Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good thing the Jets didn't hire Bill Cowher

Eh, I'm not that high on Cowher with QB duties, because he's a defensive, run the ball guy, that was never an offensive guru or genius. Not like his offenses were consistently in the top 10 year in year out. He had two years in Pitt where his passing TDs were in the top 10 in the league. Ditto for Yards from QBs as well. He's a "lets run the ball over and over again, and make minimal throws with the QB as possible" coach. More so, he was right around average or outside the top 10 in overall offense as well. It's sort of like Rex saying, who he likes at Qb. Overall coach? Great guy and would have no problem if he took over the team at some point in the future. But he's not a coach that was a wizard on offense to take his opinion too highly over any other talking head out there.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Of course. Sanchez is garbage but this team is going nowhere anyway. No reason to throw a rookie to the wolves (Revis week 1, Pats on 3 days rest) when he can sit back and learn for at least a few games.

As for Cowher, yes, what a great thing that the Jets kept Tannenbaum instead of going after a perennial winner like Cowher, who wanted to bring his own GM. When he takes over the Giants next year after Coughlin resigns, we can all laugh at their stupidity.
    Right on

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think Cowher is massively overrated as a coach but I agree with him here. The very best outcome of this season for me would be this.

Sanchez starts most if not all of the games and plays well. Smith sits and learns for a year. The Jets smartly dump Sanchez on some unsuspecting team for a draft pick. We look at the draft and if there is a prime Qb there for us and it makes sense drat another QB.
    + Biggest Number Possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jets Insider VIP
    Interesting I wonder what this thread would have read like had Cowher had said that Sanchez was awful and Geno should start!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Interesting I wonder what this thread would have read like had Cowher had said that Sanchez was awful and Geno should start!!!
    It's interesting to see so many people so quick to dismiss Cowher's opinion.

It also appears many others missed the "" in the thread title.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Pretty much the same posts just with the names switched.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Of course. Whenever you can pass on the opportunity to hire a guy with 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win), like 5 AFC title games, and too many division titles to count, you have to do it. Who wouldn't want Mike Tannenbaum instead of Bill Cowher? I mean, really.
    You mean other than Cowher didn't want to come here. Then you might have a point instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You mean other than Cowher didn't want to come here. Then you might have a point instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.
    +1

How easily people forget!

Oh, we've had this conversation before? Then you remember that he "didn't want to come here" once Woody said Tannenbaum was part of the deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Oh, we've had this conversation before? Then you remember that he "didn't want to come here" once Woody said Tannenbaum was part of the deal.
    Guess you don't get the unemployed guy going into an interview deal. Who the hell is Cowher, where and how does he tell the Jets that he wants to be HC and GM? Wants their GM fired so that he can have the job. He's never, ever been a GM but he wanted to come in for an interview and dictate what he would settle for? Woody was right to stick to his guns and tell him what the deal is here. Don't like it, too bad. Fu(k him. He's a good HC, nothing more, who has had more disappointments than success.

As soon as he came here and went 8-8 everyone who sang his praises, wanted to give him the keys to the city would be trying to run him out of town the same way they turned on Herm, Mangini and Rex.

Guess you don't get the unemployed guy going into an interview deal. Who the hell is Cowher, where and how does he tell the Jets that he wants to be HC and GM? Wants their GM fired so that he can have the job. He's never, ever been a GM but he wanted to come in for an interview and dictate what he would settle for? Woody was right to stick to his guns and tell him what the deal is here. Don't like it, too bad. Fu(k him. He's a good HC, nothing more, who has had more disappointments than success.

As soon as he came here and went 8-8 everyone who sang his praises, wanted to give him the keys to the city would be trying to run him out of town the same way they turned on Herm, Mangini and Rex.

Or, how about this: he was a product of a winning organization who knew mediocrity when he saw it. Just like Parcells and Bellichick both went screaming for the door after meeting Woody, Cowher probably realized he couldn't win here without bringing in his own people. And how did keeping Tanny around for so long work out, by the way?

He's a good HC, nothing more, who has had more disappointments than success.
    Not sure what your standard of success is, but 8 division titles in 15 years, with 10 playoff appearances, 2 SBs (winning 1) is pretty f'ing successful in my book. I am in my 40s and the Jets have won 2 division titles IN MY LIFETIME - under at least a dozen head coaches - and never appeared in a SB.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/CowhBi0.htm

How anyone can bash Bill Cowher is beyond me. Only our sick and twisted homer fans would agree with Woody's decision to turn his back on Cowher in favor of Tannenbaum. Any sane person who follows the NFL would only laugh, like they always do at the Jets. Only on this board could this conversation even exist.

The only sadder thing than this conversation will be watching Cowher go back to the playoffs repeatedly when he is coaching the Giants after this year.
    Last edited by Toooon; 08-24-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Not sure what your standard of success is, but 8 division titles in 15 years, with 10 playoff appearances, 2 SBs (winning 1) is pretty f'ing successful in my book. I am in my 40s and the Jets have won 2 division titles IN MY LIFETIME - under at least a dozen head coaches - and never appeared in a SB.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/CowhBi0.htm

How anyone can bash Bill Cowher is beyond me. Only our sick and twisted homer fans would agree with Woody's decision to turn his back on Cowher in favor of Tannenbaum. Any sane person who follows the NFL would only laugh, like they always do at the Jets. Only on this board could this conversation even exist.
    Right, Andy Reid sucks too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Cowher's insanely overrated. He rode Dick Lebeau's genius to a Super Bowl. Not worth whatever he would need to coach again.
    And he'd be an instant upgrade at HC for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And he'd be an instant upgrade at HC for the Jets.
    Hhahahahh..............

So right, and I don't even like Cowher as a HC!!!!

And no I don't want Rex fired!!!!!

But people out here keep acting like talking tough and having a good defense is enough to make you a very good HC!!! It doesn't...

Again I don't want Rex fired but to act like he wasn't responsible for OC Sparano and coach Cav is beyond preposterous!!!! 85% of this board knew coach Cav was hurting Sanchez' development. Yet this was all lost on a HC who was charged with monitoring such things.

Yes Cowher had his Kordell Stewart fiasco but one thing he never did was lose focus on that side of the ball. He didn't in fact "lose" the locker room as Rex has admitted he did...

But Jets fans said we had the best GM in the business in Tanny boy who can't even get a whiff at an NFL gig and now Cowher bashing... All so silly...
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Sanchez is like Joe Montana compared to just about every qb Cowher was forced to work with prior to Rapistburger. Any NFL fan over 15 yrs old is well aware of that.