Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mornhinweg is Leaning Toward Sanchez?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...k_sanchez.html

I might be reading into this too much but I saw a bunch come over Twitter earlier today from the interviews, Lee seems straight up, MM sounds like he more comfortable with Sanchez and it will take a miracle for Smith to come in starting week 1.

And if one player doesn’t elevate himself?

“Certainly, there’s a lot of variables involved, and you go with some instincts there as well,” Mornhinweg said.

“We’ll see,” Mornhinweg said. “I probably put a little bit less thought into it than you suspect. Mark has had a terrific camp. He’s had some dips there. Geno’s had an outstanding camp for a rookie. He’s just had a little bit more than a couple of plays in a preseason game. We’ll see what happens in this next ball game.

Tell me what you think.
    Don't read it the same way you do.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I would not read anything into these comments other than they want both QBs to think the competition is ongoing.

Also, competition or night if they were really leaning towards Sanchez he would start game 3, they wouldn't just uphold the competition for competition sake. They are giving Geno the opportunity to win it. Thinking anything else is ridiculous.
    So the CS wants both QBs to think the competition is ongoing...even though they wouldn't keep the competition going for competition's sake.

I feel your disappointment, man. I'm disappointed too. But it is what it is. Geno is going to need a big-time performance on Saturday in order to come out of the gates as the starter in Week 1.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    this is getting confusing.

first, we were told there was a Rex-driven conspiracy to name Sanchez the starter no matter what and that the competition was fixed.

then, Manish comes out and confirms that there IS a conspiracy, but it's being perpetuated by Woody/Idzik to give Geno the starting spot.

now, it appears that MM is behind the conspiracy after all, but he wants to give the job to Mark.

LOLWHUT
    This.

Unless its a conspiracy of a conspiracy with everyone conspiring against each other in Florham Park like a Game of Thrones episode.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you start Sanchez in Week 1 and he invariably falters either in that game or in the next game or two, it's easy to go to Geno and then NEVER look back. In other words, when Sanchez comes out in Week 2 or Week 3 and has one of his 5-14, 2 INTs in the First Half kinda games, the Jets can make the switch to Geno and, even if Geno isn't very good or makes a few mistakes, no one will clamor for Sanchez to start again.

BUT, if you start Geno in Week 1 and let's say he has a bad, rookie kinda game or a bad first two weeks, what do you do? Do you go to Sanchez and totally demoralize Geno? And then even if Sanchez is his normal mediocre self (17 of 30, 1 TD, 1 INT, 220 yards passing) how and when do you go back to Geno? You really can't.

Start Sanchez in Week 1 and wait for him to give you the excuse to pull him (which we all know is just a matter of time). Then Geno comes in and the message is simple, "you can't be any worse than the last guy, just go out and play. And, even if you make some mistakes, relax....this is your team now and it will grow with you."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    If you start Sanchez in Week 1 and he invariably falters either in that game or in the next game or two, it's easy to go to Geno and then NEVER look back. In other words, when Sanchez comes out in Week 2 or Week 3 and has one of his 5-14, 2 INTs in the First Half kinda games, the Jets can make the switch to Geno and, even if Geno isn't very good or makes a few mistakes, no one will clamor for Sanchez to start again.

BUT, if you start Geno in Week 1 and let's say he has a bad, rookie kinda game or a bad first two weeks, what do you do? Do you go to Sanchez and totally demoralize Geno? And then even if Sanchez is his normal mediocre self (17 of 30, 1 TD, 1 INT, 220 yards passing) how and when do you go back to Geno? You really can't.

Start Sanchez in Week 1 and wait for him to give you the excuse to pull him (which we all know is just a matter of time). Then Geno comes in and the message is simple, "you can't be any worse than the last guy, just go out and play. And, even if you make some mistakes, relax....this is your team now and it will grow with you."
    No way my friend......Once you go Geno, you dont go back.
    There will never BE a Sanchez rebound.

No, you go Geno, and expect some big time growing pains. If he shows signs of promise despite those growing pains, then great, hes a work in progress.

If Geno steps in, does horrendous, with no real signs of improvement, nor playmaking ability, you start looking towards the '14 QB draft class.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Totally agree. I'm expecting that to happen about week 7-9.
    If it does more likely to happen earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    How much water can this hold when it's Marty's first year with Sanchez? Unless he is counseling with Schotty & Sparano (in which case we are in REALLY deep ....).
    There's this new invention of the 20th century - called game tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

No, you go Geno, and expect some big time growing pains. If he shows signs of promise despite those growing pains, then great, hes a work in progress.

If Geno steps in, does horrendous, with no real signs of improvement, nor playmaking ability, you start looking towards the '14 QB draft class.
    first of all, that's racist.

second, in order to "go Geno," Geno's got to earn it. after years of supposedly coddling Sanchez and never making him earn the job the hard way, it would be absurd to make the same mistake with Smith.

and it's not like the Jets are asking Geno to perform some insurmountable task -- he's just got to beat Mark Sanchez in a QB competition. the same Mark Sanchez who some believe is the "worst starting QB in NFL history" and who is fondly remembered around these parts as Suckchez, LOLChez, Intchez and Buttfumble6.

if Geno isn't yet at the point in his development at which he can outright win the job, it's better to go with Sanchez early on and just wait it out. barring a miracle (and i mean an actual Act of God), Mark will most likely falter and revert to the flawed QB we have seen the past 2 years, like jetstream said. when that happens, you "go Geno" and you'll be 100% justified in doing so.

Banned
    Marty is not leaning toward Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    In the interview last week MM seemed like he was leaning away from Sanchez and said Sanchez needs to be able to play at a consistently high level which he hasn't.

I would not read anything into these comments other than they want both QBs to think the competition is ongoing. Does anyone really expect them to come right out and say " If Geno plays well than he wins the job"

No way they are doing that. What they are doing though is laying the groundwork to come out and say on Sunday or Monday "Geno really separated himself in that game"

These comments are very very similar to the comments made about Flynn and Wilson before the third game last year.

We just have to see how Geno plays. If he plays 2 quarters at a high level, I just see no way they go back to Sanchez. Also, competition or night if they were really leaning towards Sanchez he would start game 3, they wouldn't just uphold the competition for competition sake. They are giving Geno the opportunity to win it. Thinking anything else is ridiculous.

No, they aren't, they extended the competition a week, because Smith hurt his leg. Thinking anything else, is ridiculous. Lee already said that if Geno does play well, he may need another week to win the job.

There will never be a Drew Brees rebound, how about Eli Manning, Alex Smith. The NFL is littered with QB's whose careers were resurrected with a change in system or team. Those saying it can't happen are just wishing it won't based on their displeasure with Sanchez. Earlier there was talk about Vlad Ducasse starting and doing very well this year. If you've read the boards the past few years you would have thought he was the biggest bust to ever play NFL football Coaching and systems are more suited to certain players , I'm not saying Sanchez will be a Bress or Manning etc, all I'm saying is he has just as much chance of turning it around under MM & Lee than Geno has at becoming a true franchise QB and no that's not a dig at Geno.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

I get this. And I hope this is the case. But, still, thinking about going through those first 2-4 weeks with Sanchez is downright sickening.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Marty is not leaning toward Sanchez
    And you are basing this upon what exactly?

I'm hoping that Marty has seen enough Jets footage of the last 4 years go to with Smith. That being said, I think it's going to be Sanchez. Week 1, home opener in front of a packed house, a crowd of boisterous, rowdy fans looking forward to a new year of football after the disaster that was last year, with Revis set to play (you can be sure he is chomping at the bit) - it just seems like the perfect storm of factors for Sanchez to have one of his epically disastrous games. The volume of the boos that will rain down on Sanchez as he throws multiple int's into the arms of defensive lineman, or, god forbid, Revis, will be deafening and for the record books.

I think the power of destiny will demand that Sanchez start that game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    And you are basing this upon what exactly?
    Common sense. Ever hear of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That may very well be, however, that's not how the NFL works in this scenario.
    Yes it is. Sh*tty QBs lose their jobs to rookies all the time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    first of all, that's racist.

second, in order to "go Geno," Geno's got to earn it. after years of supposedly coddling Sanchez and never making him earn the job the hard way, it would be absurd to make the same mistake with Smith.

and it's not like the Jets are asking Geno to perform some insurmountable task -- he's just got to beat Mark Sanchez in a QB competition. the same Mark Sanchez who some believe is the "worst starting QB in NFL history" and who is fondly remembered around these parts as Suckchez, LOLChez, Intchez and Buttfumble6.

if Geno isn't yet at the point in his development at which he can outright win the job, it's better to go with Sanchez early on and just wait it out. barring a miracle (and i mean an actual Act of God), Mark will most likely falter and revert to the flawed QB we have seen the past 2 years, like jetstream said. when that happens, you "go Geno" and you'll be 100% justified in doing so.
    Of course Geno has to beat out Mark on the playing field. im not all twittered out, but i thought the PS stats were leaning in Genos direction by a slim margin?

Either way, yes, i agree Geno needs to beat him out on the field, and the next 2 weeks seem to really be needed for him to prove that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    There will never be a Drew Brees rebound, how about Eli Manning, Alex Smith. The NFL is littered with QB's whose careers were resurrected with a change in system or team. Those saying it can't happen are just wishing it won't based on their displeasure with Sanchez. Earlier there was talk about Vlad Ducasse starting and doing very well this year. If you've read the boards the past few years you would have thought he was the biggest bust to ever play NFL football Coaching and systems are more suited to certain players , I'm not saying Sanchez will be a Bress or Manning etc, all I'm saying is he has just as much chance of turning it around under MM & Lee than Geno has at becoming a true franchise QB and no that's not a dig at Geno.
    Its obvious we have different opinions on the vitality of Sanchez. No problem there, agree to disagree. I think he is absolutely a dead duck. Maybe im wrong.

As far as the Vlad Ducasse bit, well, im not buying that either. There are these tidbits thrown out evry year about past signings "upping their game in camp".
    With Vlad, his body of work has been so disappointing, im gonna need to see it with my own eyes. I hope to hell its true, because it would be a big turnaround, and its an area of need right now.

All Pro
    Of course Geno has to beat out Mark on the playing field. im not all twittered out, but i thought the PS stats were leaning in Genos direction by a slim margin?

Either way, yes, i agree Geno needs to beat him out on the field, and the next 2 weeks seem to really be needed for him to prove that.
    And, if the competition is close between the two, i say you vote Geno. If a 4 year Vet with playoff experience cant beat out a rookie by a decisive lead, that says something about the incumbent.

All Pro
    Geno only has 6 snaps so far in preseason. There's no way he can be leading the competition. He'll get almost 3 quarters in the Giants game. If he plays well he'll start. If he doesn't he won't.