Thread: " Jets teach players how to talk to the media " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Cool " Jets teach players how to talk to the media " ~ ~ ~

New York Jets teach players how to talk to the media
    Expect thrilling quotes from Jets press conferences this season.

take a look...

> http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/new-...Top+Stories%29

Jets Insider VIP
    Add to that list: Next question please.

I'm sure every team does this. Do they have laminated notes they hand out? Who knows, but the dumb part is that someone showed it to Mehta. Which is really more where the problem lies with the Jets and the press - leaks like no other team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Suggested Key words to use:

1. Whatever
    2. Erry ding like dat.
    3. Wat

Jets Insider VIP
    Suggested Key words to use:

1. Whatever
    2. Erry ding like dat.
    3. Wat

All Pro
    I'm sure every team in the NFL does this. Most businesses give media training to employees who are likely to have to give media interviews. Why should NFL teams, including the Jets, be any different?

Non-story...

Mehta tweeted this a few days ago. He tried to make a joke of it, and nobody bit.

Mainly because nobody cares.

This wasn't even news was a joke in Bull Durham 25 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This wasn't even news was a joke in Bull Durham 25 years ago.
    pretty good movie

I'm sure all franchises do this. I worked for the Mets for 13 years and try have Media Training every year for players.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    New York Jets teach players how to talk to the media
    Expect thrilling quotes from Jets press conferences this season.

take a look...

> http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/new-...Top+Stories%29
    So I guess Joe Mcknight miss that one too. Do Jets have any plans to teach there plays about social media.(twitter, facebook, Instagram etc)

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'm just staying focused on working hard and doing what the team asks me to do. Just trying to get better every day so I can be ready for week 1. The coaches are doing a great job of preparing us and we're just going to take it one game at a time.

Hall Of Fame
    Helping the Jets Find the Right Words

Some suggestions on how New York's players can handle difficult interviews.

In an attempt to help their players navigate New York's treacherous media waters, the Jets have implemented an interesting strategy. They've distributed "media bridges"—a series of transitional phrases listed on the front and back of a laminated card—to assist each player in steering a potentially awkward interview into a more favorable and comfortable direction.

Most professional sports franchises administer some sort of media training to their athletes. But the phrases on the Jets' cards (e.g., "The real issue here is," "Let me just add that," "What I can say is this") are rather generic. The players could benefit from using "bridges" that were more Jets-specific.

So we came up with a few suggestions:

"What I can say is that I have no memory of Tim Tebow as a Jet. None."

"Mark or Geno? Honestly, I recommend Jim's at 4th and South. Best cheesesteak in Philly."

"Let me just add that I have no problem with a man getting a tattoo of his wife wearing his quarterback's jersey. If that kind of thing is wrong, I don't want to be right."

"The real issue here isn't whether we can replace Darrelle Revis. It's whether Darrelle Revis can replace us."

"Another thing to remember is that I'm not the general manager. If I were, I wouldn't be talking to you."

"Did you say 'Sparano' or 'Soprano?' Because, man, wasn't James Gandolfini the best?"

"I wouldn't even try to take on the job of being the guy in the locker room who wears the vaguely European headband."

"The 'wildcat,' as you call it, isn't my area of expertise. But I can recommend a good zoologist."

"Great question. Interceptions. Screen passes. Got it. I'll get back to you."

"That's an important point. It is good to have more than one healthy running back."

"If you look at it closely, you'll find that most teams really don't need a starting quarterback at all."

"What's most important is that we no longer go around guaranteeing Super Bowls around here."

"If you insist that we had a left-handed, punt-protecting backup quarterback on this team last season, and that you reporters wrote hundreds of stories about him even though he rarely played and never scored a single touchdown, then I'll take your word for it. But I can't comment further."

"Speaking of butt-fumbles…"

Write to Mike Sielski at mike.sielski@wsj.com

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama