Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mornhinweg is Leaning Toward Sanchez?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez starts, which I expect he will, the "I'm not watching any Jets games while Sanchez is teh QB!!!1!" threads should be quite amusing

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It means they're not going to throw Geno to the wolves against Tampa and New England... If Sanchez plays well and the Jets win those games Sanchez can keep Geno on the bench. So it's a battle of Sanchez trying to keep his job and Geno trying to take it after Week 2 unless Sanchez plays really bad then it's Geno's job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Have you ever heard athletes saying that the game has finally slowed down for them, practicing versus facing live competition is a completely different animal. Is it possible Geno is a quick learner and impervious to that scenario -its possible , but I 'm not sure how that can be judged by 1 quarter of live action so far. My guess is just like the first pre-season game the CS wants to see how Geno reacts to certain scenarios and with new installations. I believe its a true learning exercise and like others said unless Geno aces his exam , Sanchez will be named the starter.
    I just don;t buy that. I think if Geno puts in a comparable or better performance than Sanchez has in the game Saturday he will be leading the competition and likely week 1 starter, though I think they will delay the announcement until Thursday or so.

There seems to be this sentiment here that the Jets are primarily starting Geno just to even out the competition but that Sanchez still has the distinct advantage. I just do not see that. If that were the case, Sanchez would start and Geno would get extensive work in the second half and in the fourth game. But he is starting the third game and that is very significant. I do not believe they would start any QB in the third game unless they felt good about him being the Day 1 starter. In addition people are also ignoring some of the other comments Lee made yesterday:

Footwork [has] gotten better. It struggled big time in that last week in Cortland when he got hurt and pushed through those practices,” quarterback coach David Lee said. “It really affected his footwork. We felt like he went backwards a little bit but he pushed through it. But from a mental standpoint, we feel like he got mentally tougher from it. And now today was by far the quickest and best that he’s looked.”

Lee praised Smith for his audibles at the line in Thursday’s practice, which he cited as proof of the quarterback’s continued grasp of the Jets’ West Coast offense.

As far as handicapping the competition, Lee said it was “too close to call.”

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/20....CTEsAOZj.dpuf

Nothing there sounds like Lee is leaning to Sanchez. In fact it seems like he is saying Geno is really blooming and getting it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Protect Geno against NE and Tampa?
    Really William? Come on, there are beasts on every NFL Defense.
    We know what we have with Mark, lets take a roll of the dice with Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    It means they're not going to throw Geno to the wolves against Tampa and New England... If Sanchez plays well and the Jets win those games Sanchez can keep Geno on the bench. So it's a battle of Sanchez trying to keep his job and Geno trying to take it after Week 2 unless Sanchez plays really bad then it's Geno's job.
    The "wolves" of New England.... LOLZ!!! DOUBLE LOLZ!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I understand your points, just dont agree with them.
    To me, it comes down to a level of expectation. Yes, assuming (and hoping) Geno plays well tomorrow and beyond, you play him, and expect to take some major lumps. IMO, those lumps are going to come regardless of his bench learning.
    Play him, expect hardships, and hope for flashes of greatness from Geno.

Im sure its different, but i learned the best in my career by getting in there and doing it.
    And now look at you. All grown up and stuff.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And now look at you. All grown up and stuff.
    LOL.
    Only im lacking the wisdom that usually comes along with it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    If Sanchez starts, which I expect he will, the "I'm not watching any Jets games while Sanchez is teh QB!!!1!" threads should be quite amusing
    Trust me they'll be watching, waiting for the first pick or fumble to unleash their wrath.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I just don;t buy that. I think if Geno puts in a comparable or better performance than Sanchez has in the game Saturday he will be leading the competition and likely week 1 starter, though I think they will delay the announcement until Thursday or so.

There seems to be this sentiment here that the Jets are primarily starting Geno just to even out the competition but that Sanchez still has the distinct advantage. I just do not see that. If that were the case, Sanchez would start and Geno would get extensive work in the second half and in the fourth game. But he is starting the third game and that is very significant. I do not believe they would start any QB in the third game unless they felt good about him being the Day 1 starter. In addition people are also ignoring some of the other comments Lee made yesterday:

Footwork [has] gotten better. It struggled big time in that last week in Cortland when he got hurt and pushed through those practices,” quarterback coach David Lee said. “It really affected his footwork. We felt like he went backwards a little bit but he pushed through it. But from a mental standpoint, we feel like he got mentally tougher from it. And now today was by far the quickest and best that he’s looked.”

Lee praised Smith for his audibles at the line in Thursday’s practice, which he cited as proof of the quarterback’s continued grasp of the Jets’ West Coast offense.

As far as handicapping the competition, Lee said it was “too close to call.”

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/20....CTEsAOZj.dpuf

Nothing there sounds like Lee is leaning to Sanchez. In fact it seems like he is saying Geno is really blooming and getting it

How else are the Jets going to evaluate Geno vs a real live defense, this is the last chance to really see him against #1's . One quarter of a game is just not enough.

Everyone brings up he looked good in practices etc.. Keep in mind some of the practices this week were walkthroughs and scout teams in shells no less. Even with live practices the players are going hard to some extent but they're not gonna pressure the QB like an opposing team would( maybe with the exception of Cro ). Geno hasn't faced the fire yet , but you deem him ready, I just don't see how he can be ready to face a real live defense and I don't care about his 4 years of college ball. Unless he's playing Bama or another top SEC team at best he played against two or three star players per game. In the NFL every defender is a star. Let him learn , his time will come, he's not an RG3 or Luck and Russell Wilson's are flukes that happen once every what 5-10 years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    LOL.
    Only im lacking the wisdom that usually comes along with it.
    You need more time in The Hampur I guess

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    It isn't a bad thing for Mark to start and bring Geno in when Mark falters. The Geno era will then start.
    2nd quarter against Bucs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How else are the Jets going to evaluate Geno vs a real live defense, this is the last chance to really see him against #1's . One quarter of a game is just not enough.

Everyone brings up he looked good in practices etc.. Keep in mind some of the practices this week were walkthroughs and scout teams in shells no less. Even with live practices the players are going hard to some extent but they're not gonna pressure the QB like an opposing team would( maybe with the exception of Cro ). Geno hasn't faced the fire yet , but you deem him ready, I just don't see how he can be ready to face a real live defense and I don't care about his 4 years of college ball. Unless he's playing Bama or another top SEC team at best he played against two or three star players per game. In the NFL every defender is a star. Let him learn , his time will come, he's not an RG3 or Luck and Russell Wilson's are flukes that happen once every what 5-10 years.
    Way to completely miss the point again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol @ abandoning the team if Mark starts.

I'll be disappointed if he does and won't enjoy watching him make mistake after mistake, but that's no reason to quit watching all together. Just watch and hope the rest of the team can overcome his play.

#yoloswag

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol @ abandoning the team if Mark starts.

I'll be disappointed if he does and won't enjoy watching him make mistake after mistake, but that's no reason to quit watching all together. Just watch and hope the rest of the team can overcome his play.

#yoloswag
    You go it!

Exactly the same as the last 4 years!

But.... IF, god forbid, Sanchez starts... I will have ZERO faith in him whatsoever.

I'll try to have faith in Marty and hope he can overcome this horrible mistake of ours.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 08-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yeah. I've said before that regardless of who he starts, in Marty I trust.

#yoloswag

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to completely miss the point again
    There's only one point with you so why bother.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, yeah. I've said before that regardless of who he starts, in Marty I trust.

#yoloswag
    Ha I'm excited this guy is here but want to see how he handles the jets in 1 game at least before I say I trust him he had some good weapons in his past days at OC.. I think our running game is much stronger than last yr, Powell looks better, ivory is a bull, Goodson may be a good 3 when ( or if) he plays.. Line is def better.. I know Marty loves to pass but I will trust him when I see him calling plays at strength of team not at what plays he likes the most..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's only one point with you so why bother.
    And theres only 1 point with you. For some reason you are convinced Geno is not ready and that the Jets also know this so Sanchez will start. My point is that if that were true they would name Sanchez the starter and have him start game 3 as those reps are very valuable. They would not just even up the starts to keep the competition going. But they are starting Geno, so that points the Jets to feeling from what they see in practice that there is a good chance he is ready, and if he shows that in the preseason game he will start. I don't see why people are not seeing that other than just wanting Sanchez to start, either because they are a fan or because they are convinced for whatever reason that Geno has to sit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And theres only 1 point with you. For some reason you are convinced Geno is not ready and that the Jets also know this so Sanchez will start. My point is that if that were true they would name Sanchez the starter and have him start game 3 as those reps are very valuable. They would not just even up the starts to keep the competition going. But they are starting Geno, so that points the Jets to feeling from what they see in practice that there is a good chance he is ready, and if he shows that in the preseason game he will start. I don't see why people are not seeing that other than just wanting Sanchez to start, either because they are a fan or because they are convinced for whatever reason that Geno has to sit.
    I'm not going to change your mind, believe what you want to believe. If the Jets decide that Geno's ready and start him week 1 , I'll comeback and eat my crow, till then neither of us is wrong.