Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 5 NFL Teams Most Likely To Be Blacked Out In 2013

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

5 NFL Teams Most Likely To Be Blacked Out In 2013

5 NFL Teams Most Likely To Be Blacked Out In 2013

... The NFL blacked out 15 games last year. That's down from 16 in 2011 and 26 in 2010, but is still impressive after the NFL tweaked its blackout policy last summer to allow teams to declare a sellout and keep games on the air once ticket sales hit 85% of their home stadium's capacity. Under the old rule, which dates back to an act of Congress in 1961, home games couldn't be shown on TV stations that broadcast within a 75-mile radius of the stadium if non-premium tickets weren't completely sold out 72 hours before kickoff.

That switch wasn't mandatory, however, and it was up to the teams' owners to decide if they want to adopt that 85% threshold and pay a greater percentage of ticket revenue to opposing teams as a result. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers jumped at the chance in July and lowered ticket prices after blacking out 13 of their past 15 home games. The Oakland Raiders, Miami Dolphins and Minnesota Vikings also joined in, but that didn't prevent two of those four teams from blacking out games in 2012.

Those who vow that things will be different this year point to a bill introduced by former presidential nominee and Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain. McCain's legislation would require the NFL to broadcast all home games locally in markets where teams have used public financing to build stadiums, which is almost everywhere.
    "Now, if that stadium is not taxpayer-financed, then that owner can do anything they want to," McCain said. "But if the taxpayers paid for them, then, by God, I think the taxpayers ought to be able to see the game whether they sell out the stadium or not."...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12011...o&cm_ven=YAHOO

talk about it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be the usual suspects - Bills, Bucs, Raiders, etc. Nothing all that surprising to be honest. Sucks that teams can't sell 85% of their tickets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the point of the blacked out rule . It's being broadcasted regardless so why black out ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    I don't understand the point of the blacked out rule . It's being broadcasted regardless so why black out ?
    It was to get fans in ****ty markets like Tampa Bay and Buffalo to buy tickets and go to the game, rather than watch from home and have a half full stadium.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea is to get people into the stadiums. They don't want people staying home and watching the game, when tickets are available and they live within driving distance of the games. Its the same for all sports not just the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To sell tickets. If the games are blacked out fans will go to games.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not locally.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    It was to get fans in ****ty markets like Tampa Bay and Buffalo to buy tickets and go to the game, rather than watch from home and have a half full stadium.
    Most people don't understand the diffences in markets. Buffalo is just a smaller and less populated region. Florida, on the other hand, has plenty of population and huge sports fans. The major difference is Florida if full of transplants. Most of us remain loyal to our teams from up north. I am originally from NY, lived most of my life in Southwest Florida, but lived in South Jersey right out of Philly for awhile. Was in Florida even before Philly. I am a huge Mets and Jets fan, not Bucs or Dolphins. In Philly, eveybody is diehard Eagles/Flyers/Phillies. In Florida, everybody is a fan of a different team.

Philly is a little funny as you may have random huge Dallas fans who have never set foot in Texas, probably because they hate being surrounded by Eagles fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez starts, I'm going to be blacked out too

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Post of the Year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    Most people don't understand the diffences in markets. Buffalo is just a smaller and less populated region. Florida, on the other hand, has plenty of population and huge sports fans. The major difference is Florida if full of transplants. Most of us remain loyal to our teams from up north. I am originally from NY, lived most of my life in Southwest Florida, but lived in South Jersey right out of Philly for awhile. Was in Florida even before Philly. I am a huge Mets and Jets fan, not Bucs or Dolphins. In Philly, eveybody is diehard Eagles/Flyers/Phillies. In Florida, everybody is a fan of a different team.

Philly is a little funny as you may have random huge Dallas fans who have never set foot in Texas, probably because they hate being surrounded by Eagles fans.
    True. The Rays can't even fill their stadium with the success they've had, so I get Florida. But Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seats 73,000, which means they have to sell 62,000 tickets to avoid a blackout. Its not THAT small an area, plus they can and do draw from Toronto. Besides, what else is there to do in Buffalo on a Sunday in the fall and winter?

Plus, the rules for blackouts have become so flexible, its not hard to get around them. I hate to say it, but if these teams can't sell 85% of their seats, or fake their way there, maybe its time to look at relocating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Jaguars??? Weren't they blacked out for over half their home games a year or 2 ago?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    40369343_zps8e4afcc3.jpg