Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questionable call to rush Geno?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    The obvious reason that the media is now backing Sanchez and trying to kill Idzik for letting Geno have a shot is b/c the "circus" narrative can continue as long as Sanchez is the QB. They can continue to talk about the "butt fumble" every week while showing Jets highlights. And lets face it, the media is now all about shock journalism. Geno doesn't offer that, Sanchez does. The worst case scenario for the NY media and ESPN is that the Jets start Geno and the team is good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The obvious reason that the media is now backing Sanchez and trying to kill Idzik for letting Geno have a shot is b/c the "circus" narrative can continue as long as Sanchez is the QB. They can continue to talk about the "butt fumble" every week while showing Jets highlights. And lets face it, the media is now all about shock journalism. Geno doesn't offer that, Sanchez does. The worst case scenario for the NY media and ESPN is that the Jets start Geno and the team is good.
    +1

It would be a major disaster to them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I hate to let facts get in the way, but the "knock" against Geno (from people who were at practice) is his footwork, pocket presence, command of the huddle -- IOW he has shown the physical ability to play in the league, he just needs to get more reps under his belt.

You can argue those reps should come during a game (I disagree if the coaches don't think he's ready) but regardless he's far from the "obvious choice".

To each his own, but I'm much more in the "let Sanchez hang himself" camp than the "anyone but Mark" one . . .
    Please provide a source from where you got that info. I'm really hoping you're not talking about "fans" who were on the sideline 30 yards away with their untrained eyes making those characterizations. I also hope it's not from the print media who have no idea how to play football let alone scout a QB. Provide a legitimate football source by name who has said those things besides footwork.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    IMO, the Favre trade was the start of Woody's irrational behavior when it came to matters of HIS team. Young promising HC and GM that make three solid first picks to build a championship franchise: Two strong OLmen in D'Brick and Mangold and what turned out to be a disappointment in Clemens. Three picks in the first two rounds to build and grow with a young praising HC. While Clemens struggled, he still showed enough promise to at the very least be given a full year to truly evaluate him. Bringing in a prima Dona, HOF to be qb, who didn't want to be here undercut Mangini, and the rest was history. Bye, bye philosophy of building a strong unit for years to come. The quick fix never works and its the directions our owner has taken ever since to the trade for Farve.
    Dude, he's not even in the league anymore. And that prima dona HOF was 8-3 before he got hurt. Were you complaining then? Probably b/c you revel in anything bad that happens to the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Are you ever not whining?
    Yes, I posted yesterday that I really liked the Wr that the Jets signed. Just calling it like I see it, and I believe it's the owner who has made us a laughing stock again

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty boring article. If Smith doesn't start, the article is "are Jets taking a risk by being too conservative?" It's a no win situation for the concept of actual reporting. Sports Hacks don't have opinions anymore, they have contrarian b!tching points, it's quite sad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, he's not even in the league anymore. And that prima dona HOF was 8-3 before he got hurt. Were you complaining then? Probably b/c you revel in anything bad that happens to the Jets.
    Who could forget Cop's whining over Favre using yellow green bay shoulder pads..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I posted yesterday that I really liked the Wr that the Jets signed. Just calling it like I see it, and I believe it's the owner who has made us a laughing stock again
    how are the Jets a laughing stock this year?

by selecting the best QB prospect in the draft and getting him at good value in the 2nd round?

by letting said QB battle it out in training camp and preseason with the incumbent?

by finally hiring a competent OC and QB coach to try to turn the offense around and hopefully match the success of our defense?

because since the seasons hasn't even started, those are the most significant moves that the Jets have made this year. so, which one perpetuates the notion that the team is a laughing stock?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Clemens did not work out in the long run obviously, that is not the point. Football, more than any other sport is the situation a player is in as we'll as his ability. IMHO, Clemens should have been given another year before going in another direction. There are many examples of qbs who do not succeed at first and then blossom later ( Alex Smith, Steve Young, Testeverde, ect). At that specific time of the trade, I thought it was too early to give up on a high second round pick, the evidence will now say I was wrong because Clemens never emerged as a bonfified NFL qb.

Yes, Favre lead to to 8-3 before he got hurt. But what price did we pay for this? 1) HC that was hesitant to pull the HOF starting QB even when his injury and play was obviously hurting the team 2) strong evidence that Favre was treated much differently and it divided the locker room 3) Eventual firing of a promising HC who's philosophy of working hard and keeping your mouth shut letting your play on the field speak for you is a recipe for success in any line of work especially sports.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of who should should start, what I continue to be upset with is the manipulation of our owner in regards to football matters. Whenever he adds his two cents about the team I cringe. He continues to use the media in a manipulative way that hurts the teams chances of being successful. From Favre, to Tebow, to the picture of Geno "working hard", and everything in-between, it is so unbelievably childish and most importantly detrimental to the team.
    WTF are you talking about?

What the hell has Woody had to do with Geno? You think he's behind everything Geno? You think the guy who shelled out over a billion dollars for HIS team can't comment about a draft pick?

Only a fool would think this is important. Ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really hard not to think of you as nothing more than the whiner you present yourself as being.

Jets are a laughing stock? You have problems that go deep

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    how are the Jets a laughing stock this year?

by selecting the best QB prospect in the draft and getting him at good value in the 2nd round?

by letting said QB battle it out in training camp and preseason with the incumbent?

by finally hiring a competent OC and QB coach to try to turn the offense around and hopefully match the success of our defense?

because since the seasons hasn't even started, those are the most significant moves that the Jets have made this year. so, which one perpetuates the notion that the team is a laughing stock?
    Thanks for the response DS, I would totally agree with your post except that a total cleaning house did not happen making for a potential wasted and awkward season.

Love the Idzik hiring even with the hiccups of his off season signings ( Garrard, Goodson, Ivory). I thought it was a step n the right direction. Just can't take when Woody and Rex open their collective mouths. I don't believe a word of what they say and at this point it is impossible for me to comprehend how Rex can still speak as if he is ignoring the offense after all that has been written on this subject.

Idzik seems like a no nonsense guy. This is the type of personality and philosophy that wins championships. I think Rex' smack talking, boisterous personality without backing it up and Woody's constant meddling give the media every reason to label us as clowns
    Last edited by copernicus; 08-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Favre was a good move. If he doesn't hurt his shoulder who knows what happens.
    I know I was excited as hell about that trade!
    And if he had stayed Rex' first year I firmly believe we'd have a SB. He just hated Schitty, and wanted to stick it to GB
    If he hated Shotty how do you think he would have felt about Rex . You think Rex was coming in year one and was just gonna let a QB do whatever he wants.
    No way , it was G&P or bust.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response DS, I would totally agree with your post except that a total cleaning house did not happen making for a potential wasted and awkward season.

Love the Idzik hiring even with the hiccups of his off season signings ( Garrard, Goodson, Ivory). I thought it was a step n the right direction. Just can't take when Woody and Rex open their collective mouths. I don't believe a word of what they say and at this point it is impossible for me to comprehend how Rex can still speak as if he is ignoring the offense after all that has been written on this subject.

Idzik seems like a no nonsense guy. This is the type of personality and philosophy that wins championships. I think Rex' smack talking, boisterous personality without backing it up and Woody's constant meddling give the media every reason to label us as clowns

Rex and Woody
    How the hell is Ivory a hiccup? Because he tweaked a hammy and missed a few weeks of practice? Are you kidding or the ultimate whiner?

No wonder you see the team as clowns.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    If he hated Shotty how do you think he would have felt about Rex . You think Rex was coming in year one and was just gonna let a QB do whatever he wants.
    No way , it was G&P or bust.
    Yes, he would have.

You're confused by Favre and Sanchez. You seriously believe that Rex would have gone G&P with Favre? I know he's your love but Rex smartly went G&P because his QB was incapable of anything more. You see G&P and believe its Rexs philosophy when its what he was reduced to given Sanchezs inexperience. Then after the results when they tried to open it up later.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of two things will happen: Either Geno will do well and convince everyone that he should start this year, OR the Giants D will pin it's ears back and destroy this kid, messing his head up, making him scared to play, and he'll be Mark Sanchez the 2nd.

We'll know for sure very shortly.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knock 'em dead tonight Geno and show ole Dick how little he really knows about NFL football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    WTF are you talking about?

What the hell has Woody had to do with Geno? You think he's behind everything Geno? You think the guy who shelled out over a billion dollars for HIS team can't comment about a draft pick?

Only a fool would think this is important. Ridiculous.
    With a qb competition that has so much to do with our direct, and future success, why in the world would an owner who has no football background send out a pic of an individual player "working hard." If I were one of the 53 plus other players I'd be somewhat offended. Last time I looked, football was a team sport.

I'd have no problem if Woody sent out a pic of the entire team or even one of the units with the same message bc the message would be "we are a team and all in this together" But an individual? What Woody did (and does) is continue to divide this team with his ridiculous, childish behavior and meddling.

Must has been a great confidence booster for Sanchez (who may be are starting qb) after seeing that pic from Woody of "Geno working hard"

What if Idzik, Rex, and MM really believe that Sanchez should start but feel hesitant now be they know the guy who is signing their checks and has no professional football coaching knowledge thinks "Geno is really working hard?"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article lost all credibility with me when the author wrote: "He doesn't want that kind of karma in his stadium, and when Johnson doesn't want something -- well, look what he did to Darrelle Revis.
    "WTF did Woody do to Darelle Revis besides draft him, pay him millions, only to have him (Mevis) threaten to hold out virtually every training camp over money? Darelle Revis is a punk a$$ greedy kid who basically annoyed himself out of NY and into obscurity in TB. Goodbye Darelle enjoy playing before an empty stadium every week.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me ask you something...

You're the Giants 1st string D... are you gonna let this rookie beat you? Or are you gonna come gunning for this kid? It will be the same all season if they start Geno. Every defense will be amped, because they're not gonna get beat by a rookie. The Jets are rushing this. They need to work this kid in SLOWLY. Don't repeat the same mistakes they made with Clemens and Sanchez.