Jets fans. Yeah he averaged 6.0 ypc against defenses that were always in dime or preven. How often is that going to happen with Suckchez?
    Repeating the same thing doesn't make it any more true. Go look at some of his tape, from NO..... he was not always facing "dime" and "prevent"--- he rarely did, actually. Teams KNEW it was a run play, when Ivory was in the game...... sorta like teams KNEW it was a run, when Tebow was in the game..... no need to worry about the pass, just because he CAN throw. Ivory faced 8 men in the box, on some of his best runs. Look at his tape, don't assume what he faced, just because he was on a team with Brees.

  19. #19
    For the life of me I don't understand this prevailing thought that if Sanchez played well in a preseason game than he "wrapped up" the competition. How do you win a competition without the competitor getting any chance? Sanchez has played in 68 real NFL games doing well in the same preseason that makes Gabbert look like Marino mean jack **** I don't care anymore if Sanchez is given the starting job. (noticed I said given not won) Even if he starts it will be only a matter of time before he gets booed out of the stadium. He cant avoid turnovers even in the preseason. Now imagine how many turnovers he will have running Marty's throwing based offense in real games. LMAO

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,218
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    How exactly can you tell that Ivory is over rated? They held him back big time last night, he had what, 6 carries? We really have no clue what he can do, nor will we until the RS begins so lets get a grip.
    There were a few times he got 5 yds when nothing was there. He fights and twists and is strong and quick. This guy will make a big difference in our O if he stay healthy. With him in the game the play action becomes a weapon.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us