Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Harris slower than ever .. Why.? Will opposing TE's run us ragged again.?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question David Harris slower than ever .. Why.? Will opposing TE's run us ragged again.?

=Get Healthy and Get Fast: The Jets supposedly addressed the problem of speed on defense this off season (as a reaction to the Patriots breakneck hurry up offense). Demario Davis took over for Bart ‘The Slug’ Scott, Quinton Coples and Kenrick Ellis were supposed to add speed to the spots vacated by Pouha and Thomas, Davis Harris was supposed have a bounce back year, and Antwan Barnes was supposed to relieve Calvin Pace. However, both Ellis and Coples are now injured, Harris looks slower than ever, and Pace is getting an inexplicable number of reps over Barnes. The Jets had a plan this season. Use the versatility and speed of players like Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Ellis, Davis, and Barnes to create a front seven that could handle the tempo of a hurry up, while allowing the back end to do their thing. Coples and Ellis need to get healthy and Barnes needs to see more of the field if the Jets defense is going to be able to keep up with the Patriots, Eagles, and (apparently) Jaguars of the league.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    enough already. He isnt the only one responsible for covering TE's on this team. We cant have all stars at every position. Harris is an above average LB. He has strengths and he has weaknesses like any player.

I dont get the constant hate for Harris.

Enough already. DUMP!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    enough already. He isnt the only one responsible for covering TE's on this team. We cant have all stars at every position. Harris is an above average LB. He has strengths and he has weaknesses like any player.

I dont get the constant hate for Harris.

Enough already. DUMP!
    I don't think people hate Harris the person. But when there were (completely unwarranted) comparisons to Patrick Willis, along with the Patrick Willis sized contract he received, I think it's fair to be disappointed with the fact he's pretty much a slightly better version of Victor Hobson.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris is not a cover guy, he is a physical 3-4 ILB who specializes in stuffing the run and occasionally blitzing the QB. He is decent in zone coverage because he is smart and experienced, but he doesn't have the feet to cover RBs or TEs in man coverage downfield. Not many 3-4 LBs will be cery effective trying to cover RBs or TEs downfield anyway. Get over it.

PS: Ellis and Coples are not "fast" players. Barnes is a speedy guy, but he was brought in to rush the passer, not be an every down OLB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care about Harris' speed.

I'm much more concerned about how he used to be a sure tackler and now can't even wrap guys up half the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the money we are paying harris, he is a total disappointment.

and yes, classic that we are talking about speed and Ellis and Coples come up. HUH?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I don't think people hate Harris the person. But when there were (completely unwarranted) comparisons to Patrick Willis, along with the Patrick Willis sized contract he received, I think it's fair to be disappointed with the fact he's pretty much a slightly better version of Victor Hobson.
    Agree. Those comparisons to Willis were a joke from the start. I was absolutely shocked when the Jets gave Harris that contract without first letting him test the free agent market to get an idea what other teams valued him at. I figured he was going to leave in free agency, and was fine with that since there are always decent ILBs available, and they just don't have a lot of value when it cones to supply and demand, unless you are talking about game changers like Willis, Ray in his prime, and Keuchly. Harris was never in that category and shouldn't have been paid as such.

It was just a horrible contract by Tanny and along with the mind-boggelng Sanchez extention/restructure, played a big part in us losing Revis.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do realize linebackers aren't the only people who cover tight ends right? On the roster there are at least 2 physical safeties who are significantly faster than any TE who can play over the top in zone or in bracketed coverage (Allen/Jarrett). This isn't madden where you play man on man every single time...quit whining about every flaw on this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I'm much more concerned about how he used to be a sure tackler and now can't even wrap guys up half the time.
    He doesn't have a problem wrapping up, he misses tackles when he isn't quick enough to get in proper position in the open field. His missed tackles are always attributed to his lack of quickness/agility, not technique. Big difference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    You do realize linebackers aren't the only people who cover tight ends right? On the roster there are at least 2 physical safeties who are significantly faster than any TE who can play over the top in zone or in bracketed coverage (Allen/Jarrett). This isn't madden where you play man on man every single time...quit whining about every flaw on this team.
    Exactly, if any team thinks they are covering modern day TEs downfield with an LB they are going to get beat like a drum. Today you cover TEs with a Safety.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    QFT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight is 20/20. I think some people forget how good he was in 07-09 -- he was never going to be Patrick Willis be he absolutley looked like a Pro Bowl caliber ILB. Obviously his contract is a killer at this point but it is what it is -- he's a good guy who plays hard we just overpaid him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While he was never on the level of a Willis type player, Harris was a beast early on in his career and thought he would of benefited the most (along with Rhodes at the time, ironically) with the hiring of Rex. I remember Harris lighting up Texans in Rex's first game here. .... but for whatever the reason he hasn't been the player he looked like he would turn into 3-4 years ago IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. I think some people forget how good he was in 07-09 -- he was never going to be Patrick Willis be he absolutley looked like a Pro Bowl caliber ILB. Obviously his contract is a killer at this point but it is what it is -- he's a good guy who plays hard we just overpaid him.
    People seem to want to blame HIM for that...
    He never held out, NEVER bltched about his contract, watched his teammates get new deals all around him, kept his mouth shut and went to work.

Blame Tannenbum if you're mad about contracts. And his is NOWHERE near as bad as what he gave Sanchez!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I think his lack of speed is causing the missed tackles. He isn't getting to the ball carrier at the best angle. He is still solid but for the money we are paying he is a colossal disappointment. You can't blame the system, for the money he is getting he should be a difference maker.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    =Get Healthy and Get Fast: The Jets supposedly addressed the problem of speed on defense this off season (as a reaction to the Patriots breakneck hurry up offense). Demario Davis took over for Bart ‘The Slug’ Scott, Quinton Coples and Kenrick Ellis were supposed to add speed to the spots vacated by Pouha and Thomas, Davis Harris was supposed have a bounce back year, and Antwan Barnes was supposed to relieve Calvin Pace. However, both Ellis and Coples are now injured, Harris looks slower than ever, and Pace is getting an inexplicable number of reps over Barnes. The Jets had a plan this season. Use the versatility and speed of players like Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Ellis, Davis, and Barnes to create a front seven that could handle the tempo of a hurry up, while allowing the back end to do their thing. Coples and Ellis need to get healthy and Barnes needs to see more of the field if the Jets defense is going to be able to keep up with the Patriots, Eagles, and (apparently) Jaguars of the league.
    He IS slow, & tired. & if you don't run into his arms he well miss you. & if your a tighten inside the 10, tell your QB to throw it to you cause you'll be in the 2nd move of your TD dance before he catches up to you... HE'S DONE!!!
    WAKE UP ALREADY!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coaches comments and reports actually suggest Harris is in better shape this camp than last, and he had a good first preseason game. Davis will be the cover LB most of the time anyway, when safeties aren't picking up RBs and TEs. Harris is a good player. Also, I have read nothing but good things about Pace in camp, including the apparent return of his ability to set the edge. Use him for 50 percent of the snaps to keep his old legs fresh and he should be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He deserved a contract extension, just not the one that he got. Nobody could have predicted this would happen.

I thought one of his best games ever was the SD playoff game, seemed like he came up and made every tackle after a short pass. Harris' descent is just a microcosm of what has happened to the defense. Rex's first couple of years we were one of the best tackling teams in the NFL.

I don't think he was ever a fast LB but he moved well enough to get the job done and he had good instincts. I think the whole lose weight to gain speed thing is a farce.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    these posts are asinine...