Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie cops shoot 14-year-old dead

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie cops shoot 14-year-old dead

Thoughts? People are upset that the cops didn't try to wing this thug. He already fired a shot at someone, refused to put the gun down and had shot someone a few months earlier yet the family is outraged? Seriously? The whole family should be in jail for allowing this POS to be on the street in the first place.

Rookie cops shoot 14-year-old dead after teen shot at fleeing man in South Bronx

By KIRSTAN CONLEY

Last Updated: 10:56 PM, August 4, 2013

Posted: 9:20 AM, August 4, 2013

G.N. MILLER/NYPOSTPolice and forensic teams at the scene of the shooting in the South Bronx

Police shot and killed an armed teen in the South Bronx early today after the suspect chased and shot at another man, then refused to drop his gun, police said.

Two rookie cops heard shots fired near East 151st Street and Courtlandt Avenue around 3 a.m. and ran in the direction of fire, police said. The uniformed officers saw Shaaliver Douse, 14, of the South Bronx, chasing another person through the streets, according to cops.

Douse, who was arrested in May on attempted murder charges for shooting a 15-year-old, fired at the man running on East 151st Street this morning, police said.

Two rookie cops, assigned to the high-crime area on an Impact team, just months after graduating police academy, identified themselves as police officers and told Douse to drop the gun, according to an NYPD statement.

Douse refused and one of the officers fired one round, striking the gunman in the jaw, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators recovered a blood-spattered Astra A 100 9mm semi-automatic handgun at the scene, cops said.

No one else was injured, according to police.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly dismissed suggestions that the cops should have wounded the boy instead of killing him.

“You shoot to stop. You can’t shoot to wound. That only happens in Western movies,” Kelly said at a press conference at NYPD headquarters.

“Regardless of the circumstances, this is a crushing blow to any parent,” he said.

Asked if Douse was the youngest person to be fatally shot by a cop, Kelly replied, "I don't recall any other at this juncture. There may have been, I just don't recall."

Douse's family was furious.

“They're making it all up,” said his aunt, Quwana Barcene. “There was no gun. It’s all a cover-up. It’s what the police do. They kill us and cover it up.

“It’s not fair. It was my sister’s only child. You shouldn’t have to bury your child. My beautiful nephew got shot in the head. A mother of one now has to bury her only child.”

Douse was slain yards from Alfred E. Smith HS, where relatives said he went to school.

The two officers, ages 26 and 27, were taken to Jacobi Hospital for ringing in the ears and trauma, police said.

Douse had a court appearance scheduled for Aug. 23, for weapons possession, records show.

kconley@nypost.com

NYPDA gun recovered at the scene
    G.N. MILLER/NYPOST

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc.
    nypost.com , nypostonline.com , and newyorkpost.com are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.
    Copyright 2013 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy | Terms of Use

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    “They're making it all up,” said his aunt, Quwana Barcene. “There was no gun. It’s all a cover-up. It’s what the police do. They kill us and cover it up.
    It's amazing how many in some communities truly believe this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Shaaliver had killed the person he was shooting at the other family would be screaming "Where were the police?!?!".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The parents, or whoever was in charge of raising this kid, failed miserably. 14 years old and running around firing off a gun. They don't care when he's alive, but they make a big show about it in caring when he's dead. Too late. Your fault.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kid was an animal and I agree with you completely here. The videos of this animal shooting and chasing are pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    The parents, or whoever was in charge of raising this kid, failed miserably. 14 years old and running around firing off a gun. They don't care when he's alive, but they make a big show about it in caring when he's dead. Too late. Your fault.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully they got him before he reproduced...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know whats more ridiculous. The fact that this kids name is Shaaliver or the fact that this kid was hanging out untill 3am at 14 years old.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    This kid was an animal and I agree with you completely here. The videos of this animal shooting and chasing are pretty clear.
    Oh, the police doctored up a video too???? Will they stop at nothing?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to be very critical of the police. I can't see how anyone could fault then for shooting and killing someone who has already fired his weapon and won't put it down.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    It's amazing how many in some communities truly believe this.
    That quote is ridiculous... the kid had a pending court appearance for weapons possession, and the family still insists that its a set up. Apparently to them, all cops have throw down pieces to frame the innocent. Until this sort of attitude changes, I don't see a lot of hope for inner city violence being reduced.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Thoughts? People are upset that the cops didn't try to wing this thug. He already fired a shot at someone, refused to put the gun down and had shot someone a few months earlier yet the family is outraged? Seriously? The whole family should be in jail for allowing this POS to be on the street in the first place.
    Not you Trades, but I'll never get over just how pervasive this thought-process truly is. For the uninformed, in NYC police officers are trained to shoot center-mass. This is to ensure two things; 1) the proper use of what is deadly physical force, the use of a firearm and 2) to reduce the risk of injury to anyone other than the intended target.

The rest of it is just a variation on the same old tired quatrain, "he was a good boy".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Not you Trades, but I'll never get over just how pervasive this thought-process truly is. For the uninformed, in NYC police officers are trained to shoot center-mass. This is to ensure two things; 1) the proper use of what is deadly physical force, the use of a firearm and 2) to reduce the risk of injury to anyone other than the intended target.

The rest of it is just a variation on the same old tired quatrain, "he was a good boy".

he was on his was to get skittles......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    he was on his was to get skittles......
    after coming from choir practice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Shot hit the kid in the jaw - that's not center-mass. No question the shooting was justified, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Shot hit the kid in the jaw - that's not center-mass. No question the shooting was justified, though.
    That's the reason to AIM at center-mass. Because, although you may be a good shot and proficient with your weapon, you're not going to hit the 10-ring on every shot. Especially in traumatic situations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recoil.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Recoil.
    Plus a rookie cop probably nervous and scared as hell.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus a rookie cop probably nervous and scared as hell.
    I can't imagine what that kid feels like. He was justified but taking the life of a 14 year old must be hard no matter how bad of a kid it was.

I sympathize with LE in times like this. If they don't respond and that kid kills someone they get blamed for not protecting innocent minorities. If they kill him they get blamed for hunting young minority men. If they aim for the legs they might end up getting themselves killed. Thankless job under those circumstances.