Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rex Ryan yesterday declared his defense will be elite this season

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Elite to me is top 3, and I am looking at points allowed. We were 20th last year at 23.4ppg allowed. I don't see us leapfrogging 17 teams this year. Here are the rankings from last year:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...oints-per-game
    Sure, there are 17 teams that have better defenses than the Jets.

You probably don't need to take into account the points that the offense and special teams give up, even though they count against the DEFENSE..... or the short fields, from turnovers..... or the lack of rest, from constant 3 and outs. Nope, just look at the numbers..... the Jets are 20th best, defensively.

Logic SHOULD tell you that giving up the 8th fewest yards, but the 20th fewest points, means there were some short fields and points off turnovers..... but, that would be THINKING, not reading numbers, alone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post

You probably don't need to take into account the points that the offense and special teams give up, even though they count against the DEFENSE..... or the short fields, from turnovers..... or the lack of rest, from constant 3 and outs. Nope, just look at the numbers..... the Jets are 20th best, defensively.

Logic SHOULD tell you that giving up the 8th fewest yards, but the 20th fewest points, means there were some short fields and points off turnovers..... but, that would be THINKING, not reading numbers, alone.
    Or the fact that our kicking game sucked. We couldn't win the field game. The Offense went 3 and out, how many times wearing out the Defense. Sanchez and Tebow fiasco to make everybody happy campers; how can you evaluate a Defense in a year like that.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He is ABSOLUTELY ELITE. The question was..was he ELITE as a JETS head coach. THAT my friend was the debate.
    He was elilte when he coached the Giants before the little factor know as the salary cap existed. Parcells and the Giants FO was able to stock the cupboards with talent.
    After that he cherry picked situations where he had nothing to lose Jets 1-15 , floundering Mia and Dallas teams he signed aging Vets to big contracts knowing he would be gone before those bills came due.
    He was perceived as the white knight rescuing teams when in essence all he did was set them up for future cap hell.
    Sure it was a great ride in 98 but it was a one and done when he didnt have enough of cap space to sign a quality backup QB ( Rick Mirer, Ray Lucas and we complain about Sanchez)

IMO Parcells is greatly overrated.

Bill Parcell's was an elite coach, there should be no question about that. He was also the biggest HC whore in the modern game. After the Giants stint, the man never stayed around long enough to finish any job he started. It was always "I'm done with coaching" with Bill, until the next owner thru a ton of cash at him to come back. One thing you can say about Rex is, he wants to be here and he wants to win a championship for this fan base. He is also got a winning record and more playoffs then any other Jets HC. The man is a defensive savant and you can't be that without knowing a little something about the X's & O's of the offensive side of the game as well.
    Rex's problem is, he has hung his hat with a kid who is just not a starting Pro QB. If Rex is given a little time with a decent QB I think many who now want him fired would agree keeping him as HC was the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Bill Parcell's was an elite coach, there should be no question about that. He was also the biggest HC whore in the modern game. After the Giants stint, the man never stayed around long enough to finish any job he started. It was always "I'm done with coaching" with Bill, until the next owner thru a ton of cash at him to come back. One thing you can say about Rex is, he wants to be here and he wants to win a championship for this fan base. He is also got a winning record and more playoffs then any other Jets HC. The man is a defensive savant and you can't be that without knowing a little something about the X's & O's of the offensive side of the game as well.
    Rex's problem is, he has hung his hat with a kid who is just not a starting Pro QB. If Rex is given a little time with a decent QB I think many who now want him fired would agree keeping him as HC was the right thing to do.
    The man may know how to defend an offense , but when it comes to running his own , he either has no desire or is just unqualified. If Rex had a decent QB he would have ruined him by trying to force G&P down his throat. The team had made the right step by bringing in MM & Lee let's just keep Rex out of those offensive meetings and we'll be fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    The man may know how to defend an offense , but when it comes to running his own , he either has no desire or is just unqualified. If Rex had a decent QB he would have ruined him by trying to force G&P down his throat. The team had made the right step by bringing in MM & Lee let's just keep Rex out of those offensive meetings and we'll be fine.
    I don't think so, he let's the other side of the house do it's own thing for the most part. G&P was perfect for the players they had on O at the time, Good OL, young vulnerable qb, power back, and good D, they collectively just couldn't kick it up a notch. Imagine if some of those guys were in their prime rather than on their way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post

Rex is the one who hand picked Sparano to be his OC. Rex is the one who stuck with Sanchez when it was obvious the guy sucked. Rex is the one that made the decisions to put his D in ****ty situations. He earned his ranking. And I like Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Rex is the one who hand picked Sparano to be his OC. Rex is the one who stuck with Sanchez when it was obvious the guy sucked. Rex is the one that made the decisions to put his D in ****ty situations. He earned his ranking. And I like Rex.
    Well he didn't stick with him. He benched him last year. The issue is not Rex has a head coach, the issue is Rex and his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I don't think so, he let's the other side of the house do it's own thing for the most part. G&P was perfect for the players they had on O at the time, Good OL, young vulnerable qb, power back, and good D, they collectively just couldn't kick it up a notch. Imagine if some of those guys were in their prime rather than on their way out.
    Yes, in 2009-2010 , but in 2011 when it was evident that G&P would crash & burn Rex refused to alter his affinity for it, instead he forced it into an offense that was ill suited to run it.

In reality Rex got a little lucky in 09-10 , he had the horses to run the only offense he ever had any intention of implementing. Had he started with the Jets in 2011 he may have been fired by now. I believe in Rex as a good defensive coach, the problem I had with him as a HC was he muddled and mandated an offensive system instead of delegating that to his offensive staff. Some here say he's not involved enough in the O , I think the opposite , he's need to stay as far away from that side of the ball as possible.

Rex the HC made decisions that directly impacted his D. I don't think it's a valid argument trying to separate the two. If he was just the DC I would give you the point. Also again, elite to me is top 3, I don't see us there this year. Top 10 yes, top 5 maybe.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yes, in 2009-2010 , but in 2011 when it was evident that G&P would crash & burn Rex refused to alter his affinity for it, instead he forced it into an offense that was ill suited to run it.

In reality Rex got a little lucky in 09-10 , he had the horses to run the only offense he ever had any intention of implementing. Had he started with the Jets in 2011 he may have been fired by now. I believe in Rex as a good defensive coach, the problem I had with him as a HC was he muddled and mandated an offensive system instead of delegating that to his offensive staff. Some here say he's not involved enough in the O , I think the opposite , he's need to stay as far away from that side of the ball as possible.
    It basically just worked for the Ravens, GP is good for when you don't have great talent on O. The WCO is the basically GP via short passes, looking for YAC.