Thread: Questionable call to rush Geno?

Questionable call to rush Geno?

ESPN.com

Thursday, August 22, 2013
    Updated: August 23, 3:40 PM ET
    Questionable call to rush rookie Geno
    By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For an organization that wants to be a reflection of its new general manager -- John the Deliberate -- the New York Jets are certainly rushing into dangerous territory. By starting Geno Smith Saturday night against the New York Giants with a plan to play him for at least a half, the Jets are handing the rookie quarterback a gold-plated opportunity to claim the starting job.

This is the third preseason game -- closest thing to the regular season -- and coaches don't like to waste reps on players who can't help the team. They're giving Smith two to three quarters because they believe he has a legitimate chance to unseat Mark Sanchez.

And you have to question the wisdom behind that thinking.

Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith are locked in a head-to-head quarterback battle for the Jets' starting job.

Rex Ryan and his offensive coaches say it wouldn't be a fair competition if they didn't give the kid a long look, but where is it written that all competitions have to be fair? Smith sprained an ankle and it cost him a game. Tough luck, but injuries are part of the game.

So now, instead of using the third game to build chemistry on offense and get comfortable with Marty Mornhinweg's system, the Jets are trotting out a rookie who might or might not be a starting-caliber quarterback in the league. A rookie whose résumé consists of only 14 snaps in the preseason.

If Smith flops and the job goes to Sanchez, the Jets will have wasted 30 or so prime reps against a first-team defense. And they can't make it up in the preseason finale, traditionally a Backup Bowl.

Truth be told, they've been all-in with Smith for the entire week, giving him first-team reps each day. If a stranger parachuted into practice, he'd have assumed Smith is the permanent starter.

What the Jets are really saying is they're desperate to put Sanchez on the bench. Isn't it interesting that owner Woody Johnson tweeted a photo of Smith in Thursday's practice? The tweet said: "Working hard for Saturday."

People who spoke to Johnson after Sanchez's embarrassing performance in Tennessee on Dec. 17 said he was utterly disgusted with his onetime franchise quarterback. They say there was a "never again" look in his eyes.

You can bet Johnson isn't thrilled by the prospect of opening a new season –- at home, no less –- with the same old quarterback getting booed by his PSL-paying customers. He doesn't want that kind of karma in his stadium, and when Johnson doesn't want something -- well, look what he did to Darrelle Revis.

This isn't to suggest that Johnson is picking the quarterback. But the man he picked to run the football operation -- John Idzik -- is the guy who picked Smith in the second round. It's not that hard to figure out.

It's no secret. The Jets had tons of issues heading into training camp.

Based on the current evidence -- it could change Saturday night -– Smith isn't ready to run an NFL offense. He won't pull a Russell Wilson because, unlike the Seattle Seahawks' phenom, Smith has no background with a West Coast offense.

This is brand new, and Smith has a lot to learn about being a quarterback and handling adversity. During his "brutal" practice last week, he asked out, according to a source. Maybe it was because of his ankle or maybe it was because he was disgusted with himself. Or maybe it was both.

Smith needs to mature, and there's no sin in that.

For all his faults, Sanchez is experienced and can help settle the offense as it deals with the inevitable growing pains of a new system. At least he's won in Foxborough, where Bill Belichick will be waiting in Week 2. That's a Thursday night game, meaning only three days of prep -- an enormous challenge for a rookie.

Despite a few glaring mistakes, Sanchez hasn't played his way out of a job. He also hasn't made people forget the 26 turnovers last season. Then again, this preseason isn't about him. It's about Smith and his

But why the rush? It's a long season, and we all know a quarterback change probably will happen at some point. Why force the issue? It belies Idzik's methodical approach. And remember, it would be easier to go from Sanchez to Smith than vice versa.

Maybe Smith will make them look like geniuses with a transcendent game against the Giants. If he's a couple of notches below transcendent -- good, but not convincing in the eyes of the coaches -- it'll still rile up the fan base, pressuring the organization to start Smith. That would make it tougher for Sanchez, if that's possible.

Ryan tried to downplay expectations.

"I don't want to say, 'Look, he has to look like Phil Simms in the Super Bowl,'" he said, alluding to Simms' classic 22-for-25 day in Super Bowl XXI.

If Smith pitches a near-perfect game, it'll make Sanchez the highest-paid backup in the league. It would generate a buzz around the team, and Johnson lives for the buzz. But how many championships has that produced?

This is very simple...

By ALL accounts of everyone who knows anything on the matter...

Geno has been FLYING through the learning curve and in many people's minds (including mine) has FAR more to offer than Sanchez.

He's not being forced. He's worked his ass off and if he starts he will have earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    This is very simple...

Geno has been FLYING through the learning curve and in many people's minds (including mine) has FAR more to offer than Sanchez.

He's not being forced. He's worked his ass off and if he starts he will have earned it.
    Exactly ... No need to rush him onto the field until the season is lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There was an article about the Giants and specifically David Carr this week and it was very interesting and definitely pertinent to our situation.

Carr said that when he was in college (and while it was a years ago, its not like he is talking about 1988), he didnt even have "Hot Receivers", that he literally stood in the shotgun and threw. He basically said that (in addition to being creamed every game) he had to completely learn offense almost from the beginning.

Nowadays, as with Geno, that is not even close to the case. I dont know if he is "ready" or not, but the guy was a 3 year starter in college and has had more then enough lifetime "Reps" to understand what he needs to do at the position.

Personally, what frustrates me the most is that while I dont want to hand him the job, this competition is absurd simply because sanchez has proven how terrible he is and if he didnt have that contract he wouldnt even be on the team. What we could have done (and should if Geno plays well tonight and is named the starter) is simplify our playbook for and add in some of the air raid plays that he is familiar with - just to increase his comfortability. It should be A LOT easier for Marty and Lee to learn 10-15 plays from the WVA playbook then it is to have Geno learn MMs entire WCO playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Exactly ... No need to rush him onto the field until the season is lost.

What?! LOL!

That's not what I'm saying at ALL!

If he plays well tonight I sure as hell hope he starts!

This is very simple...

I hate to let facts get in the way, but the "knock" against Geno (from people who were at practice) is his footwork, pocket presence, command of the huddle -- IOW he has shown the physical ability to play in the league, he just needs to get more reps under his belt.

You can argue those reps should come during a game (I disagree if the coaches don't think he's ready) but regardless he's far from the "obvious choice".

To each his own, but I'm much more in the "let Sanchez hang himself" camp than the "anyone but Mark" one . . .

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There was an article about the Giants and specifically David Carr this week and it was very interesting and definitely pertinent to our situation.

Carr said that when he was in college (and while it was a years ago, its not like he is talking about 1988), he didnt even have "Hot Receivers", that he literally stood in the shotgun and threw. He basically said that (in addition to being creamed every game) he had to completely learn offense almost from the beginning.

Nowadays, as with Geno, that is not even close to the case. I dont know if he is "ready" or not, but the guy was a 3 year starter in college and has had more then enough lifetime "Reps" to understand what he needs to do at the position.

Personally, what frustrates me the most is that while I dont want to hand him the job, this competition is absurd simply because sanchez has proven how terrible he is and if he didnt have that contract he wouldnt even be on the team. What we could have done (and should if Geno plays well tonight and is named the starter) is simplify our playbook for and add in some of the air raid plays that he is familiar with - just to increase his comfortability. It should be A LOT easier for Marty and Lee to learn 10-15 plays from the WVA playbook then it is to have Geno learn MMs entire WCO playbook.
    I actually really think that they are planning on doing this, but they want him to keep that chip on his shoulder and don't want to f*** it up like Sanchez, just handing him the job with zero competition.

Only setback was that bad couple practices and then rolling his ankle. But he bounced RIGHT back.

Can't WAIT to see the kid play tonight.

What?! LOL!

That's not what I'm saying at ALL!

If he plays well tonight I sure as hell hope he starts!
    I know ... Just ribbing ya !

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I hate to let facts get in the way, but the "knock" against Geno (from people who were at practice) is his footwork, pocket presence, command of the huddle -- IOW he has shown the physical ability to play in the league, he just needs to get more reps under his belt.

You can argue those reps should come during a game (I disagree if the coaches don't think he's ready) but regardless he's far from the "obvious choice".

To each his own, but I'm much more in the "let Sanchez hang himself" camp than the "anyone but Mark" one . . .
    I think you're taking my comment a little too far.
    It's more that I think he's already better than Sanchez right now, and ESPECIALLY once he gets the footwork, and huddle command down.
    Sanchez has HORRIBLE Pocket presence and makes even worse decisions.

I might feel different if I hadn't heard of his constant progress seemingly by the minute.

David Lee was praising his footwork already! That's nuts! The guy is smart as hell and he knows the game.

All League
    Starting Geno in a preseason game does not necessarily equate to being rushed. That is nothing more than premature speculation on Cimini's part. Let's see who starts against Tampa Bay, and how well he does, before jumping to this conclusion.

Regardless of who should should start, what I continue to be upset with is the manipulation of our owner in regards to football matters. Whenever he adds his two cents about the team I cringe. He continues to use the media in a manipulative way that hurts the teams chances of being successful. From Favre, to Tebow, to the picture of Geno "working hard", and everything in-between, it is so unbelievably childish and most importantly detrimental to the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Regardless of who should should start, what I continue to be upset with is the manipulation of our owner in regards to football matters. Whenever he adds his two cents about the team I cringe. He continues to use the media in a manipulative way that hurts the teams chances of being successful. From Favre, to Tebow, to the picture of Geno "working hard", and everything in-between, it is so unbelievably childish and most importantly detrimental to the team.
    You mean his team.

Favre was a good move. If he doesn't hurt his shoulder who knows what happens.
    I know I was excited as hell about that trade!
    And if he had stayed Rex' first year I firmly believe we'd have a SB. He just hated Schitty, and wanted to stick it to GB

You are the worst

You base all of your opinions on the corrupt TMZ media all of whom have agendas

And then you whine about it here on the board

When are you going to wake up?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You mean his team.
    Yes, I am asking our owner to stop acting childish using twitter and Fox News to throw out damaging statements that hurts the team. I want him to act as a professional, like almost all owners who have successful teams in any sport.

idk why people assume its rushing Geno, if hes the better QB why not start him? In todays NFL, there is no such thing as rushing a QB. They learn in starts. If the QB sucks, he probably wasn't going to be good anyways.

@BrianCoz: Unofficial camp QB stats: Sanchez - 119-of-197 (60 pct), 13 TD, 6 INT, 16 sacks; Smith - 109-of-173 (63 pct), 18 TD, 6 INT, 16 sacks #nyj

Doesn't look like Geno isn't ready.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, I am asking our owner to stop acting childish using twitter and Fox News to throw out damaging statements that hurts the team. I want him to act as a professional, like almost all owners who have successful teams in any sport.
    Are you ever not whining?

Favre was a good move. If he doesn't hurt his shoulder who knows what happens.
    I know I was excited as hell about that trade!
    And if he had stayed Rex' first year I firmly believe we'd have a SB. He just hated Schitty, and wanted to stick it to GB
    IMO, the Favre trade was the start of Woody's irrational behavior when it came to matters of HIS team. Young promising HC and GM that make three solid first picks to build a championship franchise: Two strong OLmen in D'Brick and Mangold and what turned out to be a disappointment in Clemens. Three picks in the first two rounds to build and grow with a young praising HC. While Clemens struggled, he still showed enough promise to at the very least be given a full year to truly evaluate him. Bringing in a prima Dona, HOF to be qb, who didn't want to be here undercut Mangini, and the rest was history. Bye, bye philosophy of building a strong unit for years to come. The quick fix never works and its the directions our owner has taken ever since to the trade for Farve.

Like Krafty the Drunk?

Maybe bring in some Serial Killers to set back our team a little?

IMO, the Favre trade was the start of Woody's irrational behavior when it came to matters of HIS team. Young promising HC and GM that make three solid first picks to build a championship franchise: Two strong OLmen in D'Brick and Mangold and what turned out to be a disappointment in Clemens. Three picks in the first two rounds to build and grow with a young praising HC. While Clemens struggled, he still showed enough promise to at the very least be given a full year to truly evaluate him. Bringing in a prima Dona, HOF to be qb, who didn't want to be here undercut Mangini, and the rest was history. Bye, bye philosophy of building a strong unit for years to come. The quick fix never works and its the directions our owner has taken ever since to the trade for Farve.
    Maybe they all knew Clemens sucked... Nah. Probably not.
    What could they POSSIBLY know over the great Copernicus?