Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jets practice 8/22 news thread

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:
    Rex Ryan names Geno Smith the starter for Saturday night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Lee's quotes and Marty's quotes, it really sounds like they want Sanchez. They like Geno future, but right now they are definitely angling more towards Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @KMart_LICro said he was cramping up in his legs today. That's why he wasn't in teams drills #jets

@SethWalderNYDNVlad said the plan is for him to start at LG against the Giants. #nyj

@KristianRDyerGates practiced today with a shoulder wrap. Told me he can play on Saturday.

@BrianCozPeterman said the plan this week has been for him to work at center. Sounds like he'll shift back to guard next week and be emergency C

@KMart_LIKellen Winslow said the plan was for him to sit out practice today, but he told trainers he was good to go. #jets

@BrianCozRex says Geno will start Saturday. Makes it official. #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNSanchez will also play vs. Giants. #nyj

@KristianRDyerRex on Geno: “It seems like he looks good. The ankle looks better than it did last week. I’m excited to see him.”

@JetsInsiderWinters will play, too. #Jets

@BrianCozRex says he's not sure if Braylon will play. Says he has a leg injury #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNRex says playing time for QBs Saturday has yet to be determined. #nyj

@DarrylSlater"I'm not going to say he's got to look like Phil Simms in the Super Bowl," Rex Ryan on what he needs to see from Smith's start vs. Giants.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @KMart_LICro said he was cramping up in his legs today. That's why he wasn't in teams drills #jets

@SethWalderNYDNVlad said the plan is for him to start at LG against the Giants. #nyj

@KristianRDyerGates practiced today with a shoulder wrap. Told me he can play on Saturday.

@BrianCozPeterman said the plan this week has been for him to work at center. Sounds like he'll shift back to guard next week and be emergency C

@KMart_LIKellen Winslow said the plan was for him to sit out practice today, but he told trainers he was good to go. #jets

@BrianCozRex says Geno will start Saturday. Makes it official. #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNSanchez will also play vs. Giants. #nyj

@KristianRDyerRex on Geno: “It seems like he looks good. The ankle looks better than it did last week. I’m excited to see him.”

@BrianCozRex says he's not sure if Braylon will play. Says he has a leg injury #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNRex says playing time for QBs Saturday has yet to be determined. #nyj

@DarrylSlater"I'm not going to say he's got to look like Phil Simms in the Super Bowl," Rex Ryan on what he needs to see from Smith's start vs. Giants.

@JetsInsiderRex also confirms Mohamed Massaquoi signing. Says he reminds him of Jerricho Cotchery. Obviously, the #Jets and Jets fans would like that.

@JetsInsiderRex says they could wait another week before naming a Week 1 starter. #Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @DarrylSlater"It wouldn't be an equal competition had we not played it out this way," Rex Ryan said of Geno Smith starting vs. Giants.

@SethWalderNYDNRex essentially says once Geno missed second game, the competition always was going to extend into third game. #nyj

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smit officially named starter for Saturday night.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RichCiminiQB coach David Lee says competition could go into 4th PS game. Jets want to avoid a specific timetable. Still think starter is named nxt wk.

@BrianCozMornhinweg says he's proud that Geno pushed through the ankle injury. #nyj

@DarrylSlaterMarty Mornhinweg on Smith: "He had a pretty good week. He was significantly better (with ankle)."

@eallenjetsMornhinweg: Sanchez has had an excellent camp, played well in segments in the preseason.

@KMart_LIMornhinweg on naming a starting QB: "Look it, I would have rather had it done quite a bit earlier...but the competition continues." #jets

@eallenjetsMornhinweg: Geno is one of the better rookies I have had as far as learning the offense.

@KMart_LIMornhinweg excited about Massaquoi. Said #Jets worked him out this morning. Said WR has “excellent hands" & is a "good" route runner #jets

@SethWalderNYDNMarty said he thinks he knows what level Sanchez is playing at but, "don't quite know where Geno's at." #nyj

@KMart_LIMornhinweg on @DolaOcho: "I'd certainly keep ur eye on him." #Jets OC said he had an "outstanding" training camp #jets

@BrianCozMornhinweg sounds like he's a vote for Sanchez #nyj

@RichCiminiMornhinweg says he has good feel for Sanchez, still learning about Geno. Remember: Mornhinweg has never gone into yr w rookie QB as starter.

@SethWalderNYDNMarty says he thinks Mark has been more accurate this preseason than he has been before. #nyj

@DWAZ73Mornhinweg says of what he wants to see from Geno: "Let's go and turn it loose."

@KMart_LIMornhinweg called Geno "highly talented," "sharp," a "diligent worker" & "athletic"..."He simply lacks experience," he added #jets

@BrianCozHearing the Jets could be bringing back OL Jason Smith, who was cut by the Saints yesterday. #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNLee on Geno: "I’d love to see him get 2, 2.5 quarters, but we don’t know yet." #nyj

@nyjetsThe Jets have released TE Mike Shanahan and WR Titus Ryan and have signed WR Mohamed Massaquoi.

@KMart_LI"I do know this: Mark is throwing the ball quite a little bit more accurately....than he has in the past." -- Marty Mornhinweg #jets

@SethWalderNYDN**Note: None of these came against 1st team D. A lot near goalline.**

QB Stats: Geno 5-6 with 5 TDs, drop. Sanchez 4-4, TD, rush TD. #nyj

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @SethWalderNYDNMarty said he thinks he knows what level Sanchez is playing at but, "don't quite know where Geno's at." #nyj

@DarrylSlater"You go with some instincts," Marty Mornhinweg said when asked what happens of one QB doesn't separate himself.

@KristianRDyerDavid Lee said that Sanchez is mentally good in this offense.

@BrianCozLee says the Jets have some pistol formation in their offense and we could see it soon #nyj

@KMart_LIQBs coach David Lee said one day he thinks Mark Sanchez will win the job, other days it looks like Geno will win it #jets

@SethWalderNYDNLee said Mark Sanchez has been dealing with a toe issue. #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNDavid Lee says if Geno is going to win job, the competition will have to extend through 4th preseason game. #nyj

@JetsInsiderVlad will start at LG against the #Giants. #Jets

@KMart_LITE Kellen Winslow says pitch count 'was mainly for training camp' ~> bit.ly/14neYn3 #jets

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    @CLoprestiWFANMornhinweg yucking it up with Holmes and Cromartie after practice. One big happy family... #NYJ

#SwaggingWhileTalking
    Glad we're a family.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Glad we're a family.
    Marty and his two black children. We're the irl version of Diff'rent Strokes.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

@DarrylSlater"You go with some instincts," Marty Mornhinweg said when asked what happens of one QB doesn't separate himself.

@KristianRDyerDavid Lee said that Sanchez is mentally good in this offense.

@BrianCozLee says the Jets have some pistol formation in their offense and we could see it soon #nyj

@KMart_LIQBs coach David Lee said one day he thinks Mark Sanchez will win the job, other days it looks like Geno will win it #jets

@SethWalderNYDNLee said Mark Sanchez has been dealing with a toe issue. #nyj

@SethWalderNYDNDavid Lee says if Geno is going to win job, the competition will have to extend through 4th preseason game. #nyj

@JetsInsiderVlad will start at LG against the #Giants. #Jets

@KMart_LITE Kellen Winslow says pitch count 'was mainly for training camp' ~> bit.ly/14neYn3 #jets

#SwaggingWhileTalking
    I'm glad to hear Kellen is healthy and ready to play every game this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @KristianRDyerVlad Ducasse hasn't looked horrible at left guard.

@KristianRDyerImpressed (again) with Bilal Powell, in particular picking up blitzes and his blocking.

@KMart_LIRex said him, Idzik, scouts, etc meet after every gm to discuss entire roster. Adds, he & Idzik talk informally on a daily basis #jets

@RichCiminiBraylon has leg injury, not likely to play. #Jets

#SwaggingWhileTalking

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I believe Massaquoi is a threat to Edwards not the young WR's
    Only if Edwards is not healthy. Otherwise, I would think he's more of a threat to Obomanu.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Only if Edwards is not healthy. Otherwise, I would think he's more of a threat to Obomanu.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

#SwaggingWhileTalking
    Lol, was going to say you have a lot of twitter updates to catch up on after the board outage, you knocked out 4 pages of updates in 4 posts. Nicely done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Lol, was going to say you have a lot of twitter updates to catch up on after the board outage, you knocked out 4 pages of updates in 4 posts. Nicely done.
    RAY PLS

I'm always on top of my twitter game, my man.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @KMart_LICro said he meant nothing by the hit yesterday on Hill. Added, tho, that "camp is soft" now esp. w/o two-a-days #jets

@KMart_LIRex said Vlad will start at LG vs. #NYG

@KMart_LIRex denies the delay in the QB decision is because #Jets want Geno Smith to win the job.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big news on Brian.

#SwaggingWhileTalking

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    While its possible Vlad has resurrected his play on the field, i just dont buy it, and i think we are being fed it by the coaching staff. I dont know, maybe they want to believe its true themselves, but im going to need visual evidence, which i havent seen yet.

There is a few of these stories every year that end up being BS.
    Have you watched him play this preseason or at camp? He has been a solid run-blocker for a couple years now, so as long as he is picking up te pass blocking assignments better and improving his technique, it's not hard to believe he has gotten a lot better.

If you have the physical and athletic ability to run block, you should be able to pick up the technique to pass block.

I believe it because I have seen him mail people in the running game in the past. No reason to think he won't eventually become efficient enough in pass pro to be a very good player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "SethWalderNYDNDavid Lee says if Geno is going to win job, the competition will have to extend through 4th preseason game. #nyj"

That says it all about where the competition is at right now.