Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan yesterday declared his defense will be elite this season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan yesterday declared his defense will be elite this season

Rex Ryan yesterday declared his defense will be elite this season, as the Jets coach claimed his unit will rank as one of the top five in the NFL.

“We will be,” Ryan said. “Right now we’re not there. Obviously we’ve got to make some improvements, especially from this past week, but I’m certainly confident that we’ll be where we always are, or better.”

Where the Jets always are — at least under Ryan — has generally been in the NFL’s year-end top-five. But last season, that wasn’t the case, as they ranked eighth. They’ve slipped in each year of Ryan’s tenure; in 2011, they ranked fifth. In 2010, they were third. In 2009, they were first.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get caught up in the rankings. They are all relative. In general there are very few good defenses nowadays. Just get the stops when we need them and don't blow any leads God forbid we should have any.

But based on what we have seen thus far I would be shocked if we finished in the Top 10. Whatever than means. A lot of youth and inexperience and it is not always addition by subtraction, especially in the short term.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could not agree more DDNY. Why he says this is beyond me but I just don't think it motivates players and will make Ryan look like a fool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Could not agree more DDNY. Why he says this is beyond me but I just don't think it motivates players and will make Ryan look like a fool.
    Yet another reason why this man must go. He NEVER learns from past mistakes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    And yet, he continues to deliver good defenses, go figure.

When fans cry about Rex, it's mostly because they don't like what the media is saying about him, or their buddies from other teams are saying, who are only getting their views from the media.

Here's an idea, lets stop worrying about what the media tries to spin for us, and who cares what fans across the country think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And yet, he continues to deliver good defenses, go figure.
    And yet ... Never good enough ... Rankings mean NOtHING ... It's all about point allowed in this league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex just can't help himself. After being unable to coach up anyone other than 1st round draft picks he needs to shut his trap & develop some of these defenders that were not 1st round picks, Davis, the safeties, Ellis, Nickerson.
    Hopefully the slip on defense is a factor of the offense being so horrible & putting to much pressure on the D.
    If MM gets this O into the middle of the pack, Rex will have no excuses if this defense slips out of the top 10 after such bold statements to the media. I'm from the faction that says "show me" don't "tell me" what your gonna be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He says this every year. Nothing to see here. Move along people.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the ringmaster is up to his old tricks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am convinced that even if Vince Lombardi were our coach, there would be people on this board spewing hatred at him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. the Jets D has slipped on the ranking each year under Rex.

And I keep hearing he's a genius.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this would be the time to make such a declaration, after they looked terrible against blaine gabbert.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Interesting. the Jets D has slipped on the ranking each year under Rex. And I keep hearing he's a genius.
    Some realize his Baltimore defenses would have been average if he wasn't handed players like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, Suggs and others.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Some realize his Baltimore defenses would have been average if he wasn't handed players like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, Suggs and others.
    This should be part of any fair analysis of Rex's "defensive genius". It is nice to coach Defense when your "I" is Ngata-Lewis-Reed and you have Suggs coming off the edge and McAlister locking people down on the outside.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I am convinced that even if Vince Lombardi were our coach, there would be people on this board spewing hatred at him.
    Probably. But make no mistake Rex is not and will never be Lombardi.

Who's wouldn't? Every great defense has great players. Has any of Belicheck's defense ever been good without good players? You guys have been the bottom of the barrel on D for quite some time now because the players he keeps drafting essentially suck. A more telling figure would be a defense full of good players that still sucks. Mangini's D in 2008 comes to mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Interesting. the Jets D has slipped on the ranking each year under Rex.

And I keep hearing he's a genius.
    He is a very good Defensive coach. Aging players cost him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah and the pats wouldn't have won any lombardi's if they didn't cheat for all those years. hell you and fatf*ck wouldn't even be pats fans if it wasn't for spygate. LOL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    defensive ranking >>>>>>>>>>> winning games, championships

Some "head coach" we've got.

This guy hangs his hat on consolation prizes like AFC Championship appearances / losses and defensive rankings. That's an underwhelming step down from those SuperBowls and meeting the President moments that were once promised.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The term genius has no place in football. Including in Foxboro.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Yeah and the pats wouldn't have won any lombardi's if they didn't cheat for all those years. hell you and fatf*ck wouldn't even be pats fans if it wasn't for spygate. LOL
    Everbody did it and me and FF have been around long enough to be Pats fans likely before you were born.