Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Why The Media Hates On The Jets

  1. #1

    Why The Media Hates On The Jets

    Another post I made in another forum, just re-writing it here.

    There are multiple reasons why we get **** on.

    1) Not a one team town. Usually the local papers have to placate to the fanbase because they are the customers, so some of the negative stories get hidden. But having the Giants in town hurts us because not only does this eliminate the need for beat writers to be somewhat positive about us, we look terrible against them in comparison. Also, as with any rivalry that's formed, Giants fans will drive up revenues because they would love to hear about the Jets demise. And it works in many ways. How many of you go and read articles about something bad about the Pats? How many of you check out Pat's blogs when they get eliminated? Misery always loves company. Same with the Yankees-Mets as well. Knicks-Nets as well. Rangers-Islanders.

    This in itself is unique, since there aren't a ton of two team states, let alone ones that actually share the buildings.

    2) Media bias. We just covered why the local beat writers can go nuts on the Jets. Now the national media. Where is the National Media? Boston? I'm pretty sure we know why media from there would go out of their way to bash the Jets. Washington? Rex connection there, when Rex made a big deal of being passed over for the Ravens job. Miami? Another Jets rival. The Eastern seaboard has 4 major media centers, and each one of them have an incentive to bash the Jets. Then we have the drama queens in the west coast that only really care about the ratings and jumping on the bandwagon.

    3. People hate NY in general. There is a perceived aura of brashness, unfriendly people inhabiting NY/NJ (Helped by stupid reality shows) so there is a general dislike for NY anyway, so anything associated with it is going to get swept up in the hate flood as well. Look at how many people hate the Yankees, even with all of their success.

    4. Nothing sells sports papers like ridicule. And when you can get united in ridicule, it sells even better. This is more about marketing. If you can create story lines because of preconceived notions of futility about a team, then every time the team struggles, both you and the reader feel smarter, because you "recognized" it early. It's the same phenomenon in fantasy drafts, where people love picking sleepers and fallers.

    5. The Jets were brash. Ryan was brash. We made a brand out of it. We wanted attention. We got the attention, both by the brashness and by winning. Unfortunately the tide turned, and we have to deal with the downside as well. Ever hear famous people talk about the trials and tribulations of being famous, and wonder "WTF"? By attracting attention towards us by being brash, we also open up ourselves to undue criticism. Celebrities get in trouble for saying stuff that you and I say every weekend. It's a consequence of living under the spotlight. And when you are under the spotlight, every mistake gets highlighted, and for the past two years, we have made a good amount of mistakes.

    6. We deserve some of this, not all of it is unwarranted. The Sanchez extension was a debacle. He never deserved the money he was getting and what we should have done is the same things TB is doing with Freeman right now. Draft a young QB with potential, that will sit for one year. And give your incumbent QB, the chance to sink or swim. Instead, we babied and coddled Sanchez as much as possible. We put a very good team around him in his developmental stage, with the belief that once he's developed, he'd be able to cover for the lack of talent around him, but he never developed. Signing a WR two weeks after he publicly insulted your front office? Not the greatest PR move.

    7. Tebow. Here's a lesson to learn. When a team goes to the playoffs, gets talked about on national TV constantly, has high ratings, wins a playoff game in amazing fashion, with possibly the most popular QB in the game..................and they can't WAIT to get rid of him.........SOMETHING IS WRONG. Tebow was generating money for the Broncos left and right. He was winning, and they traded him for a 3 round downgrade from what they acquired him for in the first place. That was one of the worst moves you could make. Something that was pre-fabricated to blow up in our faces. And it did.

    If you combine all this, it's not wonder why we get ragged on. And it's not going to stop if we fire Rex (unless we hire someone like Cowher- and even then we'll have to deal with the "He's here to clean up the circus" BS for a year or two). It only stops if we win.

    Geno Smith is the perfect example. Half the nitwits were talking about TRADING UP in the first round to get Geno Smith, and how so many teams need QBs and how valuable they are. Let me ask you. Would you deal Geno Smith for Alex Smith? I certainly wouldn't. Yet, you hear nary a peep about the Alex Smith deal after the initial talk about it. Even the competition between Geno and Sanchez gets ridiculed like we are supposed to just anoint someone the starter, without seeing who can be better.

    Best solution. Shun the negative media as much as possible. Not because it's going to drive them bankrupt. It's not, they'll survive and thrive without any of us. But it'll save your sanity. We are not going to hear anything positive until we start winning. Also, realize the fact, that what the media says should really have no affect whatsoever on the playing field. Yeah, maybe we can't take pleasure in reading gloating articles from around the league talking highly of us, but whatever happens on the field happens no matter what the media says. If we are good, the media will turn around and start singing praises again, it's just the nature of the beast.

  2. #2

    Page views sell...

    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Another post I made in another forum, just re-writing it here.

    There are multiple reasons why we get **** on.

    1) Not a one team town. Usually the local papers have to placate to the fanbase because they are the customers, so some of the negative stories get hidden. But having the Giants in town hurts us because not only does this eliminate the need for beat writers to be somewhat positive about us, we look terrible against them in comparison. Also, as with any rivalry that's formed, Giants fans will drive up revenues because they would love to hear about the Jets demise. And it works in many ways. How many of you go and read articles about something bad about the Pats? How many of you check out Pat's blogs when they get eliminated? Misery always loves company. Same with the Yankees-Mets as well. Knicks-Nets as well. Rangers-Islanders.

    This in itself is unique, since there aren't a ton of two team states, let alone ones that actually share the buildings.

    2) Media bias. We just covered why the local beat writers can go nuts on the Jets. Now the national media. Where is the National Media? Boston? I'm pretty sure we know why media from there would go out of their way to bash the Jets. Washington? Rex connection there, when Rex made a big deal of being passed over for the Ravens job. Miami? Another Jets rival. The Eastern seaboard has 4 major media centers, and each one of them have an incentive to bash the Jets. Then we have the drama queens in the west coast that only really care about the ratings and jumping on the bandwagon.

    3. People hate NY in general. There is a perceived aura of brashness, unfriendly people inhabiting NY/NJ (Helped by stupid reality shows) so there is a general dislike for NY anyway, so anything associated with it is going to get swept up in the hate flood as well. Look at how many people hate the Yankees, even with all of their success.

    4. Nothing sells sports papers like ridicule. And when you can get united in ridicule, it sells even better. This is more about marketing. If you can create story lines because of preconceived notions of futility about a team, then every time the team struggles, both you and the reader feel smarter, because you "recognized" it early. It's the same phenomenon in fantasy drafts, where people love picking sleepers and fallers.

    5. The Jets were brash. Ryan was brash. We made a brand out of it. We wanted attention. We got the attention, both by the brashness and by winning. Unfortunately the tide turned, and we have to deal with the downside as well. Ever hear famous people talk about the trials and tribulations of being famous, and wonder "WTF"? By attracting attention towards us by being brash, we also open up ourselves to undue criticism. Celebrities get in trouble for saying stuff that you and I say every weekend. It's a consequence of living under the spotlight. And when you are under the spotlight, every mistake gets highlighted, and for the past two years, we have made a good amount of mistakes.

    6. We deserve some of this, not all of it is unwarranted. The Sanchez extension was a debacle. He never deserved the money he was getting and what we should have done is the same things TB is doing with Freeman right now. Draft a young QB with potential, that will sit for one year. And give your incumbent QB, the chance to sink or swim. Instead, we babied and coddled Sanchez as much as possible. We put a very good team around him in his developmental stage, with the belief that once he's developed, he'd be able to cover for the lack of talent around him, but he never developed. Signing a WR two weeks after he publicly insulted your front office? Not the greatest PR move.

    7. Tebow. Here's a lesson to learn. When a team goes to the playoffs, gets talked about on national TV constantly, has high ratings, wins a playoff game in amazing fashion, with possibly the most popular QB in the game..................and they can't WAIT to get rid of him.........SOMETHING IS WRONG. Tebow was generating money for the Broncos left and right. He was winning, and they traded him for a 3 round downgrade from what they acquired him for in the first place. That was one of the worst moves you could make. Something that was pre-fabricated to blow up in our faces. And it did.

    If you combine all this, it's not wonder why we get ragged on. And it's not going to stop if we fire Rex (unless we hire someone like Cowher- and even then we'll have to deal with the "He's here to clean up the circus" BS for a year or two). It only stops if we win.

    Geno Smith is the perfect example. Half the nitwits were talking about TRADING UP in the first round to get Geno Smith, and how so many teams need QBs and how valuable they are. Let me ask you. Would you deal Geno Smith for Alex Smith? I certainly wouldn't. Yet, you hear nary a peep about the Alex Smith deal after the initial talk about it. Even the competition between Geno and Sanchez gets ridiculed like we are supposed to just anoint someone the starter, without seeing who can be better.

    Best solution. Shun the negative media as much as possible. Not because it's going to drive them bankrupt. It's not, they'll survive and thrive without any of us. But it'll save your sanity. We are not going to hear anything positive until we start winning. Also, realize the fact, that what the media says should really have no affect whatsoever on the playing field. Yeah, maybe we can't take pleasure in reading gloating articles from around the league talking highly of us, but whatever happens on the field happens no matter what the media says. If we are good, the media will turn around and start singing praises again, it's just the nature of the beast.
    Spare me another controversy for page views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIFiWKFSsh0

  3. #3
    Best Solution is winning !!! Winning is the best perfume. win and nobody cares about anything . If the jets win a Super bowl the critics, haters and Aholes will shut up.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,706
    I am not reading all of that. If the media truly hated the Jets, it could summed up in one sentence, because Jets fans give the response they look for.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Best Solution is winning !!! Winning is the best perfume. win and nobody cares about anything . If the jets win a Super bowl the critics, haters and Aholes will shut up.
    That's true. If we win, everything is wax poetic about the Jets.

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    I am not reading all of that. If the media truly hated the Jets, it could summed up in one sentence, because Jets fans give the response they look for.
    Lol, yeah, it's a bit long. I do agree with your point, there are a good amount of Jets fans that get irritated by it, but actually help them out by responding, sharing, talking about, or still subscribing to the source. Part of the reason why losers like Cowherd, First Take, and other stupid shows are on, is because they try to create controversy, and fans feel the need to defend their team. But by taking the time to defend and promote their defense, they are actually helping the people making the ridiculous claim.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    That's true. If we win, everything is wax poetic about the Jets.



    Lol, yeah, it's a bit long. I do agree with your point, there are a good amount of Jets fans that get irritated by it, but actually help them out by responding, sharing, talking about, or still subscribing to the source. Part of the reason why losers like Cowherd, First Take, and other stupid shows are on, is because they try to create controversy, and fans feel the need to defend their team. But by taking the time to defend and promote their defense, they are actually helping the people making the ridiculous claim.

    Page views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-deAYMziEA

  7. #7
    The media doesn't hate the jets. The jets and woody have been one of the media's best friends. Open door policy, Access to coaches and the teams. The team encouraging the players interaction with the media.

    The jets made two of the worse decisions in football last year. Signing Tebow ( and giving statements during PC about unleashing him and letting him be treated as he was the starting QB) and signing Sanchez to an extension. While both these happened under the old regime, everything is not forgotten when Tanny closed the door behind him.

    The jets decisions don't get the benefit of the doubt because they have not won in the last 20 years. While the team gives unlimited access to the media, neither the the team or it's players are very media savvy at all. The jets are perceived to be courting media attention. While the Giants are reserved and when they win you hear just as many "aw shucks" as you do back slapping. On the jets you hear more back slapping than anything else, even while not winning. For example Rex saying he will have a top 5 defense- Why did he say such a thing? So if the jets finished 10-12 and with a difference of 10 yards a game from top 5 the media can call him on it, every time the jets give up 20 points in a game this year your going to see a reference to that statement.

    To get good media, you have to win so that when negative arguments are posted they are treated with a snicker. Ron Borges continues to write and spin every thing to be anti pats up here. His articles are joked about on sports radio up here, even though the media hates Bill and derides the pats for not helping them sell their papers or air time.

    The jets are treated like little brothers because they are. The Giants have a larger fan base and a more affluent one. There is nothing wrong with being the little brother. Peytons little brother has had more success than he has.

  8. #8
    The media doesn't hate the jets. The jets and woody have been one of the media's best friends. Open door policy, Access to coaches and the teams. The team encouraging the players interaction with the media.

    The jets made two of the worse decisions in football last year. Signing Tebow ( and giving statements during PC about unleashing him and letting him be treated as he was the starting QB) and signing Sanchez to an extension. While both these happened under the old regime, everything is not forgotten when Tanny closed the door behind him.

    The jets decisions don't get the benefit of the doubt because they have not won in the last 20 years. While the team gives unlimited access to the media, neither the the team or it's players are very media savvy at all. The jets are perceived to be courting media attention. While the Giants are reserved and when they win you hear just as many "aw shucks" as you do back slapping. On the jets you hear more back slapping than anything else, even while not winning. For example Rex saying he will have a top 5 defense- Why did he say such a thing? So if the jets finished 10-12 and with a difference of 10 yards a game from top 5 the media can call him on it, every time the jets give up 20 points in a game this year your going to see a reference to that statement.

    To get good media, you have to win so that when negative arguments are posted they are treated with a snicker. Ron Borges continues to write and spin every thing to be anti pats up here. His articles are joked about on sports radio up here, even though the media hates Bill and derides the pats for not helping them sell their papers or air time.

    The jets are treated like little brothers because they are. The Giants have a larger fan base and a more affluent one. There is nothing wrong with being the little brother. Peytons little brother has had more success than he has.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The media doesn't hate the jets. The jets and woody have been one of the media's best friends. Open door policy, Access to coaches and the teams. The team encouraging the players interaction with the media.

    The jets made two of the worse decisions in football last year. Signing Tebow ( and giving statements during PC about unleashing him and letting him be treated as he was the starting QB) and signing Sanchez to an extension. While both these happened under the old regime, everything is not forgotten when Tanny closed the door behind him.

    The jets decisions don't get the benefit of the doubt because they have not won in the last 20 years. While the team gives unlimited access to the media, neither the the team or it's players are very media savvy at all. The jets are perceived to be courting media attention. While the Giants are reserved and when they win you hear just as many "aw shucks" as you do back slapping. On the jets you hear more back slapping than anything else, even while not winning. For example Rex saying he will have a top 5 defense- Why did he say such a thing? So if the jets finished 10-12 and with a difference of 10 yards a game from top 5 the media can call him on it, every time the jets give up 20 points in a game this year your going to see a reference to that statement.

    To get good media, you have to win so that when negative arguments are posted they are treated with a snicker. Ron Borges continues to write and spin every thing to be anti pats up here. His articles are joked about on sports radio up here, even though the media hates Bill and derides the pats for not helping them sell their papers or air time.

    The jets are treated like little brothers because they are. The Giants have a larger fan base and a more affluent one. There is nothing wrong with being the little brother. Peytons little brother has had more success than he has.
    Your last part is nonsense. Jets and giants have basically the same sized fanbase in the metro area. And how are you able to deduce that one fanbase is more affluent than the other.

    The little brother thing comes from the fact that one team is older than the other, that's it.

  10. #10
    Let's figure out why Jets FANS hate against the Jets, then we can worry about why the media does . . .

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    After 40+ years we should be the lovable losers but we are not. There is something to people loving to hate NY but I don't think that plays much in this case. IMO these are the main reasons why we get treated the way we do:

    1. Open-door media policy that was adopted by Tanny/Rex/Woody in an effort to sell PSLs is a double-edged sword. When you sleep with dogs you get fleas. Once the door is open it is hard to close w/o a complete regime change.

    2. Rex's past bloviating. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Especially around the league.

    3. Woody being openly conservative.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Wolfe View Post
    Your last part is nonsense. Jets and giants have basically the same sized fanbase in the metro area. And how are you able to deduce that one fanbase is more affluent than the other.

    The little brother thing comes from the fact that one team is older than the other, that's it.
    Let's not kid ourselves, the Giants fanbase is absolutely larger than the Jets fanbase. It's not even close.

    I think the affluence thing is more of a perception this day and age though.

  13. #13
    This is more nonsense and paranoia. The media doesn't have a particular hate for the Jets. What the Jets give the media is a three ring circus, led by ring master Rex---. Heck can you blame them.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,060
    You had me at "1)"

    I will try to explain without the whole book.

    SB 3 Jets win the whole thing with a brash cocky QB named Namath, they are the team that comes in and takes the clean cut Johnny U and sends them packing with the NY partying swag. We had it all and we were destined for greatness. Since then we have been riding that wave doing all we can to hold on but only doing half to get it back. Now along come the Giants, in the NFC, the power house of the NFL. All should reject a second football team in NY but the NFC is suddenly becoming the strength of the league and with the Giants coming to town it gives people a place to hang their hat.

    Clean, Strong , Organized and on the move, the Giants are the team to follow as the Jets do not seem to be doing much to improve the organization much passed SB3, while the Giants are establishing themselves as the powerhouse of NY. Suddenly the Giants are the big brother winning a SB and the Jets the step brother barely making playoffs. We are now following them around, right into their stadium, and we are still following them. We almost created our own identity with our own stadium but some hard-on senator killed that with his own agenda.

    Leon Hess, was not concerned with winning SB’s as much as he was concerned with marketing the team and keeping a steady income for as little cost as possible. Over the years the less than serious attitude in the Jets ownership and the people Hess employed to run the organization have made the team look like a bunch of clowns. Unfortunately that stigma carries over to Woody. I truly believe he wants to win, I am just unsure he know how to.

    If management is not serious, how is the press expected to take it.

    Just my thoughts.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,238
    You have guys like Francessa who loves the Giants and pretends to be objective . Guys like him look good when we have years like last year and the Giants win the SB.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Best Solution is winning !!! Winning is the best perfume. win and nobody cares about anything . If the jets win a Super bowl the critics, haters and Aholes will shut up.
    It didn't work after Supe III.. We were hated more..

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It didn't work after Supe III.. We were hated more..
    By Giant fans. Lol

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    By Giant fans. Lol
    Rozelle went after Namath for Bachelors 3..

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    There is a difference between hating and telling it like it is. For instance Ray Lucas I believe tells it like it is . What he observes and how he feels about the team. I have seen him root for the team but also put down Sanchez, Rex, Bart Scott etc. But also on the very same show on SNY Adam Schein will just talk out both sides of his mouth. Sanchez is the starter on this team and then two days later kill him and say he should not be on the team. You can be objective but you can't do a complete opposite in every situation. Guys like Mehta & Cimini i my opinion would rather not cover this team, but they get paid to do a job so they make more to the story than what it really is. Even worse some of there tweets are just so damn sarcastic I sometimes forget they are supposed to be professional journalist.
    Francesca is a sports shock jock on a lot of levels. Just as people tune into Stern or O & A for what they do on the radio people listen to Francesca for the same reason. I do not believe he likes the Jets organization from Woody on down. But when you are a journalist you need to be objective.
    My favorite person I like to listen to is Carl Banks and Boomer once in a while. Both are very knowledgeable of the game. Banks adds more to it though. I remember the day after we got trounced by NE 41-3 or something in 2010. Everyone was saying that the team was just a farce and the loss brought out what our team really was. Banks came out and basically said that the score didn't really reflect the effort of the team and then explained what the team needed to do etc. He coudl have jumped o the bandwagon and just killed it from top to bottom but he looked at it objectively.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,526
    Who cares?

    After two straight years, you'd think fans would be used to it by now.

    Besides, I kinda like being the team that everyone loves to hate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us