Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best of the Best, 1970's Rock/Hard Rock Bands?

Best of the Best, 1970's Rock/Hard Rock Bands?

So I'm mid stream uploading a metric butload of cd's to my iTunes I never bother to do, including a bunch of 70's rock.

And it got me thinking, what were the best 1970's rock bands in you gents view? In an era great for rock, what are your favorites.

Obvious, Floyd and Zepplin.

Who else would you say was 70's Hard Rock Essentials for the music fan?

Banned
    My favorite RUSH

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So I'm mid stream uploading a metric butload of cd's to my iTunes I never bother to do, including a bunch of 70's rock.

And it got me thinking, what were the best 1970's rock bands in you gents view? In an era great for rock, what are your favorites.

Obvious, Floyd and Zepplin.

Who else would you say was 70's Hard Rock Essentials for the music fan?
    Ten Years After, Bowie, T Rex, U Heep, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, Tull, Status Quo, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls, VU/L Reed, CCR, Mott, Humble Pie,Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Free, Bad Company, Frampton, MC5, Traffic, Roxy, Beck, Clapton, Allmans, Yes, Kiss, Iggy, Doors, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Montrose,Stones, Who, R. Stewart/Faces, The Dead, E. John, Kansas, Argent, Queen, ELO, J. Geils, Spooky Tooth, Skynyrd, S. Miller, N. Young/Crazy Horse,B. Marley
    mid decade: Thin Lizzy, Bruce S., Heart, Boston, Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Judas Priest, BTO, Rush,
    AC/DC, revived Kinks, Tubes, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Nugent, Asia, Fripp, Eno, I Hunter, Lemmy/Motorhead, Dire Straits

would not in general consider stuff like Kraut Rock (Neu, Can et al ), PFM, Kraftwerk, Renaissance, Fairport, Strawbs, YMO hard rock per se
    stuff like Marshall Tucker, America, early Bruce S., Dylan, Journey, REO , B Scaggs, Slade, Steely Dan, Guess Who, Wings even Devo all could rock out at times

Punk/Post-Punk: Ramones, Clash, Jam, Cars, Only Ones, Pretenders, Police, E. Costello, N. Lowe/D. Edmunds

of these selections I could pick one LP from each that is my favorite and someone else would have another pick they insist is better - in retrospect thats how spoiled for choice we were
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-21-2013 at 12:08 AM.

All Pro
    Jungle pretty well has it covered....He has Montrose, but I would include early Sammy Hagar stuff as well. Frank Zappa. Can't think of anything off the top of my head at the moment

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Jungle pretty well has it covered....He has Montrose, but I would include early Sammy Hagar stuff as well. Frank Zappa. Can't think of anything off the top of my head at the moment
    I left Dan Hill, April Wine, 5 Man Electrical Band, and Lords of London off, regrets...
    although for reals, I was a big fan of the Big 8 CKLW (at night it came in clear to NYC)

also Leon Russell, Eric Burdon/War, Santana, I always liked Steppenwolf (another Canadian band who evolved from the Sparrows)
    some poppier bands tried to get heavy at times- Tommy James, 3 Dog Night, Chicago, BST
    pre 1970 you had the almost forgotten today Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge creating turgid hard rock
    dont forget Mountain, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac (pre revival), Bob welch, The Band, Byrds, Foghat, Savoy Brown, G. Harrison, Lennon/Ono band, Joe Walsh & Eagles
    as a kid I liked Frijid Pink's version of House Of The Rising Sun
    also Brit veterans Ashton Gardner & Dyke Resurrection Shuffle
    Badfinger, Wizzard...not sure if hard rock.
    The pub rock brigade (Brinsley Schwarz, Motors, Dr Feelgood etc...not sure) Bram Tchaikovsky, The Records post-pub rock had a rollicking attack.
    The Sweet at times. (Action, Ballroom Blitz)
    The Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks of course.
    Eddie & The Hot Rods Do Anything You Wanna Do.
    Talking Heads Pulled Up, Psycho Killer.
    The Saints - Im Stranded. Like the Ramones playing in "a cave lined with aluminium foil"
    The Adverts - Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes.
    The Rezillos/Revillos from Scotland merging 60s pop with punk. Baby Does Good Sculptures, Rev Up.
    Also from Scotland the Skids who became Big Country, skirling guitars all the way.
    The post Buzzcocks Magazine with Shot By Both Sides, Because Youre Frightened.
    The Fast Product, Rough Trade groups, XTC, Wire, Banshees, Cure pushing the envelope all prior to 1980.
    Could never get into the Stranglers too much through they were a heavy mob.
    Others loved Television and R. Hell.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-21-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Jungle came up with quite the definitive list there. I'll add Jefferson Airplane and Derek and the Dominos (and Cream pre-70s)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jungle crushed it...I'd throw in some more southern rock, the outlaws, Elvin Bishop, and Charlie Daniels come to mind. Also Dave Mason solo work ( live album is great). BTW not hard rock but no 70's compilation is complete without a dose of Sly.

Was BTO mentioned or the guess who?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Hall Of Fame
    I was into Southern rock then, including Molly Hatchett, CDB, Outlaws, etc. Aerosmith should be on the list; maybe Foreigner. And Boston.

On a related note: one of my favorite t-shirts was a Skynyrd with the Stars and Bars. Prolly couldn't wear that today...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Was BTO mentioned or the guess who?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
    Yes. I could also include Edgar/Johnny Winter, Gen X/B Idol, PiL, Hot Tuna, T. Petty, perhaps the Kiss/Aerosmith wanna bes Angel, Starz who
    evolved from Looking Glass (Brandy) New Riders, Flying Burrito Bros., Sugarloaf, Marky Ramone's Dust, Stories, Twisted Sister,
    post Dolls J. Thunders /Heartbreakers, J. Cale, JJ Cale, dont want to forget Blondie, P. Smith, Meat Loaf, P Gabriel solo,, .38 Special,
    even the Hollies with their CCR influenced Long Cool Woman
    BST/Chicago like Ides of March "Vehicle" which became Survivor, Eddie Money, P Benatar of course Joe Cocker,
    G Numan and Squeeze not hard rock per se
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.

All Pro
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I was into Southern rock then, including Molly Hatchett, CDB, Outlaws, etc. Aerosmith should be on the list; maybe Foreigner. And Boston.

On a related note: one of my favorite t-shirts was a Skynyrd with the Stars and Bars. Prolly couldn't wear that today...
    Aerosmith, foriegner, Boston, skynyrd all there. Mentioned Marshall Tucker Didnt mention Rossington-Collins or 38 Special..or Wet Willie (whose hit sounded like Van Morrison) or Black Oak Arkansas or Sea Level or Delaney & Bonnie or Pure Prairie League

nor the 70s Manfred Mann, Climax Blues Band, and a host of other 60s successor groups like Patto, Boxer, Ellis, Jigsaw, Marmalade
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, Rush, AC/DC, CCR, Boston, Bad Company, Foreigner, etc.

Really too many good ones to name.

1 Led Zeppelin ('nuff said)
    2 Pink Floyd ('nuff said)
    3 Aerosmith (Dream On through Rocks) rest is crap
    4 Black Sabbath
    5 Van Halen (Changed Rock)
    6 Queen
    7 Bad Company
    8 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    9 ZZ Top
    10 Fogat

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Ten Years After, Bowie, T Rex, U Heep, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, Tull, Status Quo, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls, VU/L Reed, CCR, Mott, Humble Pie,Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Free, Bad Company, Frampton, MC5, Traffic, Roxy, Beck, Clapton, Allmans, Yes, Kiss, Iggy, Doors, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Montrose,Stones, Who, R. Stewart/Faces, The Dead, E. John, Kansas, Argent, Queen, ELO, J. Geils, Spooky Tooth, Skynyrd, S. Miller, N. Young/Crazy Horse,B. Marley
    mid decade: Thin Lizzy, Bruce S., Heart, Boston, Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Judas Priest, BTO, Rush,
    AC/DC, revived Kinks, Tubes, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Nugent, Asia, Fripp, Eno, I Hunter, Lemmy/Motorhead, Dire Straits

would not in general consider stuff like Kraut Rock (Neu, Can et al ), PFM, Kraftwerk, Renaissance, Fairport, Strawbs, YMO hard rock per se
    stuff like Marshall Tucker, America, early Bruce S., Dylan, Journey, REO , B Scaggs, Slade, Steely Dan, Guess Who, Wings even Devo all could rock out at times

Punk/Post-Punk: Ramones, Clash, Jam, Cars, Only Ones, Pretenders, Police, E. Costello, N. Lowe/D. Edmunds

of these selections I could pick one LP from each that is my favorite and someone else would have another pick they insist is better - in retrospect thats how spoiled for choice we were
    You talk Kraut Rock without the mention of Scorpions. Ya musta had a Blackout

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    You talk Kraut Rock without the mention of Scorpions. Ya musta had a Blackout

Nope, Scorpions arent part of that Cologne crowd - Kluster, Popol Vuh, Tangerine Dream, Neu!, Faust, Can, Amon Düül (II), Ash Ra Tempel

How could I forget Grand Funk, PG&E, Lee Michaels, the 1970s version of Pretty Things, Hawkwind/Hawklords, R. Trower, T. Bolin, UFO, Skid Row, SAHB,
    McLaughlin, Mayall, Canned Heat, Taste, R. Gallagher, Family, Streetwalkers, Mogul Thrash, B. Auger, Wishbone Ash, Trapeze, Moody Blues,
    Whitesnake, Atomic Rooster...

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    [ Aerosmith, foriegner, Boston, skynyrd all there. Mentioned Marshall Tucker Didnt mention Rossington-Collins or 38 Special..or Wet Willie (whose hit sounded like Van Morrison) or Black Oak Arkansas or Sea Level or Delaney & Bonnie or Pure Prairie League nor the 70s Manfred Mann, Climax Blues Band, and a host of other 60s successor groups like Patto, Boxer, Ellis, Jigsaw, Marmalade
    Whoa. Wet Willie and Black Oak Arkansas. Those are both some recalls. Saw both in a small club in Harvard Sq. called the Garage, a converted parking garage, in the 70s. (Saw Kansas there , too)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, Rush, AC/DC, CCR, Boston, Bad Company, Foreigner, etc. Really too many good ones to name.
    Actually, I think Jungle did name them all.

All Pro
    crosby stills nash

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan61 View Post
    1 Led Zeppelin ('nuff said)
    2 Pink Floyd ('nuff said)
    3 Aerosmith (Dream On through Rocks) rest is crap
    4 Black Sabbath
    5 Van Halen (Changed Rock)
    6 Queen
    7 Bad Company
    8 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    9 ZZ Top
    10 Fogat
    um no....just no

All Pro
    CSN(Y) was a supergroup, but I really dont think they rocked out much. Our House, Jerry G. countryfying Teach Your Children.
    Maybe Ohio, Nash's Marrakesh Express that the Hollies turned down was poppy.

A lot of what was popular wasnt hard rock. "Venus". Disco. Cher. Neil Diamond, despite his flair for a tune, Morrison-like
    pose on Hot August Nights adding more gloppy orchestration with each successive release. "No one heard at all not even the chair"
    Carly Simon, J. Browne, H. Chapin, Motown, America, Bread, ABBA, Carpenters.
    James Brown endlessly recycling songs about mothers, feet and popcorn.
    The latest teen idol from Osmonds to Jacksons to B. Sherman to D. Cassidy.
    Lots of acoustic guitars. Jaunty faux reggae like Montego Bay, I Can See Clearly Now, In The Summertime.
    Updated folk like Harry Chapin, Michael Murphey and Canada's biggest export, Gordon Lightfoot.
    Youd have a massive pop hit like "Spirit In The Sky" with all of the rock trappings but lacking the attitude.
    The British glam and pop rockers had a fraction of their local impact here , a fleeting glimpse on Saturday mornings
    "Supersonic" and eking out the occasional hit bedecked in the pajamas du jour- "Magic" "Get It On" "Jeans On" "Love Is The Drug"

etc
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.